Author Topic: Songs of the Past: Poems  (Read 1058 times)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
Songs of the Past: Poems
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:17:13 pm »
So, here's where we should post the actual "Songs of the Past." If everything goes right, we'll end up having a good database of poems about things that transpired in Yliakum and that can be sung IC without problem. So be sure to comment on the "Material" part if any poem seems to be inconsistent with being roleplayed, or anything else you like. Try to leave this part clear for just poems.

Of Duchess Lolitra (by an unknown poet)

Measured, beautiful, intent
Two souls that shone bright,
And lit the world for them
Who in her did confide,
Even when the dark
Made it feel so hard.

A shadow seemed to linger
On the House she ruled,
It's spindly, twisted finger
Tempting her mood
But she still stood strong,
Her legacy 'd last long.

But it had to be inherited
For the Curse took its prey
And despite how talented
She would fall that day,
Assuring that her good,
Loyal people still stood.

Much more did she do,
That escaped my ears
And writing like I do
Covers very few years
But if I can it will be sung
And we'll know Lolitra won.

(I might fill it up a bit more, once I get more stuff to use in. :D)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:21:51 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Gurth Quakemaul

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: Songs of the Past: Poems
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 04:55:43 pm »
Is this your answer to this request?

I like the message, but you can do better on the rhythm. Still -- Purtty good. :thumbup:

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:25:22 pm »
Hey, I came in here hoping to find a poem of yours and all I find is a louzy critique? :P

You're right, but it's just that I'm not so at ease with the theme.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:23:32 pm by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Gurth Quakemaul

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:31:05 pm »
I honestly still don't feel as though I know enough about her to write a rhyme in her memory. If anything, it'd be very general; not dedicated to her in specific, but applicable at best. One of my favourite phrases, especially when used in my amateuristic poetry, is something I came up with in math back in highschool; "To die beloved is to crown a perfect life." I just never found something to go with it. How about...

Memories
Stand, tall.
Live, fall.

From birth 'till your doom,
memories, life's heirloom,
are gathered by those
whose lives you touch the most.
Life's full of grayscales, not just wrong and right.
You'll always grow stronger, if you stand and fight,
every time you fall down, without fear in your heart,
balancing laughs and tears, making living an art.
Before kicking the bucket, it's all uphill strife,
but dieing beloved, crowns every perfect life.

I don't know. It might be because of the expectations I have of myself because of the theme, but I feel as though I can do better. There's lots of small things I wanted to work into it like "... of falling again" after the "without fear in your heart..." bit, but maybe it's better off this way. Couldn't find any ways of implementing any 'explanations' without shifting the focus too much, if that makes sense. Leaving things open like this is exactly what I meant with the rhyme ending up very general, as expected before writing it... There's implicit things that don't stand out right away, like going uphill before reaching the crown, there's weird things like the four words up front which I didn't want to leave out. (Which, in itself, happens to be an implicit thing about birth and death.) I'm really not sure about this poem.

???

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:25:52 pm »
The problem is that the books about her are found in-game, and then they have to be requested to a player. I haven't found Sheneer in-game and so I haven't been able to get the information to swim in.

I like the words you use, though the length of your sentences is something I'm not used to (English being my secondary language might influence this).

Join the Dark Empire!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 05:30:15 pm »
Thank you.

They will enjoy it.

Please feel invited.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:33:06 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 10:28:12 am »
I'd enjoy making a poem for the player as well, but it's impossible since I've shared very little of her... I hope these in-character songs are a good gift though.

Also, since I'm not done with this project, I might take one or two of those stories I found on the forums and turn them into poems. I'll have to intersperse them with other material, for variety's sake. Next I should get something to do with dwarves :P

Join the Dark Empire!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 01:53:02 am »
We have copies of the "Fireside Chronicles" too, in our guild house. They are not absolutely related, but loosely based on the Kingdom Printh.

And in-character work is just matching. Hardly anyone knows much about the player. One reason were the differences with a specific Dark Lady, and the kind of job her husband has (crime defense).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty