Author Topic: Models by age  (Read 1215 times)

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
Models by age
« on: February 02, 2010, 10:55:53 pm »
I've played a number of children players and they of course don't look any bit like children, more like adults [obviously] I think that they should have 4 model setting for age to choose from in future versions:

-Child [I can't see playing a little Ylian, or Dwarf boy when he has a full beard, and actually feel IC!]
-Teen
-Adult
-Elderly [hunchbacks, gray hair, wrinkles, etc]

For what i know, these can apply to all of the races, (maybe not the kran for elderly) but for most. I think it will make the experience of playing a different age other than somebody in their 20's and 30's which is the age that the models seem based around in PS in my opinion. I think that the creation of the age in the model should also impact the stats of the character, say an elderly character would have very low strength, endurance, and agility, but make up in intelligence, will, and charisma. I'm not sure if this has been posted or not before, but it's my major wish out of this game.

-sig by sarras

Dralion1221

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Re: Models by age
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:07:47 pm »
I think we just need a height adjuster for now lol.

A lot of this stuff would probably come in say, 2-3 years? Especially with all the other stuff going on right now.

Tadano Hitoshi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:09:11 am »
I really like this idea (though I`d be happy with child/adult/elderly).
Would you impose skill limits depending on character age? I`d find it rather unbelievable to find children with maxed sword and heavy armour skills (perhaps also attribute limits so a child cannot have the strength to wear platemail, etc). And, at the other end: a degrading of physical skills and abilities as your character becomes elderly?

In the short-term, some more face-options at character creation (from pimples to wrinkles) and the ability to remove beards could be used to present youth or age.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:29:51 am »
Indeed...

We still lack of even one model - and you already "demand" several for each single race and gender. ;)

Find an exceptional modeller and animator who enjoys spending his leisure time for us, and we will have it "soon (tm)". :thumbup:

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:47:06 am »
as of yesterday it's possible to have differently sized models at the same time ... but... this comes at the cost of ram use... each size must have an unique model in ram

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 03:58:28 am »
There are reasons for the lack of children in Yliakum which will be revealed in the fullness of time
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 06:49:14 pm »
I must say, it's hard enough modelling one model for each race, let alone children too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:48:13 pm by Akkaido Kivikar »

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:32:39 am »
There are reasons for the lack of children in Yliakum which will be revealed in the fullness of time

they were sold to gypsies or eaten by ulbers?

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:37:02 am »
Time isn't full yet so I can't say :p
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »
in some cases, the oja kikiri might have gotten to a few lil enkis'
>:D
ps that thing is DEADLY to unarmourd people :\
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Syenna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 05:00:15 pm »

...or perhaps they toss them into the Stone Labyrinths as a peace offering to what lurks there... :devil:

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 05:20:36 pm »
@ligH I wasn't "demanding" I was wishing.

@Mordraugion You said a "lack" of children. That means there are still children.

@Akkaido Supposedly they can't afford to get more RAM or whatever it is they can't afford so they can improve on models. [I dunno what it is. I'm not computer friendly] The reason I suggest the developers rob a bank!  :devil:

@Developers: Don't listen to me...I have...bad ideas...(with the exception of models by age!)

-sig by sarras

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 06:53:47 pm »
You're obviously not 3D art friendly. People with the skill, nay, talent, to make fully animated, functional, non-dorky looking humanoid models... are as rare as hen's teeth.

Hence, PlaneShift has not finished all race models yet. With the races not even having an individual model each, it's a bit much to be asking for and entirely extra seperate model on top of it.

One of my own quiet ideas (that I don't wish for, it'd be alot of work) is for extra feature meshes to be added, such as pot bellies, an array of noses, chins, ears, etc available so characters can be individualised that way.

Not worth asking for until one model for each race is completed. Same with children. It's obvious that the resources either are not there, or are not ready for such a project, as they have not yet finished the original models for each race.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 01:21:06 am »
@ligH I wasn't "demanding" I was wishing.

But you didn't notice the quotes and the smilie...   :innocent:
__

A simple change in the overall model size won't make a child from an adult. The proportions are different, mostly noticable e.g. between the head and the rest of the body. Not to mention the face as such.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:04 am »
akkaiddo, you're in the wishlist. get used to players wishing for NON-immedidiate changes. geoni doesn't sound demanding and i believe the developers have their priorities straight.