Author Topic: flickering graphics/textures ingame  (Read 1229 times)

geloren

• Traveller
    • View Profile
flickering graphics/textures ingame
« on: March 15, 2010, 09:27:48 am »
Before I get to the bugtracker with this issue, i'd like to see if i'm the only one with this kind of strange behaviour.

I've run previous releases of PS on my systems without problems (besides some crashes of course).
Since the release hit 0.5.....  i've been having major issues.
I can play the game since two weeks now and its freezing, crashing, and acts very weird. It seems like textures are flickering and let a checkerboard colored pattern through.

I made a video of it, so you can see what's actually happening: http://users.skynet.be/fa492649/textureflicker.mpeg

I'm on openSUSE linux 11.2, ati mobility radeon X1300.
Note that i played previous versions well, with nice performance.

I hope this gets solved as i'm mostly doing bugreports and testing instead of playing the game. (i've been playing a lot and i'm having a break) I'd like to help the devs, but now i need help my own.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:29:41 am by geloren »

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: flickering graphics/textures ingame
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:59:33 am »
Did you try:
  • Updating your graphics drivers?
  • Deleting the shadercache? (usually found in %APPDATA%/PlaneShift or similar).

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

bilbous

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:15:48 pm »
Opensuse sucks and Novell is going down the tubes. However that is besides the point. The shadercache will be in ~/.PlaneShift/

I am not particularly familiar with ati driver support, perhaps someone else will but I think typically the drivers will be some sort of dynamic kernel module thing, whether that is dkms-??? or kmod-??? or something else I do not know. I do know that it is generally recommended to turn off vbo in pslaunch. That flickering is quite annoying.

geloren

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:08:51 pm »
Up to date drivers, shadercache already removed (even more than once, when there are updates being done)
KMS is disabled in kernel config, that wont be the issue. I tried KMS but performance is really crappy.

...so back to the beginning

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:30:49 pm »
Have you upgraded the game recently? the correct version is 0.5.3

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:30:51 am »
that's a bug in graphic drivers. update the graphic stack to head and try again. if it still doesn't work report it in the ati drivers bugtracker (i don't remember what is the correct driver for that series as there are two) you might also want to disable  texture compression which was buggy at least some months ago in these drivers (search texture compression for intel same procedure in the forums)

geloren

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 07:08:55 pm »
updated drivers to latest but i see no diference in game experience.

Editing the file in config folder to disable compression of textures made things worse. With this addapted, some things like rocks, walls and floors do disappear sometimes. So, I reverted this change.

Guess i'll be wandering the plains of Yliakum for a while in flicker.

Is there any change made to the game (the way textures are processing from 0.5 release?) I'm just curious why I got these problems from there and not earlier.

weltall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:23:39 am »
according to cs commit log the textures and vbo objects (try disabling these too) are unloaded less frequently. plus there was a rework of some things. try to get in contact with jorrit.