Author Topic: Log Filtering  (Read 1656 times)

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Log Filtering
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 03:39:23 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_(process)

Here is a thread about a short python-script "logcleaner", which provides with easy and simple means to clean logs from defined junk. As it is now guildchat, tells and groupchat is removed from logs processed (also the timecode and OOC-stuff defined by "[", but its really easy to modify everything to your need].
Thanks, but is that not what the wish is asking of the game mechanics? If someone would go to such lengths as to code a stript to do it, does that not justify the wish? What about players that support the wish yet have no technical abilities?
Code: [Select]
grep -v "\[Guild\]\|\[NPC\]\|\[Tell\]\|\[Group\]" <charname>_chat.txt
The -v options is known to me. That would not allow the option of turning the logging on and off but simply clean out all incidences of Guild and Alliance entries. A guild war, for example, may want to be logged for IC reasons.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:50:54 pm by Aiwendil »

Phage

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 04:53:33 pm »
Over there, lurking from safe distance.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 05:19:18 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_(process)

And you thought I was being sarcastic.

Edit: Sorry Phage, I removed my sarcastic remark to try and keep to the point. I think Nova may have gotten the point about sarcasm by now.

Seriously, Nova, its not that its a bad idea, its just not as simple as one would think it would be. Add a very basic feature request to the bug tracker for this.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:37:22 pm by verden »

Phage

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »
[..]
what good the "code sitting unexplored on your disk" does if you don't have enough technical know-how to implement a script or even run a GREP search-and-replace in an editor?
If nothing else, you could still look up any jerk having bragged in tells about his IQ.
Over there, lurking from safe distance.

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:13 am »
Without looking at the details of an individual's specific ways of playing, I'd support any request that improves the flexibility of the game interface.

Besides, if I understood correctly, this request here concerns only the client code; so it could be picked up and coded by someone outside of the dev. team, then submitted when done. If so, let someone add an official green light in the bugtracker's comments and the thing may be implemented faster than expected...

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 02:26:03 am »
Aiwendil, you have given me a great head start for playing with the code when my PS addiction tones down to a dull roar. ryldontknow you have offered a very practical solution in the meantime.

My thanks to you both!

- Nova

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 05:01:59 am »
you still didn't post a proper diff :P
trying to find something in an odd paste is a pain Aiwendil ;)

and for the other... has to be decided by someone whether it shall be done at all

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 05:09:42 am »
Brings me back to my questions about svn diff....
How do I make a svn diff for a file that wasn't in svn before?
How do I get svn diff to not include whitespace changes?

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 05:13:34 am »
Yes, a very cool thing died with the unanswered question how to make that patch  :-\
I personally can't evaluate how much effort it would be to implement the already existing code in the svn, but I would have thought that it's only minutes? Saying that because I know a couple of players who stopped to care about planeshift and left, because their pretty much ready contributions seem to have been simply ignored.

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 05:57:08 am »
Brings me back to my questions about svn diff....
How do I make a svn diff for a file that wasn't in svn before?
How do I get svn diff to not include whitespace changes?

cd into your planeshift directory
svn add all files you added
svn diff
paste the output on pastebin/codepad/whatever

for whitespace changes: just don't do them :P

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 06:19:26 am »
src/client/psengine.h
http://pastebin.com/rVut2mcT
src/client/psengine.cpp
http://pastebin.com/2QG7FpYE
src/client/autoexec.h
http://pastebin.com/1aTbX4pu
src/client/autoexec.cpp
http://pastebin.com/SqZMWgi4

Looks for me same as the stuff I pasted in the bugtracker already...except that I pasted a copy of the complete files and not a patch to an empty file with only "+" lines. And sorry, can't be arsed to update my sourceode to any newer revison...or remove all the other hacks I added to make a complete svn diff.

Edit:
For the whitespaces...seems a "svn diff --diff-cmd diff -x -uw /path/to/file" does the trick.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:24:54 am by Aiwendil »

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:53 am »
lol...you think so khoridor?

http://bugs.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=3967
http://bugs.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=4189

Both posted in march.

Yes I do. Am I naive?  :)

Well, you submitted request and code at the same time, so I'd expect approval of the idea to take longer, but with simultaneous code integration, basically closing the request with the approval (if approved of course).
I've also seen months passing before a first comment is made on a request. Makes sense to me for "low" severity.
That plus the many reasons why some code could be disapproved... But at the end of the day, I'd still be optimistic.

This is also why I mentioned a green light comment earlier. Something that comes after a request has been approved, telling that the team puts no priority on it, and that it is open game for outside submissions. Something that is also easy to search in the tracker, for coders who could help on small tasks but wouldn't know where.

Then, to avoid wasting devs time, the code could be submitted on the forum, reviewed by other volunteers and freelances, until it is found acceptable for actual submission. Such process is still slow, but at least it would preserve the motivation of the participants.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 07:42:43 am »
Yes I do. Am I naive?  :)
Sorry...impossible for me to say no here.

But I know...I was already told to not waste precious developers time with some stupid patches so not really a problem at all anymore. I already stopped submitting patches. ;)

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 11:59:56 am »
This is also why I mentioned a green light comment earlier. Something that comes after a request has been approved, telling that the team puts no priority on it, and that it is open game for outside submissions. Something that is also easy to search in the tracker, for coders who could help on small tasks but wouldn't know where.

if you're looking for such tasks - the prospect ones are exactly that. they usually don't require deep knowledge, but are a bit tedious to do and not high priority. (search for those with status "prospect task" on the bugtracker)

as for yours Aiwendil - reviewing them takes a bit time - especially with feature requests
FRs have to be approved by a leader or even a director
additionally submissions have to be reviewed with regards to code-style, doing it "the right way", etc.