Author Topic: Complaint about religion.  (Read 3008 times)

Azlon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Complaint about religion.
« on: June 26, 2010, 11:53:02 am »
First of all, I do not want a religion debate, flame war, or any other heated issue.

Could you adjust the description of atheist? I find the description completely offensive. It leave such a bad feeling after reading it.
mods = QQ

bloodedIrishman

Re: Complaint about religion.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:12:02 pm »
Atheism in Yliakum and Atheism in the real world are different. In Yliakum, the existence of gods directly penetrates all denizen's lives. In other words, your neighbor has seen Xiosia. Anyone who rejects the Gods is likely insane.

Azlon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 03:29:26 pm »
Maybe a disclaimer could be placed? As a newcomer, to lore anyways, how would I know that gods do exist? They way it seems is it is knocking any atheist. Makes sense if there are gods in game.
mods = QQ

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 03:35:31 pm »
Welllll you can pretty much read about it on the main website and in character creation. Then there's the whole thing about being in-game and hearing about it....as for a disclaimer, I find those a submission to "political correctness". And I really hate political correctness. Just my personal opinion about disclaimers though.

Azlon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 04:40:25 pm »
How many people spend time reading all the lore before jumping in game? I agree with you about politcal correctness, that is until I actually got offended by something. In the character correction the religions sound like they are all equal, that is until you read atheism and its a slap in the face. To be honest, I was just looking for the option to use less points. I thought, hey atheism! You cannot spend points on religion if you do not believe in it! BOOM, a whole paragraph insulting atheists.
mods = QQ

bilbous

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »
Ah well, optimizing point use is generally discouraged as minimaxing your stats goes counter to creating a self-consistent character. If anything you should waste points wildly to ensure that you do not wind up with characteristics counter to the preconceived notion of who you wish to play.

Of course if you want to play the classic renaissance man kind of fully well rounded hero that can do everything well then you are sure to be tut-tutted by some of the existing players.

Then again if you are all about the points then why bother even reading the descriptions, certainly you are unlikely to remember them once you get into the game.

Please be certain my hyperbole is meant for comic effect and not any personal acrimony. 

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 06:56:58 pm »
Considering how many atheists there are in this community, and you're the first one to ask it be changed because you're offended...

I think it is fine as is, or it wouldn't fit PS as a world.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »
Someone already made a thread about being offended, though. Go be offended there  :P

Azlon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 09:24:18 pm »
Thanks guys, way to make the place feel all cozy.

Also, All I wanted was to make my character have a famous father known for his armor skills, but no amount of options would allow me to do that. I was going crazy picking cool stories about my history, until I was negative 100cp.
mods = QQ

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 10:20:13 pm »

In Yliakum, the existence of gods directly penetrates all denizen's lives. In other words, your neighbor has seen Xiosia. Anyone who rejects the Gods is likely insane.

Interestingly an atheist was my first choice when in character creation until reading the description. It did not offend me; however if the suggestion made above was in the description it would have been more understandable to me.

- Nova

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 11:23:54 pm »
Considering how many atheists there are in this community, and you're the first one to ask it be changed because you're offended...

You mean fifth one? The definition listed in character creation still isn't the same as the accepted definition, and there are the other missing options discussed.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 12:36:43 am »
The definition of Atheism in Yliakum isn't going to be changed.  :D

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 01:03:36 am »
 But it was explained to me that the definition that both the players and the developers used was different than the one in character creation. So why wouldn't it be changed?

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 01:07:46 am »
Who explained that to you?

It might be that some AD's or prospects are ignorant of the definition, and likely that many players are as well, or simply choose to believe something different. However the definition of Atheism in character creation is the right one, as far as I'm concerned & knowledgeable about, of which I am concerned slightly and knowledgeable about much.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 01:28:31 am »
 Starting here, was the explanation. Although it also comes from all the searching I did on the subject.