Author Topic: 5.2.1 seg faults immediately  (Read 1478 times)

CrazyYlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
5.2.1 seg faults immediately
« on: February 28, 2010, 07:34:03 pm »
Had 5.1.1 running beautifully and finally configured all the way I like it, then get told I'm out of date and need to upgrade.  Downloaded newest installer, run it, then try to start game and instant seg fault.  Relevant errors seem to be:
crystalspace.window.x:  XOpenIM() failed
crystalspace.canvas.glx2d:  Failed to open the X-Window!
crystalspace.graphics3d.opengl:  Error opening Graphics2D context.

Have OpenGL and Nvidia driver, all working.  Nothing on system has changed since 5.1.1 which ran great a week ago.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: 5.2.1 seg faults immediately
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:48:55 am »
Had 5.1.1 running beautifully and finally configured all the way I like it, then get told I'm out of date and need to upgrade.  Downloaded newest installer, run it, then try to start game and instant seg fault.  Relevant errors seem to be:
crystalspace.graphics3d.opengl:  Error opening Graphics2D context.

Have OpenGL and Nvidia driver, all working.  Nothing on system has changed since 5.1.1 which ran great a week ago.

looks clearly like it can't open the context: check that you are actually running nvidia drivers and not nouveau (check it's disabled in the kernel config or blacklisted), second check you have the right permissions set for applications to access x server from the user you are running ps - it's not said root will work -

geloren

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 05:57:11 am »
I've seen this before and it is your Nvidia driver.
Either it's not installed, or not properly.
Try to install, reĂŻnstall the Nvidia driver.

CrazyYlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:51:20 pm »
Hmmmm... definitely running nvidia driver, my 2.6.22 kernel predates nouveau :) xlog shows no errors and glxgears gives me 4037.995 fps so its working.  Permissions are the same as I had for 5.1.1, $user:games and I'm running as $user

Error seems to be crystalspace rather than ps.  Does 5.2.x use a different crystalspace than 5.1.x?

geloren

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:57:07 pm »
Your discription indeed confirms that nvidia driver seems ok.

You could try to remove the folder .crystalspace in your home directory. I did that once 'cause i had a suspicion there was something wrong with it and it didn't hurt me.

CrazyYlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 09:58:32 pm »
Tried removing .crystalspace, ps recreated it, but its empty.  Is that a clue?

Also saw that there is a new nvidia driver as of yesterday, so installed that, just to be sure.  Still same error.
Here's the full output when I run "planeshift" in console:

WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.syntax.loader.service.text'
ERROR: Couldn't load plugin with class 'crystalspace.syntax.loader.service.text'!
WARNING: failed to initialize plugin 'crystalspace.graphics3d.shadercompiler.xmlshader'
WARNING: failed to initialize plugin 'crystalspace.graphics3d.shadercompiler.weaver'
WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.syntax.loader.service.text'
ERROR: Couldn't load plugin with class 'crystalspace.syntax.loader.service.text'!
WARNING: failed to initialize plugin 'crystalspace.graphics3d.shadercompiler.xmlshader'
WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.level.loader'
Checking for updates to the updater: Using mirror http://216.6.227.163/xordan/
WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.level.loader'
WARNING: Can not load default shader vars, no iSyntaxService available
Opening GLX2D
Creating Context
ERROR: XOpenIM() failed
Failed to open the X-Window!
Error opening Graphics2D context.
Opening GLX2D
Creating Context
ERROR: XOpenIM() failed
Failed to open the X-Window!
Default shader /shader/std_lighting.xml not available
Default shader /shader/std_lighting_portal.xml not available
WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.renderloop.step.generic.type'
Failed to load plugin crystalspace.renderloop.step.generic.type; pandemonium will ensue.
WARNING: could not load plugin 'crystalspace.rendermanager.unshadowed'
No rendermanager set!
Mounting skin: /planeshift/art/pslaunch.zip
Texture Manager parsing /paws/launcher/imagelist.xml
Segmentation fault

So it starts with crystalspace warnings immediately.  Seems like crystalspace can't even configure itself.

geloren

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:16:38 pm »
I'm out of ideas...
This is something one of the testers or devs should look at.

Quite curious what's causing this

CrazyYlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 03:39:51 am »
Well, found a fix...  I deleted /Planeshift/libs/libX11.so.6 so it would use the one on my system, now it starts.  Getting some odd jerky graphics in spots though, probably should experiment with the other X related ones and see if there's a sweet combination somewhere.

geloren

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »
Thank you very much for sharing this information with us.
I've tried the same thing as i'm experiencing some problems with the client and found the game running better with this adaptation. I renamed the file instead of deleting in case a revert should be needed.

With this confirmation, I'd like to show others this is a rather safe option to try if they experience problems of this kind you discribed.

greetz, and thanks again!

CrazyYlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:23 pm »
Glad it helped.

I ended up removing all the ones that started with "libX", as looking at console output indicated some incompatabilities with mine.  No ill effects so far, and the jerky stuff is now only in specific spots.

I'd guess that if it runs ok on your system libx11, then you are probably better off using libs that are all compiled against the same x11 headers and glibc (but YMMV).

There are only 4 of the Planeshift libs that aren't already on my system, so I experimented with different combinations of the rest, but had some noticable differences in textures when I removed the libpng and libjpg, so in the end I only removed the X ones.  (And yes, I'm just renaming them, not actually deleting them.)

Lirrec

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 12:13:51 pm »
I have the same problem on an ubuntu 9.10, ati drivers.
It actually works as root, but not as normal user. All files are $user:games and 770 (i tried with $user:$user and 777, too). The user is in the games and video groups...
Moving/renaming libraries won't help. Removing ~/.crystalspace and ~/.planeshift won't help...
Any Ideas?  :-\

CrazyYlian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:13:15 pm »
Doubt its the same thing.  The fact it works as root strongly suggests a permission problem, rather than the game.

Not at all familiar with Ubuntu & their permissions, but I'd double check the groups, and also the parent permissions on the directory you installed in.  Also, did you install as root? Make sure $user in your permissions isn't also set as root.

Lirrec

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 12:32:34 pm »
Its definitely not the permissions of the game files, even with a game installed as normal user somewhere in the users home it won't work...
Maybe its the permissions of some libraries oder devices or something... as i'm not normally using ubuntu (its works just fine for my opensuse, it's my brothers ubuntu) i have no real knowledge of the permissions needed, either. other 3d applications work fine.
I'll wait for the next release or possibly someone else with this problem.