Author Topic: Some notes from a random stranger.  (Read 3255 times)

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Some notes from a random stranger.
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 02:50:06 pm »
 Well, that isn't what is says it means. Can I just jam this into the BugTracker?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »
What do you want to suggest exactly: To exchange a widely known but probably slightly misunderstood term (Atheist) by a slightly more exact but hardly publicly known term (Agnostic), which has not even a real relevance yet on the game interna? Of course you could create a bug report about it; but in comparison with the more urgent problems (crashes, graphic glitches, memory wasting sound, other memory leaks, wrong textures, missing models, ...), I don't believe it would be considered in the next ... say, 3 years.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 06:00:13 pm »
I don't believe it would be considered in the next ... say, 3 years.

LOL  ;D

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »
 I already said what I suggest; alter the description in character creation to reflect the current views of the option, and to split the option between those who wont believe the gods exist until they see them before their eyes, and those who simply do not wish to worship the gods.
 How could it take three years to finish everything currently on the bug-tracker? Perhaps eight months to a year, but not three. This in particular should take about five minutes to an hour depending on the system, and may be taken care of when whichever programmer involved gets tired of the usual problems.

What does it matter ?

Once all of the different options possible are designed and created, then effects may be added with all of them in mind.

So could someone point me to where the SVN "Subversion" information is? I am trying to get the current version's (0.5.3) source code, but the guide refuses to load, and Source Forge only offers old versions.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:33:25 pm by Nivm »

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 06:40:02 pm »
Nivm, I would suggest following these paths if you wish to improve the game:

1) apply to be a part of the development team. You'll go through a period of prospecting, and you'll see just how many issues the team has to deal with in working on the game.

2) Try not to think "Just because I know a solution, it can be applied at the click of some fingers". Altering such things is actually quite a hard process.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 06:47:56 pm »
 If the process requires more than an hour to change some text for the next update, the process needs work. Anyway, I never want to apply for being a mod, or a developer, or any of those rolls, simply because my enthusiasm will occasionally drop out from under me, or I could forget I ever came here; just like I've forgotten all of yesterday.
 If the application will just get me information though, I'll do it. I still want the source-code to mess with.

Addeline

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 06:57:53 pm »
So could someone point me to where the SVN "Subversion" information is? I am trying to get the current version's (0.5.3) source code, but the guide refuses to load, and Source Forge only offers old versions.

The link on the compiling guide http://planeshift.svn.sf.net/svnroot/planeshift/trunk/docs/compiling.html is to https://planeshift.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/planeshift/trunk/

This gives the latest version of the source.

If set up as the guide says subversion will fetch the latest source code for you.
It is possible to download the source manually (not using SVN).

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 07:05:36 pm »
Thanks!

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 07:16:58 pm »
If the process requires more than an hour to change some text for the next update, the process needs work.

Its not just changing some text, its a settings change to the project. The arguments about it alone will go way over an hour.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 07:31:16 pm »
 I don't really understand what you mean by that, do you know how the text is handled (haven't downloaded source yet; collecting resources) in character selection? Isn't it just set up to take some plain text as an argument for that option?

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 08:43:44 pm »
It is a change to the set and setting of the game. It is not simply a change to some string of text.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 10:01:37 pm »
some text change... the last time the setting team went through the 280 quest  it was quite a feat

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 10:57:01 pm »
 If your talking about player arguments, there are already many on this subject to research and pull ideas from. If wished, I could do such research like I'm working on skill atrophy.
 What do you refer to with "280"?

Why does it appear as though all the manuals and guides on this site are poorly written or unupdated? It's as though the "absolutely no spoilers" attitude has subconsciously leaked into everything.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:32 pm »
Recently the quest and NPC dialogue system was overhauled. This meant every one of the 280 quests had to be re-syntaxed to the new script. An example of why such changes are hard.

By the way, I'd like to play with the source code too.I don't have the time or knowledge of that, so I stick to art.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 12:16:15 am »
 I see, well that was good then, I just guess it will take some work. 280 isn't that large compared to the really good, homebrew DnD games. Do you know what was gained by the overhaul?
 Well, once I get through the current guide, I'll try and make a short and concise one for those who just want to read and edit a few things.

Edit: It turns out the IRC isn't working, or it's a client incompatibility issue.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:53:24 am by Nivm »