Author Topic: Ads, what you think of it?  (Read 2724 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Ads, what you think of it?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 12:49:12 pm »
Clicking the ads multiple times in a day by the same person will cause PS to be banned by google ads program. They check for "fake" clicks, to ensure the program is useful to the companies that pay for advertizing. Thanks anyway for your support. I appreciate the fact you wanted to act in favor of PS, that's much appreciated. In addition, as part of the program, PS team is not allowed in any way to incentive ads clicking, and so we will not.

So please DO NOT click repeatedly the ads.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 12:51:25 pm by Talad »

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »

:oops: good thing you warned me. I'll just have a system...like every time I make a post, I click an ad.

-sig by sarras

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 10:24:29 pm »
Go ahead; it will help rake in money for you guys. That means one step closer to the Hammerwielder models!!
Where did you hear that money would have any effect on content added? I didn't think Plane Shift had hired anyone to work for them...

Xoel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:26 pm »

:oops: good thing you warned me. I'll just have a system...like every time I make a post, I click an ad.

You're thick, they'll pick it up.
Go ahead; it will help rake in money for you guys. That means one step closer to the Hammerwielder models!!
Where did you hear that money would have any effect on content added? I didn't think Plane Shift had hired anyone to work for them...

It won't have an effect on content unless it's thousands of dollars for assets. What it may affect is server bandwidth, forum bandwith, and hardware on these things.

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 05:39:23 am »
Clicking the ads multiple times in a day by the same person will cause PS to be banned by google ads program. They check for "fake" clicks, to ensure the program is useful to the companies that pay for advertizing. Thanks anyway for your support. I appreciate the fact you wanted to act in favor of PS, that's much appreciated. In addition, as part of the program, PS team is not allowed in any way to incentive ads clicking, and so we will not.

Crap  :@#\

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 07:06:55 am »

You're thick, they'll pick it up.

I'm not exactly thick, and I stopped clicking on the link because it was that same boring "seasons trends" thing. Though, how could I not admire your blatant insult?  :D

-sig by sarras

Irgendwer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 12:23:59 pm »

Crap  :@#\

Just FYI:
AdSense uses quite a lot of mechanisms to track clicks and to prevent click fraud. The obvious two are Cookies and IP addresses (I wouldn't be surprised, if they used browser fingerprinting as well). If you think now that clearing your cookies and cutting your internet connection between each click would do the trick, think again. The third big mechanism (that cannot be betrayed) to prevent click fraud is a web bug on the advertizers "thank you for your purchase page". That is, if AdSense sees a large number of banner clicks, out of which none ever makes it through a purchase, they can pretty much suspect that click fraud is going on and given the fact that there is no shortage in aspiring publishers, they can pretty much afford to kick/ban on the basis of a suspicion alone (yes, the contract, you sign as a publisher explicitly gives them the right to terminate it on whatever reason).

I would also like to note that banners are not mobs that need to be clicked to death and looted afterwards. Advertisers don't pay publishers for getting people to click on their ads (that would be completely pointless!). They pay for the referral. The goal of every banner is to produce some kind of sale out of which the click is  payed.
In other words: if you want to PS to earn an honest buck, you'd have to buy something after clicking a banner. But then again, in that case you could also directly make a donation via paypal or whatever and give the PS team the full sum instead of the breadcrumbs, an advertiser would pay for a lead.

Having said all that. Good luck with AdSense on the forums, Talad. I doubt though, that it will turn into a viable source of income. The PlaneShift community has taken every attempt of inbreeding in the last couple of years ("if you don't wanna roleplay, go play somewhere else"). This is especially true for the forum which only has a couple of frequent posters/readers. You can only make money from AdSense when you have literally thousands of page impressions coming from thousands of different people (remember: each click ideally leads to a purchase. How much stuff can the few hundred PS Players possibly want to buy?).
Well, maybe that will finally lead to the insight that the "PS is only for elite roleplayers" point of view is futile ... Then again ... who am I kidding?

PS: Maybe you want to look into "project wonderful" instead of AdSense for the beginning. Their payout is crap, but unlike AdSense/Adwords you can use your earnings directly for advertizing yourself on other websites without fear of click fraud, as banners do not earn money per click but per time. Webcomics seem to make heavy use of it to shift around their readers, so I guess, while you don't make a lot of money out of it, it can at least be good for community building.

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »

More money = more supplies, advanced computers, etc. Also means that PS gets money. What do you think they use it for? :P Keeping the game up, and new content.
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.

Irgendwer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 01:17:18 pm »
The PlaneShift community has taken every attempt of inbreeding in the last couple of years ("if you don't wanna roleplay, go play somewhere else").

True. PS definitely needs more grinding and duelers so that it can become a true RP game.

How nice of you to not only completely miss the point but also prove it in the most ironic way imaginable. The point was not whether or not PS needs more grinding and dueling but that the PS community has condensed itself to an elitist crowd that is outspoken, if not hostile towards anyone who does not subscribe to the "Roleplay is holy" mantra.

It is this dimwitted point of view, which you demonstrate so admirably that keeps the community small. Unfortunately, when you try to finance something through advertisement, you have to seek strength in numbers. Limiting yourself to just one acceptable play style already means doing something wrong. Those people that you turn away because they are not good enough in your opinion are also those people who will never click an ad (think about it, it really is no rocket science).

