Author Topic: PvP and RP  (Read 1080 times)

Nochulas

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
PvP and RP
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:18:02 pm »
You are free to rant a bit on why it should be in the game, but what we need are good ideas and concepts, not "Because I want it" or "Because it is cool" or "Because that is realistic."

The more I look around the more contempt I have for people who think the best use of their time is causing others grief. Don't take this the wrong way, there should be winners and losers in most conflicts. However taking advantage of the less fortunate or of some in-game absurdity will be avoided at all costs.

It seems to me that the primary reasoning behind disallowing PvP is because it would move the game's focus away from RP and would cause players grief. I hope to show how PvP could be implemented in a way to cause no grief, without breaking RP, and still being satisfiable to those who truly enjoy PvP.

The first case I would like to make is that a lack of any open PvP zone does not encourage Role Play, but actually hinders it. Players are encouraged to develop characters in any way they want (the classic polarization of Good and Evil is often brought up). However, an evil character is fundamentally unable to truly play his role. He has no opportunity to be wronged, and hence no opportunity for revenge, and no opportunity to surprise an opponent, and effectively cannot do anything without the consent of the other player. It's fairly obvious, then, that the mechanics of the game are not adequate to allow for a truly dynamic relationship between players.

Often brought up in retort is that the game mechanics are not important to Role Playing. Characters can act out their stories without using the game's mechanics and can effectively betray one another, become enemies and perform evil acts against one another. While I believe that player cooperation is essential to feel-good Role Playing experience, this set-up has a fundamental detractor--their is no uncertainty. No RP story can happen truly spontaneously, you may encounter a surprise, but in the end everything that happens happens according to your consent, and while you can play it realistically, you cannot subject yourself to chance--in the end, the players make all the decisions, removing the very real element of randomness, coincidence and happenstance. Effectively, you play the Role of not just your character but of God as well, with nothing happening outside the control of players.

The problem is with implementing PvP, how does a game designer protect players who do not wish to be harassed, or taken advantage of by other 'evil' characters? The answer is simple, and has been proposed before, but I hope to be making the argument for how it is truly conducive and helpful to the experience. Areas where there is no law, where PvP can happen spontaneously and you can be jumped (and possibly pickpocketed). To allow players to remain safe, there could be paths around every PvP zone, so as to allow every player access to anywhere they wish to travel without having to enter a PvP zone. No character who does not wish to brave such dangerous territory would never have to tread there, and a warning could appear on screen before you arrive so no one could accidentally wander in and be assaulted.

RP could easily be enforced there as well as it is in any area. Players must remain in character or be warned by a GM and then booted. It would not be harder to enforce it in the lawless zones than it is anywhere else. Players would not be able to harm any other player who did not wish to be subjected to the danger. Essentially, it opens more possibilities with no limitations. Such areas would allow players to experience the uncertainty (and thrill that comes therewith) of a real, wide, and sometimes dangerous world.

bloodedIrishman

Re: PvP and RP
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:26:58 pm »
Players would need to attach a stigma within the community to those who grief (for the purpose of griefing) in the specified PvP areas, if this were implemented (assuming that GM's could not punish anyone who killed without roleplay background in the area).

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:30:09 pm »
A) You are arguing for something in game, in an effort to broaden it.

B) Nearly no one makes any use of those areas in game.

C) You are bringing rational debate to a situation in which the irrational will dominate. Open PVP areas, unfortunately, seem to attract griefers more than anyone with legitimate role-play reasons for being evil.

D) The Platinum mine area is pvp, the rogue camp is pvp, and there is a pvp arena in the Arena of Hydlaa. When these locations are made use of and seen to be attractive to the players, we will consider the possibility of broadening the pvp areas.

I apologize if I seem to be repeating myself and saying things I've said elsewhere, but I have no way of knowing what others have read.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:40:09 am »
When players agree to fight with a roleplaying based reason, they can usually also (group-) challenge, or move to such an area -- after flinging the gauntlets manneredly.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:43:30 am »
plus you can put autoaccept in pvp options if you wish free pvp for your char :)

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 02:37:49 am »
D) The Platinum mine area is pvp, the rogue camp is pvp, and there is a pvp arena in the Arena of Hydlaa. When these locations are made use of and seen to be attractive to the players, we will consider the possibility of broadening the pvp areas.

You just made my search easier.

[Do note that if I find it, it will be information privileged solely to those my character can trust with such information.]

As for the subject at hand, I think this topic is against wishlist rules, It has been discussed many times, all the points mentioned were brought forth.

I have not witnessed once in my time in PS a decent RP held in an open PvP area. But the Warriors Rumble Pit came close, though I was not present.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:27:12 am »
Agreed a many times requested feature and on that is available in game but rarely used, locking
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947