Author Topic: Resignation  (Read 2457 times)

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Resignation
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:31:30 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been away from PS long enough that probably very few people active on this board even know me.  :-)  But anyway, despite my general rule of thumb on the Internet that anyone who makes a big announcement about how they are leaving is generally just trying to get attention and will be back sooner or later, I'm going to go ahead and make my announcement.

I have just emailed my written resignation to Talad from both PS and Atomic Blue.  It has been a great 8 years, but eventually creative differences and real-life concerns just end up causing even good runs to stop.  I have had a ball working with the dev team (revolving door though it may be), and I would put the core PS engine team up against any other volunteer team in the world.  What a talented, persistent and altruistic bunch of guys.  I have learned more about programming from doing PS than from any job or schooling I have ever had.

To the fans, I hope you continue to be loyal to PS.  As slow and as painful as the process often is, believe it or not the developers build it for you.

So long,
Vengeance

bloodedIrishman

Re: Resignation
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:54:22 am »
So long man, have a good one.

Lolitra, Celorrim Purrty Twins

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • THE ROYAL HOUSE OF PURRTY
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 02:34:37 am »
bye... will miss you.
Her Royal Highness Lolitra Hollinthy Purrty nods regally 'I am delighted to meet you' her tiara twinkles in the crystal light.
[had to remove my signature - as the image host lost it!!!!]

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 03:26:31 am »
Make your 8 (mostly) successful years an important part in your next job application ... if you ever need one.

Fun and success! We appreciated your efforts. Hope we will see you again once in a while. Even if just for a chat.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 05:18:35 am »
Bye Venge, good luck!

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:15:27 am »
Nawww i thought this would happen since i only knew you since you did the google tech talk (think it was you) but never really saw you around on IRC or forums much. So farewell and goodluck for the future. And all the work you have done shall be remembered.

Also hope you come back when you retire :)
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:16 am »
it's been a pleasure working with you.

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 08:52:03 am »
Awww, Venge. Well, thanks for all your efforts! I think you still wrote the most code for PS, so many thanks are certainly in place!
It's been a good 8 years and I wish you much success in your life :)
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

Overtherainbow

• Hydlaa Resident
  • I see you lookin' at mah rainbowz.
    • View Profile
    • EBONWUMON DOT COM
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 09:47:01 am »
Yo, bro, wanna unban me from IRC before you go?

Keldrena

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:06 am »
I'm sorry to see you go. Good luck and you will be missed.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:29 am »
Hi Keith and thanks for all you did in PS up to today, I see that life has taken over, and I tell you it happened to most of the former devs, but ... they returned in one way or another after some time :)

So to me it's surely not a goodbye, I know you will miss PS and you will hopefully come back. In the meantime we will continue to work and make PS the best (real) free game ever, so you will be delighted at your return.

In terms of summarizing your contributions, well ... it will take pages of text, so let's just say you have been one of the pillars of our organization and PlaneShift exists surely also thanks to your work.

"I would put the core PS engine team up against any other volunteer team in the world"

I'm very happy to see people grow through our game. Very often they get better jobs thanks to the fact they have PS in their Curriculum: that's one of the best rewards to me personally, because I know PS changed their lives for the better.

( Note: For the future developers... looks like Keith is giving you the opportunity to step in and drive the next chapter of history! )
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:06:15 am by Talad »

Lhaa

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 12:57:46 pm »

Sifright

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 08:40:56 am »
Well there goes team leader for the server side programs and DB can't see this being a good thing for ps.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 03:33:38 pm »
Don't worry since few years he was more an honorable member than a real coder. He will be missed, but the team is setup to work without him already, so no worries!

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:35 pm »
Don't worry since few years he was more an honorable member than a real coder. He will be missed, but the team is setup to work without him already, so no worries!

Sounds like you are going to miss him  ;D

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.