Author Topic: Planeshift War  (Read 6048 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Planeshift War
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:09:04 am »
Well in gossip today there was a talk about having a large guild war between good and bad so basically having a massive guild war throughout PS. What do you think about this?

My thoughts is that each guild leader is to say whether they will be on the good or on the bad side. But as we all know there are a lot of good guilds compared to bad ones, so I was thinking for an advantage of the bad guilds is that they get to be secret and good guilds don't. Everyone will have a RP list and picture of everyone on the other side so they 'know' who they are, just so that there isn't confusing. I also think that Hydlaa is a safe zone and no one is allowed to attack in it (other than Villains who will disobey the laws so ther probably will be combat). I also think that no magic should be used, magic can become unfair and no one really will enjoy if it is.

Show what you think?
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Planeshift War
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:33:00 am »
My thoughts is that each guild leader is to say whether they will be on the good or on the bad side.

I would refuse to engage in such a scenario unless there is a well thought RP background and justification for the wars. And the idea as described above would have some massive impact on the general settings.
However, it cannot be wrong to bring a bit more of life to Yliakum with some large scale player events.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 04:05:21 am »
Well I was thinking a evil guild takes a city hostage (like Gugrontid) and begins doing mass murderings in Hydlaa, a good person finds out tells everyone he possible can, and from there on there becomes a huge war. With other guilds alliancing with others forming a good side, and the evil guild will join up with other evil guilds forming the bad side.

About you not wanting to engage with this event, that is fine but you will probably be effected by it. Everyone hopefully will be!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:20:49 am »
If you want to play a guild war, play Guildwars. :P

Like Boni said: Not without reason.

But if you manage to establish a global, unavoidable plot ... well, then I would have to join one side just because of respect for this effort.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:26:55 am »
Sure I can make up a plot, I just need some Villains interested... Vvallace!

I don't want this guild war to be going on forever. Which it could possible happen. But no PlaneShift needs something to attract the noobs to it, the community numbers have rapidly dropped if theres huge raids happening it will catch loads of noobies to PS. Not just the normal boring oh lets talk out of curiosity since thats classified as RP. Something that will be talked about forever. But yes I will try make up a good reason!

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:47:12 am »
Loooooooooooooooooooool.

I'm supporting the "only if it has a reason" argument.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:49:53 am by bloodedIrishman »

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:13:36 am »
Only if it had a reason, and if it did, our guild will still stay neutral  :woot:

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 10:33:17 am »
Just let some of the personal battles between characters keep boiling up, then maybe guilds will conspire against guilds and there will be a reason. Yes, reason would be a great idea.

-sig by sarras

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 10:42:46 am »
Heh, Helen of Troy.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:32:51 pm »
overall it's not a totaly dumb idea but as everyone else said... not without a reason.

heh in a way this reminds me of the sapere magi vs outlaws old war http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=26159.0 <- for anyone interested in an old time read :P

Zon

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Roving Raiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:39:56 pm »
I have one word to say, and with that one word, it consists of two letters . "No."

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 03:45:05 pm »
It can be a good idea but don't start a vast project with half vast plans. Something on this scale will need a back story way more compelling than a city is captured or just mass murders. Not to mention that a guild war is difficult at this time as most of PS's guilds are either inactive or down to less than a handful active. A better idea would be coming up with something that individual characters could rally behind whether their guilds agree or not. It might even make for some interesting "enemy of my enemy" situations.

The biggest problem with the idea is keeping enough control on it though that it doesn't turn Laanx into EZPC. Getting new people is all nice and good but war in an RP server shouldn't just be a duel fest and many new players will not realize that as it is perfectly acceptable in other MMOs. You will need to do a lot of contingency planning Vakachekh. However, such things have been pulled off in the past so there is no reason why it can't happen again. :D

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »
Yeah, I bazillionth that "not without a reason". And if it was to be done, there should be a haven for those of us that don't wish to participate - saaaay, the cities. Seeing as if some git tried to take over Gugrontid they'd get Malco's hammer to the head faster than you can say "NO FEAR!!!", and mass murders in Hydlaa would be dealt with by the guards.

If you want to take over the cities and duke it out with another guild just for fun, take it to EZPC.

If you want it to do it on SkyLab, have a reason, play out the events that build up to it, and when the time comes to go to war, maybe have each faction camp in the BDroads, march to battle in formation, have the ones leading their troops into battle smack talk a little beforehand, etc.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 03:52:18 pm »
This will work better on EZPC. Even if you have some sort of back story for the war, it doesn't mean that others will accept it. I refuse to guild my characters, so it really doesn't matter to me ultimately, but these things tend to work out in ways not originally intended by the initiators. Usually not for good results either. You could end up making people leave.

Dracaeon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • KJ website
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 04:48:41 pm »
For a reason:  we could make this WWI style and have somebody fairly important be assassinated then alliances follow and soon the whole of Yliakum would be embroiled in a big war.  I always found that to be a bit of a strange reason to start a war, but it's fairly simple to pull off, and it's actually happened before.

This might be interesting to see how my pacifist character would react to it... either go hide in a corner or make a whole 'nother side that will nonviolently protest the war MLK style.