Author Topic: Prison  (Read 1168 times)

killercow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Prison
« on: May 17, 2003, 02:45:45 pm »
Yup thats right for all of those naughty people who get caught of course there should be a nice little place for them to go and have a thinkab out what they\'ve just done.
(By the way i dont know if this has been posted before but i just hope it hasnt been   :P  )

If caught by the guards the criminal should be stuck in a cell for maybe an hour for being caught pick-pocketing or making alittle violation and then maybe up to a week for more serious offenses. And then hell for mass murder and theft giv\'em 3 weeks to rot in a cell.

This time would pass even if not logged on but there would be ways of cutting down the sentence. Such as maybe doing work for charitable organisations. (oh theres another idea...ill post one about that next  :D  ) Work such as cooking food for poor players who cant afford a meal etc. and for every... lets say... chicken they cook, their sentence would be reduced by 30 minutes. Or maybe by fixing items at a forge for free etc. well ill let you guys post some more ideas  :]  

Now ill write about charities....(see my next post)
A Killer Cow will always beat the Clever Cat.

Skizzik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 03:04:12 pm »
An hour is like... nothing...
You just log off, go and read a newspaper, do the laundry and when you log in again, you\'ve served your sentence!  8o

But there should definately be a punishment for crimes, and a prison sentence is a good idea.

Visit the Circle Of Legends at:
http://www.circleoflegends.tk

Memorex

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 03:16:34 pm »
hmmm yes if i were u i would make it to where the time doesnt pass while they\'re logged out, so they HAVE to be logged in and in the cell in order for their sentence to be up, then they wouldnt do that again :)

LordSpyder

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 03:51:59 pm »
ok, i like the prison idea, but i don\'t like the way you are thinking of implamenting, personaly, i wouls like the prison sentance to take no time in the real worls, it just blinks before your eyes, and the actual punish ment would be that you lose stats and rubies, something like that. this is how it was done in morrowind and i though it was rather effective.
Knights of the Order
http://www.kotoguild.tk

DooMeeR

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 03:53:01 pm »
I think that if you can\'t do anything in a prison, you won\'t be able to play a bad guy, because if you do so, you\'ll be bored for some hours and when you get out, you can kill people innocently for like 30 minutes and bang you\'re caught again and you\'re out for one week. It\'s a game, remember, you should have fun, not wait for hours.

Of course you could reduce the time delay and let the player build weapon for very cheap prices for the village where he is imprisonned, but then he can just wait for the sentence to pass, reading a book or a website, i don\'t know.

Imo, a prison is a bad idea.

But a fine can be a great sentence: if you kill someone and you\'re caught in less than, say 1 week after the crime has been commited, you have to pay the fine. One part will go for the victim (ok yeah the victim\'s dead. Well. doesn\'t matter), the other might go for the one who caught you.
DooM shall never die, only the players.

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 05:03:58 pm »
Well, you could be able to escape. That would make your prison-stay become more interesting.
You could dig a hole out of the prison (lol, or not :D ) or K.O the prison guards, or bribe them or whatever.
Just sitting in a cell doing nothing becomes a little boring after a while. :rolleyes:

EDIT: The \"dig your way out of prison\" thing was only a joke ;)  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2003, 06:37:13 am by Fanomatic2000 »

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

killercow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 06:08:13 pm »
Ok well lets see...

1)If you want to play the bad guy well then you play the bad guy and take the risks, wats the risk in just a quick yup ur cuffed, ok here take a couple of rubbies right now im off again. I mean sure a fining system would work for theft etc. but for killin people i reckon u got to bang em up in a cell. Its a game but not one that you can just get away with slaughterin the living daylights of people for a little fine.

2)I think escape from prison would be great...although the guard would only on the occation be up to a little \'tip\'. This would mean people cant just repeatedly get out. Digging, lol, well ok lets not take it too far...usually in a prison ur stripped of all u got anyway so u would be \'burrowing\'. Of course this would take longer than any jail sentence :D Although taking out the guards with ur bare fists well ok if ur lvl. 12560 ill let u get away with that one.

3)Well i was thinking if you leave it so they dont have to be logged in, well it would save on bandwidth and would mean you wouldnt\' have idle players just sittin in a cell waitin for their sentence to end.

