Author Topic: New faster RP Server!  (Read 4036 times)

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
Re: New faster RP Server!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 06:48:08 pm »
well i dunno about that, the ez ping before i went on my break was around 200 when it was normally around 120
as for the vaka check, its washington state, and we are better then most states :P we can actually grow things with our magical rain.
if i could i'd go further north whereit is colder
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 08:26:19 pm »
Here in New Zealand, Skylab has an average ping of 350ms. Fragnetics used to be 350ms minimum, up to 500/600ms.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16:33 pm »
I live in the U.S. So I do complain.  :P I live in S.C. so that makes things worse. I'm hot, sweaty, stubborn and adding to that I'm laggy. MEH! Oh well, It's just in the plaza for the most part. I just won't be able to jump into the fountain and whatnot. You all will just have to live with my lovely smell.  :love:

*Notice that in this post after the "MEH! Oh well," there is optimism.   :sleeping:

-sig by sarras

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:05 am »
I live in the U.S. So I do complain.  :P I live in S.C. so that makes things worse. I'm hot, sweaty, stubborn and adding to that I'm laggy. MEH! Oh well, It's just in the plaza for the most part. I just won't be able to jump into the fountain and whatnot. You all will just have to live with my lovely smell.  :love:

*Notice that in this post after the "MEH! Oh well," there is optimism.   :sleeping:

For your information, the laggyness you experience in maps like hydlaa has nothing to do with the server. That 'lag' is pure client side and the (lack of) speed of 3D rendering.

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 06:42:31 am »
Thanks for the information, but I'm still going to smell like an Irishman after a while.

-sig by sarras

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 09:15:37 am »
Irishmen aren't known for their smell, unless you've been drinking alot and we hide that well. Get your profiles right noob.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 05:03:42 pm »

Ah, the 'unpredictable' and 'unmitigated' statement of calling somebody a noob Well sir, I sense anger, so I have to give
reason for having thought Irishmen stink. This was my discovery before my last low-down post last night. http://www.doogle.org/ Horrible right? I'm only joking around bloodedIrishman, didn't mean to profile, I just knew that post would stir YOU up.  :P

For your information, the laggyness you experience in maps like hydlaa has nothing to do with the server. That 'lag' is pure client side and the (lack of) speed of 3D rendering.

Greetings,

Anyways, I guess I was wrong about it being the server, but I wonder why plenty of people are experiencing lag? I don't really understand how the speed of rendering works...

-sig by sarras

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 01:24:52 am »
Geoni:

If your avatar stands closely against a wall, all it can see is a part of this one wall - which is a textured flat described by only 4 edge points (vertices) in "ideal" case; now, if the 3D engine is smart enough, it is able to calculate that it only needs to send the attributes of this one flat to the graphic card to get it rendered: The 4 coordinates, the texture, and the lights relevant to its appearance. This calculation is done based on the avatar camera's "frustum", the "pyramid slice" which contains everything visible to the camera (so e.g. anything behind the camera won't be visible anyway, as well as anything outside the viewing angle), with a minimum and maximum distance.

If your avatar is located in a narrow alley, in addition to anything outside the frustum, much of the whole level is also not visible because close standing houses will block the sight already in an early distance. Now what is faster: Sending nearly the whole city to the graphic card and relying on its internal features of rendering them in the right order (e.g. Z-buffer culling), or sorting all objects by location and distance, calculating their visibility in software, and sending only at least possibly visible objects to the graphic card? Is it the sorting and calculation with the CPU or the bus bandwidth of the graphic card which takes more time? - Hard to answer, because it depends on the CPU and GPU model. Some 3D engines are able to "partition" the level automatically, some need a bit support by the level designer. I am not sure what CrystalSpace3D is able to do here, and what PlaneShift developers would need to enable and use to profit from it...

If your avatar is now looking across the plaza, its camera can see most of the houses in Hydlaa at once. Not much close to it could hide most of them. Even though they are smaller and in the background, they still have to be sorted in the right order to be drawn without flickering and peeping-through distant objects. The more objects you can see simultaneously, the slower the rendering gets.

And when the whole scene is rendered several times, overlaying lighting and surface effects, then this difference multiplies.

I have a feeling that city levels are rendered more often than really necessary per frame, but I could not prove it, it is just a guess -- mostly based on the still flickering shadowmap changes (as if there are still concurring shadowmaps).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:29:44 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 06:18:04 am »
the biggest issue in the plaza is the culler takes a lot of cpu time. (worse video card even video cards not designed for gaming fare better with a more powerful cpu per core than a lower frequency cpu with a better gpu)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 05:39:01 pm »
as for the vaka check, its washington state, and we are better then most states :P we can actually grow things with our magical rain.

Ummm same thing isn't it?? The government is still in Washington State because Washington DC is in it. If there was no Washington State there would be no Washington DC and so there would be nothing controlling Sarras  :o :o
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Ummm same thing isn't it?? The government is still in Washington State because Washington DC is in it. If there was no Washington State there would be no Washington DC and so there would be nothing controlling Sarras  :o :o
Washington State and Washington DC are at opposite ends of the US.  *bludgeons Vakachehk with a geography textbook*

Marqsaynt

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 06:43:34 pm »
Washington State: Starbucks and Microsoft.

Washington DC: Politicians.

I can see how he could make a mistake... they both sound pretty evil to me. :P

eldoth_terevan

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 09:12:19 pm »
Washington State is in the Northwest corner of the U.S. Washington D.C. is on the Eastern coast, on the Potomac river. They are about 2,000 miles from each other. Also, Washington State happened in 1889, and Washington D.C. was formed about 100 years before. Heh, lol, OT... and the new server is excellent too!

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 09:40:38 pm »
Washington State: Starbucks and Microsoft.

Washington DC: Politicians.

I can see how he could make a mistake... they both sound pretty evil to me. :P

zing!

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2010, 01:29:30 am »
thats why washington suits me, i use windows, and i lloveee coffee
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?