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 11:59:57 am »
i dont use google so it doesnt matter to me >.>
put this on bing and we might get somwhere.
MORE PEOPLE SHOULD USE BING, ITS GOT PRETTY PICTURES :3
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 11:07:27 pm »
 Project wonderful looks like a better idea, since it has the option to trade advertisement space, allowing Plane Shift to be advertised on other sites while it advertises them.

More money = more supplies, advanced computers, etc. Also means that PS gets money. What do you think they use it for? :P Keeping the game up, and new content.

:[ No, there's just a correlation; the only game-improvement causation is when they get around $800+ for another testing computer, which might take care of some bugs for some people. If your talking about content, that would require hiring or supporting someone to do it; buying the time of programmers and artists. These ads will probably make under $100 dollars. Or nothing at all, considering the minimal traffic the site gets.
 So although it doesn't do anything to improve the game, it does make it less likely we will lose server space or bandwidth.

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 11:21:08 pm »
The PlaneShift community has taken every attempt of inbreeding in the last couple of years ("if you don't wanna roleplay, go play somewhere else").

True. PS definitely needs more grinding and duelers so that it can become a true RP game.

How nice of you to not only completely miss the point but also prove it in the most ironic way imaginable. The point was not whether or not PS needs more grinding and dueling but that the PS community has condensed itself to an elitist crowd that is outspoken, if not hostile towards anyone who does not subscribe to the "Roleplay is holy" mantra.

It is this dimwitted point of view, which you demonstrate so admirably that keeps the community small. Unfortunately, when you try to finance something through advertisement, you have to seek strength in numbers. Limiting yourself to just one acceptable play style already means doing something wrong. Those people that you turn away because they are not good enough in your opinion are also those people who will never click an ad (think about it, it really is no rocket science).

I think what's overly hilarious is that the mentality that you think is here and voiced by "Mind's Eye Collective" has sort of moved away over the past few months in reaction to moves by the PS development team to "mainstream" gameplay and playstyle (not necessarily a good thing).

To be honest, I'd rather the RolePlay server be a fair amount stricter. We have a non-roleplay server, let those that don't want to abide by some fairly common-sense rules go there. Also, there is nothing wrong with creating a game to suit only a particular niche. Especially when it is non-commercial. Too many games these days are overly generic to make money from Mr. Average, it's nice that a game like PlaneShift retains at least some form of particular individuality.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 11:55:23 pm »
Your conversation is a sad one, and you should probably feel sad for having it. You aught to keep this in the complaints thread made for it.

Irgendwer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 11:12:15 am »
I think what's overly hilarious is that the mentality that you think is here and voiced by "Mind's Eye Collective" has sort of moved away over the past few months in reaction to moves by the PS development team to "mainstream" gameplay and playstyle (not necessarily a good thing).

To be honest, I'd rather the RolePlay server be a fair amount stricter. We have a non-roleplay server, let those that don't want to abide by some fairly common-sense rules go there. Also, there is nothing wrong with creating a game to suit only a particular niche. Especially when it is non-commercial. Too many games these days are overly generic to make money from Mr. Average, it's nice that a game like PlaneShift retains at least some form of particular individuality.

Just out of curiosity: Which part of "elitism creates small communities, but advertisement requires large audiences" was too hard for you to understand?

It may be that the devs finally saw reason and stopped catering to the whims of the RP purists. It may also be that the community has become a bit more open minded in the last few months the mentality slowly started to shifted a bit. But then again, there are posters like you, who are too thick to get it, aren't they?
Your second paragraph speaks volumes, concerning your mindset. Your disregard for those "lesser" players that may go elsewhere is exactly the attitude that harms and has been harming this game for years. The outlook of running into discussions with bullheads like you, who do not have the faintest clue of what they are discussing at all, but nevertheless feel a strong urge to argue their point, is exactly what makes people not want to go to the forums in the first place.

Congratulations! You honestly earned yourself the title "Liability"!

Rigwyn

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:54 am »
Regarding the stupid comment about elitism shrinking the player pool:

Why have any rules at all.  Why not get rid of all the rules. Rules are oppressive.

With no rules for rp, it would be very easy. No matter what you say, it would be legitimate - so everyone could be included. Wouldn't that be great ?
the community would flourish and everyone would want to rp on planeshift - or just be themselves.. or just grine or whatever..

It would be legitimate to use leet speak, Spanish, German, and Dutch in main.
It would be cool to talk about your favorite bands, what you did last night, or to just jabber about what you're doing at the moment.

Regarding the comments about elitism, there are rules for a reason, and certain level of competence needs to be enforced in order for the game to be fun.

Back on topic.

Regarding clicking on ads, I was being  ... *SARCASTIC* when I suggested on abusing the system by clicking on the ads.
Jeez .. learn to detect sarcasm..

The ads are there to be clicked on by US, the viewers. They are not there to decorate the page ... DUH!
The owner of the site is not allowed to promote clicking on the ads per his agreement with google ads. If Google sees that people are clicking ads just to milk the system, then yes, they can kick ps from the program.

This is one more reason to go with a pay-per-show type of arrangement.