Author Topic: An old newbie  (Read 2401 times)

Satha

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Satha's Quarter
An old newbie
« on: February 26, 2010, 08:44:13 am »
Hey there, though I have been 'playing' for quite a while, I still feel a lot like a newbie, due to the extreme lack of RP I have been able to do over the years.

I start and stop playing PlaneShift like the common cold, coming and going through the different seasons. At the moment it's reminiscing season, so I'm attacking old games and trying to get back into them.

My main problem with these games, is my lack of confidence in communicating with people. And if I don't make friends, I tend to go away. The last time I played PS, (a few months ago or so, I can't remember) I made a last ditch effort to join a guild to help force me into RPing with others. Unfortunately it seemed like the guild was dying and/or I was never online when others were.

Today I realised that perhaps I need to make friends first.

I humbly request someone to be my PlaneShift Big Buddy, and put up with my shy newb-like attempts to RP with them, perhaps introduce me to others, and help me on my happy journey along the road to RP land?  :surrender:

The only thing would be that they can be online around about the same times that I am, or it wouldn't work at all. I live in Australia, and would be more likely to play during the later hours of the day and night.  :-\

I just feel like I need a little push in the right direction.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read this, whether you can help or not.  :love:
*Signature Pending*

Rigwyn

Re: An old newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 12:55:28 pm »

Ok, You have just made an excellent beginning !   \\o//

Now the first question that comes to mind is this.. What sort of characters would your character fit in with ?

Keep in mind the player ( you ) is like the author of a book or a movie. Your character is like a character in that book.
One of the characters I play is a criminal. He would get along just fine with your character if your character was interested in becoming a criminal or sorts.

There are many of us who play *good* characters, and characters that are not so easily defined.

Do you have some idea of what sort of character you would like to start out with ?
If you have no idea then thats fine .. you might want to start out with the good guy crowd   :innocent:  and then turn evil later  :devil:

** Oh, and this is an Out Of Character post, so if you wish to join the dark side, its safe to say so here  ;)

Satha

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Satha's Quarter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »
Oh thanks so much for the reply Rigwyn, I was worried I was going to be ignored.  \\o//

Well, I have two characters I've started. One is probably a bit of goody goody, but the other I intend to be a bit.. weird, and she could easily go ether way. Both of them could go ether way really, I've been trying to resist developing them too much on my own until I can get them in some stable RPness so that they can evolve further and such.

Hmm...I think I would prefer to start with the weird one actually, as I made her so I could make mistakes and it wouldn't matter so much.. because it would not be weird for her to say something stupid. :P Her name is Ensira, I believe. I can't remember her full name, and I'm not at home to be able to check. But yes, I can tell you more about her or Satha (the other one) if you like. I'm all ready to go, just need someone to start with. :detective:

*Signature Pending*

Rigwyn

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »

Ok,
I'm not on much but some good places to fine role players are:

Kada el's in hydlaa
The stonehead in gugrontid

Ojaveda might be an interesting place too.. Look for some menki's who are patroling the city.

Some good rp guilds include
Kore irka clan
House cheshire
Royal house of purrty
The Outlaws. :)
Brotherhood of talad
Daughters of xiosia

While the nametag and guild tag is ooc information, players in these guilds
Should be good people to meet.

Satha

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Satha's Quarter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 10:05:39 pm »
Oh.

Has Ojaveda suddenly gotten more people going there often, because every time I went some months ago I saw no one. And if on the rare occasion I did see someone, they seemed only interested in running to the next place, or fighting someone, or anything but RP. Hydlaa tavern I saw some people sometimes, and I got into an RP with people once or twice, nothing special, but it really never felt like a reliable place to go. (I never saw someone I RPd with again, btw.) And for the life of me I can't remember where Gurgontid is.... I think I've been there only once.

See, my issue is not being able to FIND people, and you've just told me to go find them where I've been looking and can't.  :-\

I guess I could try contacting some of the guilds.

Thanks for the help.  :)
*Signature Pending*

Marathal

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:20:37 pm »
There are few things you might want to think about, Satha (and a welcome from the GM team, btw):

The majority of the players are either in Europe, UK or North America.  You may not be finding that many people because of your time zone.  Weekends however, might be a better time for you to connect with more rp'ers because, of course, more people have more time to play (and stay up later) then.

A few months ago our player numbers were down, so there weren't as many players on the server as there are now because of a number of issues.  The current updates have drawn more people back into the game. 

The respawn points of races used to be at different points throughout Yliakum.  The Enkis would respawn in Ojaveda, the Kran in Gugrontrid and other races throughout Hydlaa.  Due to the numbers, everyone was made to respawn behind Harnquist's shack in Hyldaa so that more rp is encouraged.  RP takes place throughout the game, but your best bet to connect with players would be in Hydlaa.

Also, quests were wiped after 5.1, and with that, everyone lost their access to the Winch, or the Black Flame Temple, etc.  Also, you need winch access in order to obtain mounts.  Therefore, there are a lot of people busy redoing the quests so they can get their mounts.  So once the mount-obtaining frenzy is over, you might see more rp going on as well.

Have patience, you will find them.   There are very good rp'ers here and will be more than willing to take you under their wing and show you the ropes.  Good luck!

Satha

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Satha's Quarter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:26 pm »
Okay, I guess I'll just have to be a bit more persistent. Hopefully I can find some people to RP with this time around.  :)
*Signature Pending*

Rigwyn

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:54:42 pm »

You will.
Regarding oja, its been a ghost town however kore irka clan has taken ownership of it ( so to speak ) and an alliance of ankidukai has been formed.
Some .. Er eh.. Nice gentlemen have been launching an assault on the kic...

So if your there at the right time, you could be in for a good time.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 06:34:52 am »
\\o// Wibble Satha! :D

You are invited to a cup of tea.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 12:40:36 pm »
Greetings to ye Satha!

Please look fer me at the STonehead or in Hydlaa...

Roled is a very friendly sort! And he will invite ye fer a beer at the drop of a tria!

Yers,
Roled
a Dermorian with punk rock bright red warrior's topknot and a grand mount named Vanima Fae- Beautiful Soul

"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

DarkShadowSly

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 11:41:34 am »
We have an active guild in the NON role play witch u can chat with all of us, we got some active people and it gets fun chatting sometimes =), post caracter name on the nonrp server and ill send u a guild invite.....have fun!

and me in the other hand, am active every single day

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 07:57:34 pm »
erm you really should check when that post was made, in february of this year.