Author Topic: Lagging? Maybe it's really us...  (Read 242 times)

chrischoo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Lagging? Maybe it's really us...
« on: May 11, 2003, 10:24:35 am »
I\'ve noticed that there are some parts of the day (typically about 1400hrs GMT) that the server seems to lag very heavily or appears to go offline. In fact, I\'ve noticed this 3 times this week alone.

I\'m thinking that perhaps this is why some people are complaining of lag, because the problem is sporadic, lasts for a short period of time (15min - 2hrs) and doesn\'t register on our server.

The Planeshift server is hosted in the Pacific Internet Data Centre here in Singapore, and is hooked up via a shared 10Mbps connection. We\'re not exactly clear who we\'re sharing this with, but because we have noticed that there are periods of extreme lag or packet loss we\'ve communicated this to our ISP and hope they will be able to work out what\'s wrong.

Unfortunately due to the problem not being one sticks out like a sore thumb all we have are clues as to what might be the cause. I\'ll keep you guys updated on this rest assured, since our entire website and all our services seem to go offline during these periods.

We\'re not the only guys affected it seems. You might want to check our neighbours out (203.81.47.28 - wireless-friends.com) and see how they suffer with us whenever we hit these rough patches in bandwidth.

;(

Atanor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 09:38:47 am »
I would tend to say that your computer is overloaded by PS (which eats all your resources )

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 12:49:00 am »
On what data do you base this conclusion, Atanor?

Atanor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 11:55:16 am »
Just the fact that only a P3 3Ghz and a Geforce FX with 128Mb was able to make the game without a lag for me... So I would say that lags on the net aren\'t so important or at least won\'t make the game run at 5/10 FPS like on my GeForce 2MX...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 11:56:23 am by Atanor »