4)I was wondering about this flash the jail sentence idea and thought well ok wats stopping some poor hobo with nothing to loose anyway from gettin out his hobo knife, stabbin the be-jesus out of poor Mrs.Farrel the bakers wife and then just runnin off scot free. People can abuse systems like that where they just go around getting away with...murder. Althought i dunno that rolling pin could do some damage...  :rolleyes:

K-C

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2003, 08:15:53 pm »
Being stuck in prison means that you just waste some time doing nothing, other than trying to figure out a way to get out. Anyway, burrowing out really depends on where the prison is located. You can\'t exactly \'burrow\' quietly out a prison with iron bars, walls, and floor.

However, if there is a way to make life in prison \'fascinating\' but still a punishment, then the idea will be better. Or there could be several people in a cell and they can work together to get out, or just chat. If there is only one person a cell, then you can yell across the hallway to chat. Perhaps not having to be logged on can still waste away the prison sentence, but I believe that prison lengths will have to be lengthened instead of staring at a screen all day, or wasting time on other things while trying to waste away prison time.

Perhaps doing types of things indicates a certain degree of punishment required. Fines are fine, as long as there is a limit to what the crime is. Fines can be used for theft and other crimes that don\'t damage things. That is only an example, so you can decide on the punishments for other crimes.

I have several bad ideas for punishment. Among them are forced labor, being branded, and forced enlistment in the local militia or other thing. Criminals should be divided sparingly into these groups, so they don\'t gather up and rebel.

As for murder, I\'m not sure how you think that is going to be implemented into the game. Anyway, what does murdering add to the game is my question. Before we get too far into punishing people for major and minor crimes, we have to be sure that these things will add to the game. I feel like I am copying someone...

Just some more of my confused thoughts.
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Axioma

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2003, 02:51:21 am »
I have a question. Perhaps it is me, but how can you commit a murder in game where PK\'ing is forbidden except in arena\'s and guildwars ?

killercow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2003, 07:38:13 am »
Um well Im just totally against the fact there is no PKing, so Im counting on such a scheme being put into place otherwise well the game looses a lot of diversity and limits people to only following the \'good\' path...which is pretty restricting. If its suppose to be like living in a second world well people should be given \'freedom\'. You should be able to PK especially in order to get back at someone from maybe stealing from your dead body or if you have a strict guild well for \'dishonouring\' the family.

Hey a world with noPk is for fluffy pony RPGs not revolutionary \'lets live a second life\' MMORPGs.

beza1e1

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2003, 08:10:04 am »
I don\'t like the idea of \"justing waiting until my prison is over\". Lets make hard punishments (by mayor or judicator) and do it in public! Sentence them to death by hanging in the middle of the Plaza! Strip off their weapons and let them fight against a minotaurus in the arena for the enjoyment of the people! Panem et Circensus, that makes the players happy :)
thanks for reading
 -- beza1e1

Axioma

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2003, 08:59:05 am »
Hmm, beza1e1, maybe your hard sentences could come into play when a person has exceeded a certain conviction counter. Let\'s say the criminal has been sentenced to jail 5 times, the 6th time he gets one of your \"special treatments\".

KC, the entire PK discussion is being fought all over this board, plz keep it in the threads that were meant for it...

elminster

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2003, 09:05:49 am »
I totally agree with killercow.
Does it make difference, whether you will be killed by a monster, or by another player if both are your enemies???

Anyhow, it is unlikely, that someone walking in the world, will just decide to kill an innocent little newbie - the community (at least the good part of it) will likely punish the killer - especialy I would surely blow him into pieces.

So this \"No PKing, wonderful heaven-like world\" dream is foolishness. What is alignment is for then??? There will always be \"evil\" players.

In Balgur\'s Gate for example, if you began blind slaughter, then you needed to load the game back after max. 5 mins, because your whole team was punished with death by guards. So this random killing will be unlikely, even if full freedom is given to the players.

I heard there is going to be some sort of \"limited\" fighting - I hope it will be good.

--
Greetings,
E.

beza1e1

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2003, 09:59:25 am »
I agree Axioma, death penalty is not proper for a little thief, my main idea is just to make it a show - fun for many players instead of just punishment for one.

I was just carried away by my idea ;)
thanks for reading
 -- beza1e1

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2003, 12:19:40 pm »
hmmm ...another idea is that you get into a magical prison, in which you cannot do anything at all ...not even speak or move

...just a thought though
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln