Author Topic: The continuous disregard for older players who want to use the shiney new skins  (Read 814 times)

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
time and time again new skins are added to the game and time and time again the developers fail to include a appearance editor into the game. it is not fair to any of the players who are stuck with temporary skins or incorrect player models to have to delete the character to check out the new skins and make their characters look more individual.

there needs to be a system that allows you to change the appearance of a pre existing character to compensate for all the new content that was and is continually being added. you may think it is not natural to be able to change appearance after your character is created but is it really natural to have an entire server of clones and people trapped in another races body???

please do not disregard this post. i am not a big forum user and although it says i only have a few posts to my name i have been playing planeshift on and off for a few years. there are very few topics that can drag me out of the crystal's depths to post somthing on the internet but this topic deserves a rant.

this rant is also a petition please include you signature with your thoughts
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:21:08 pm by mikeloeven »

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Do you mean you want an asset browser?

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
i dont think an asset browser can change the values stored on the server

what i am asking for is somthing that allows you to bring a existing character back into the character creator to change the appearance when new skins are added to the game.

when i created my enki there were like only 2 skins available black and tan i belive and now there are a bunch more added but i have no way to change my appearance and the gm's refuse to help. i could delete and remake the character but i would loose everthing i worked for

how many blue kran are standing around who saw the new skins in the character creator but cant change their apperances without deleting their characters

sure it is possible to use custom skins but you are the only one who can see them as the data is not transmitted to the server.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:27:20 pm by mikeloeven »

ThomPhoenix

• Testers
  • Forum Addict
  • A Phoenix, what'd you expect?
    • View Profile
Hmm, I think there was at least an NPC before where you could change your hair colour. Not exactly sure though.
Perhaps something like that will be worked in again to help players with old models.
We're not evil. We're simply amazing.

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
there have been a few possibilities in the past including hair dye and a salon where you could get your hair cut changed as GM event. however I don't think there'll be big possibilities to change your change post-creation in the near future.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
For the Hair salon GM event we were told we were restricted to making changes to things like hair style and color for those races that had trait options ( so for example since lemurs don't have their own model yet there are no traits for lemurs that can be changed). We were told that we couldn't include Enki and Kran in the hair salon event since changing the traits for those races would be along the lines of changing the race or pack of the person and was beyond the scope of the hair style event.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
So it would possibly either require also a "tattoo salon" to give chars a face change, or ... what level of GM or Developer would have to agree to a single change e.g. via petition?

I mean, such changes are technically possible (in a certain range), obviously - or did e.g. Esorono recreate his char to become a gray Klyros?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
only some developers at their whim. in other words find the right moment. just like char recovery and other things like that.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
I mean, such changes are technically possible (in a certain range), obviously - or did e.g. Esorono recreate his char to become a gray Klyros?

Of course he did...or can you imagine any dev favoring Klyros above other races? If even a member of the testing team doesn't get his tattoos back then there is no reason to belief this could be different for Klyros Junction members.

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
personally i think it is insulting and offensive that the devs are denying us this ability due to their precious realism and yet they fail to realise everyone looks like a freaking clone this is plane shift universe not starwars the clone wars.

at this point i belive that when new content is added or after a major patch the next time you log in you should be presented with the apearance generater and have ONE chance per update to alter your apearance and just have the character creator skip the rest of the steps

in short this post is a petition to force the devs to allow apearance alterations after major updates. it would be as simple as bringing up a small part of the character creator that runs once after every update. it is not difficult to do and we need to show them that we support this. please sign below
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:42:50 pm by mikeloeven »

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
I certainly could care less. I think these things should be fixed only in the wipe, rather than having to force the Developers to come up with new temporary code for grief's sake.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: The continuous disregard for older players who want to use the shiney new sk
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:37 pm »
allow apearance alterations after major updates.

This should have been the title of your thread. Implying that the development team not implementing feature X in a beta is somehow a personal affront to all the players is ridiculous. Insinuation and drama added to coerce the developers is ridiculous. The concept of a change to the software being "easy" because you believe it to be so is also ridiculous. Describe the components of these systems in game, how they affect one another, and then show us how it is "easy" using coded examples. If you don't understand enough to know what I just asked in the previous sentence, then your opinion of whether something is "easy" or not, is essentially valueless.

The development of this system is driving towards 1.0. That will be the release of the software as a full version. Right now, it is, or might as well be, a beta. There is no feature planned for the final release that will allow you to change a characters full appearance after you create the character. So no, I don't want them to waste time on it. I want them to stick to the roadmap for the software until it is completed.

confused

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Instead of bitching like ungrateful silly school girls about something not being available, why don't you take the time to develop the new textures needed for the models. The developers are not being paid to develop PS, it is all volunteered work, spending the little time to create content, scripts, and engine enhancements.

So shut the hell up about lack of features if you not going to contribute to the development of PS.

bloodedIrishman

Confused your post was quite methodical and clear. How ironic of you.   ;D