Author Topic: Illuminating ogg  (Read 399 times)

bilbous

Illuminating ogg
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:15:30 pm »
I was looking at slashdot today and I saw a linked article slagging Ogg. Do you think there is anything here that is worth reconsidering its use in PS?
I have to say I didn't read it all the way through myself, it is quite technical.

Here is the slashdot discussion
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:25:00 pm by bilbous »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Illuminating ogg
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 02:26:41 am »
Technical note: "Ogg" is only a container; the audio codec is "Vorbis".

Pro: Ogg Vorbis is efficient (clearly surpassing MP3) and patent-free. Using MPEG4 AAC instead (which is about equal in efficiency) might cost license fees.

Con: The Ogg container is not the most efficient and flexible; as long as it only contains Vorbis audio, it is fine, but in case of mixed A/V content, other containers (like Matroska) are to be preferred.

(And the Xiph staff might sometimes not be as flexible as necessary regarding relations with the industry.)
_

Somehow I cannot load the hardwarebug.org site, but our satellite connection is unreliable... or "slashdotting the site" killed it like a DDoS attack, see Wikipedia // P.S.: Long live Google cache.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:30:25 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:30:05 am »
I think Minions of Mirth used Ogg Vorbis. Had a lot of memory leaks on the Mac at least, if I remember correctly.

@LighH: Oh yes indeed. I'm tired. Doing the yearly check in. Be well...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:34:31 am by eldoth_terevan »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:35 am »
Memory leaks are a matter of the implementation, not of the specification. ;)

And I know a lot more games which use Ogg Vorbis as audio format.

According to my own tests, already "Quality level 0" sounds good enough for brief demonstrations or for speakers in mobile players, especially when using the aoTuV psychoacoustic tunings. This is about equal with HE-AAC.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 02:35:45 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty