Poll

Is the inclusion of the "Rp Covenant" and new tips on rping sufficient for you?

Yes
No
Snorks

Author Topic: Rp Rules?  (Read 4424 times)

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
Re: Rp Rules?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 10:17:56 pm »
I voted snorks because I don't think anyone is really going to care about this.

All the people who think RP in PS should be governed by a cabal are wrong.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:20:13 pm by Tuxide »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 10:18:46 pm »
I don't hate you. I hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere, or stop complaining and MAKE it here.

Raekh

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 10:30:39 pm »
For months and years I tried to add providing atmosphere by planning plots hosted for involving other players.

Recently I attempted to revive the "Covenant" thread and it gets locked since you apparently dont care?
MAKE it here
Means? (Of course this cant but has to be understood rhetorically.)

I hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 10:37:49 pm »
For months and years I tried to add providing atmosphere by planning plots hosted for involving other players.

Recently I attempted to revive the "Covenant" thread and it gets locked since you apparently dont care?
MAKE it here

I hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere

I recall my 'No' and input a 'Yes'. I know now that it's a 'community effort' and the development team can only go so far in enforcing roleplay. Players who act in clear, non-RPs on Laanx can and are dealt with by Game Masters. Players making roleplays considered lesser or insufficient to some standard should be gently pushed in the right direction by the community.

Raekh: You're deleting your account, just as Lhaa and Aiwendil did, you're basically throwing your last thoughts before you leave. You aren't going to make anything better, or work for anything to improve the game, BUT YOU ARE JUST LEAVING AFTER WHINING.

Whats the point?

None at all.

I don't hate you. I hope you find what you are looking for elsewhere, or stop complaining and MAKE it here.

It means if you're going to be part of the community and aren't just going to whine, that he would like you to do something about it.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:46:06 pm by bloodedIrishman »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 10:39:19 pm »
The covenant is now IN GAME as it was agreed to. Every new player will see it.

I instigated the OSP events for rpers to have a chance to own property and use it.

I added many bits of advice on proper rp to the server tips.

I hire more rp oriented gms so policing botting wasn't the only task gms do and events became a greater focus.

I did all of this to please the rp crowd.

The team built a second server for non-rpers, and has banned many distracting players.

All of these efforts have met with more criticism, demands that we go further.

PlaneShift is made by a team of developers, not all of them agree with very strict rules, and we simply don't have the people-power to police rp in the way that SOME people seem to want it done.

We are talking about many many man-hours of work, hours of people's lives, that they'll never get back, that they aren't compensated for in any way.

I wish people could take a step back and realize how demanding they sound. Instead of complaining about the state of the game, team up and train new people, HELP something because all the QQ isn't helping anyone, and more importantly it isn't helping YOU realize the game you want to see.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 11:39:49 pm »
I'm going to follow bloodyIrishguy's move and switch to yes.

All you RPers who say that the devs and GMs don't do enough, look what happened when Naimon and Vvallace griefed the server (at seperate times)? They were banned. People who do not adhere to the simple RP rules on Laanx and are reported are warned, kicked and banned.

Policing the quality of RP past this point is wrong and elitist.

</rant>

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 12:27:47 am »
I vote yes as the only other thing left to do is be thought police and we all know how well that goes.  ::)

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 12:45:32 am »
Yes - 23 (53.5%)
No - 8 (18.6%)
Snorks - 12 (27.9%)

Only posts from people who voted for 'no' or 'snorks' until now.
I voted for 'yes', because it is a good start in my opinion. We will have to wait and see if more needs to be done.

hey, "meow" means yes in sarrasaur!

and in case a few whiny roleplayers forgot, there's this /report feature... if you see something, report it. no one follows guidelines anyway. or laws irl. hence we have police. you report lawbreaking to them.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:51:13 am by Sarras Volcae »

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 06:47:14 am »
I start to wonder what the point of the poll is, if only one opinion is allowed.
When I say I would like to see the rules enforced doesn't it mean, that I demand the gms to be everywhere at anytime. At this point I only said I would like to see the rules enforced. (there is a full stop). Now, to go a step further, I refer to some other thread where it was suggested to use petitions as first step in enforcement. So the question for me is, if petitions can be a good way, or if there is a better way.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2009, 07:00:22 am »
Please consider this.

My character was just leaving Gug, walking down the ramp, when he sees several people all running about. They seem to be running to get out of the path of a rogue Dlayo gladiator. My character kills the gladiator, then gets yelled at by someone for messing something up, then witnesses a bit of over-sensationalized violence pretending to be RP (yuk), asks about the Dlayo and gets no response (except through a tell later with a comment that they were too bust RPing to pay attention to my character), then later when back at the Stonehead tavern hears one of those RPers shout "bye guys where ever you are re i gtg:)!" in main.

not much fun,
but then

I have found some of the best RP to be spontaneous, in which my character just happens to play a part (sometimes big, sometimes small), but makes a difference in the story. ...and these are not found on the forums, they are special stories, enjoyed by those involved and maybe told to others. The best are just being somewhere at some moment and making a difference, changing the story and only being a piece of it.

so "rules"?, well let's just have some fun, keeping it within the settings and considering everyones story can be just as enjoyable.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:02:37 am by Zytorr »

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 07:48:37 am »
I have found some of the best RP to be spontaneous, in which my character just happens to play a part (sometimes big, sometimes small), but makes a difference in the story. ...and these are not found on the forums, they are special stories, enjoyed by those involved and maybe told to others. The best are just being somewhere at some moment and making a difference, changing the story and only being a piece of it.

This, this and this. I couldn't agree more. But I don't see how that's an argument against RP rules.

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 08:57:24 am »
  I voted "yes", as the "covenant" seems to me to be a very strong suggestion as to how we play our character.  I am still fairly new, and need help; the characters that help me in game by role-playing add charm (and relief).  They also help teach me how to role-player, by example.
my name is Sanrai ;)

Janner

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 10:58:38 am »
Do you not have sufficient rules in real life to live by and be controlled by ?
 Lets see, WHY do I play a game ?
1. Main reason to have fun.
 2. To get away from real world rules.
 3. Do others around me have fun when I play? I like to think so, as I try my best not to upset anyone, and be nice and helpful.
 4. Do I RP, yes in my own way, [Point to note here, there are many ways to RP] trying to fit in with the settings and not god modeing, as that is a lame excuse for bad RP.
 5. If I feel my character should die in a RP, then he does.
 6. IF a player asks me for or to give advice, I listen and see if I can give advice.
 7. Would rules for RP make me want to stop playing, SORRY but yes it I probably would, reason; My way is not always the right way, but I get along with almost all I talk to, as well as them getting along with me, so as I show respect for others and they me, so I see no need for rules at all, and I think the covenant is a good guide line to follow.

As for how YOU can help the GMs police bad RP, report and petition the offending player, that way with a brief detail the GM can go to the report and see what was said. [On report the last five minutes are logged, so please use it]
Glad to help.

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 12:20:50 pm »
Voted snorks because PS is a game and more players makes it better. Extra rules will just make more play on EZPCUSA when there is eventually a wipe.

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 02:15:10 pm »
More players is not always better. Quality players makes it better. There are plenty of lax-rules games out there to bring in the most idiots that PS does not need to become another just so the idiots have something to play.

The 'rules' are pretty straight forward. Act like an idiot, get booted.