Author Topic: Idea to stop mining bots.  (Read 1980 times)

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Idea to stop mining bots.
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 06:22:58 pm »
So no public/private key type of system for the server/clent, allowing a project to have a unique ID? Because that ID would be static? I agree, but wouldn't it still be a deterrent to most of *them* out there?

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 03:54:30 am »
@ Trikitiger I know what a bot is, I never asked what it was I just simple said I don't know how to make one and I would use it just to give my hand a rest (if I knew how to make it of course). Since sitting there clicking and getting information that I don't want to see (unsuccessful) is just wasting clicks for my hand, I would much rather click wait till I get an ore, simple as that.

For example, you do:
/dig iron
you begin to dig for [random number] seconds
you just got some iron ore (so fully taking away unsuccessful, and increasing the time of mining)

No unsuccessful's, so what I am trying to say, is that the time of digging is increased but the probability is the time of digging not whether you are successful or not. But the probability will need to be balanced to how it is now, and higher levelled players in Mining get lower waiting time for them to get ore.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:08:41 pm by Vakachehk »
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 01:46:38 pm »
the only sure fire way to stop a bot is for a gm to engage the player in conversation to see if it responds intellagantly. adding arbitrary detection routines is a recipie for disaster because belive it or not i can stand in the same spot for hours doing the same thing i am patient. a bot detection system could probibally mark me but if someone talks to me i can engage them in conversation or roleplay.

but i really dont like the way everyone uses the term macro for bots there are many harmless macros that can simply make say 100 drag and drop operations from a forge to your inventory and bind it to a single key. no real advandage and the health benifits are that you dont get carple tunnel syndrome. an autohotkey is technically a macro but it is in no way shape or form a bot because it must be executed by a player and monitered by the same player. infact there is a company called razer who makes a mmo mouse that has hardware based macroing in it to set off spells and crafting actions in WOW
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:51:24 pm by mikeloeven »