Author Topic: for gods sake give us highlight and copy/paste support  (Read 577 times)

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
for gods sake give us highlight and copy/paste support
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:18:16 am »
copy and paste support using the windows clipboard would be very usefull for quests. perticularly the ones where you have to repeat somthing back exactly with punctuation to trigger it.
it would allow you to simply ctrl-c ctrl-v important information from npc's into your quest log. as well as conversations in the master chat log into books.

addendem there needs to be an option for logging npc text so that on a server crash you can see the last few npc messages as well as normalcha

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: for gods sake give us highlight and copy/paste support
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:41 am »
go and implement it?
there's no copy-paste support in CS atm, so feel free to post a bug there.
anyway, implementing this is anything, but trivial and even the clipboard support on linux is highly experimental...

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »
punctuation is stripped so i doubt you need it plus there are menus

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:09:41 pm »
Punctuation is stripped? Well that looks familiar!

Copy and paste would be a great thing to have but then I didn't really need it for quests, and it would just be one of those "luxury" implementations.

-sig by sarras

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:18:09 pm »
Copy and paste, yes please!
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:49:34 pm »
Copy/paste would be nice, but what's more urgent to me is being able to select text in order to delete it, and also Ctrl+(Left|Right|Backspace|Remove), Shift+(Left|Right|Home|End), Ctrl+Shift+(Left|Right) hotkeys. I find myself trying to use them all the time. Also, double-click word, triple-click line (less important).

Seeing how strange and buggy even automatic line breaks and the cursor on multi-line documents are, it's probably a suicide attempt to add support for text selection. But I'd really love those Ctrl+(Left|Right|Backspace|Remove) hotkeys!! They should not be too hard to do*, or am I wrong?

* For someone who is into CS/PS codebase or at least into C++. I'm neither.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:39:42 pm »
Also Copy/Paste could also help spoiler sites from copying from the site and pasting in the tab. So another reason to not have them.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 01:39:56 am »
Punctuation is stripped? Well that looks familiar!

Copy and paste would be a great thing to have but then I didn't really need it for quests, and it would just be one of those "luxury" implementations.

in place of being sarcastic study a bit about human/machine interaction.

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 02:49:12 pm »
Also Copy/Paste could also help spoiler sites from copying from the site and pasting in the tab. So another reason to not have them.

your point is completely invalid. the difference between copy and past vs manually entering a quest trigger from a spoiler site is negligable save for the most impatient of the impatient.

besides this fact spoiler sites have become practically a nesicessity because there is no real ingame method of obtaining the location of trainers and merchants. and you would be surprised how few players actually know the information to begin with. not to mention new players who are trying to advance their characters have no clue as there is hardly any direction once you start the game. but untill you can walk up to a npc and ask where can i got to train thus and so... this shouldn't be a big issue
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 02:53:03 pm by mikeloeven »

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 07:34:40 pm »
My two trias~

Many characters in game know who the trainers are.. please keep asking.

And am i the only one who thinks your incendiary thread titles- like this one - are unnecessarily hostile and infer blame? As if someone on the dev team was personally out to make your game life 'too hard'? Seems a bit... narcissistic- to me. Sorry to say so. "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" said me old grandmere...

Ask RR your questions in game and he will try to help you. May not know all the answers, but that is what builds your character's backstory, gives you in game community, and may even help you down the road to various quests and other role playing adventures.

Good luck to you.
Roled Rolak
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 04:52:36 pm »
My two trias~

Many characters in game know who the trainers are.. please keep asking.

And am i the only one who thinks your incendiary thread titles- like this one - are unnecessarily hostile and infer blame? As if someone on the dev team was personally out to make your game life 'too hard'? Seems a bit... narcissistic- to me. Sorry to say so. "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" said me old grandmere...

Ask RR your questions in game and he will try to help you. May not know all the answers, but that is what builds your character's backstory, gives you in game community, and may even help you down the road to various quests and other role playing adventures.

Good luck to you.
Roled Rolak

narcissistic ..... is there anyone still left on the internet who isn't to some degree i mean the reason most of us play games is to feel like our lives actually matter when people like me really have no life worth of note?? but yeah guilty as charged ;)

as for inflamitory titlesi kinda overeeacted i did come back to the game after a 2 year hiatus and found that alot of the things i used to love about the game have been broken but aside from that i think generally the improvements outweigh the current math bugs in the armor system.

i can actually transition maps normally and dont fall through the floor as much

MirceaKitsune

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 03:37:16 pm »
I support this feature. I agree it's not extremely urgent, but imo it would be very useful at the same time.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 04:42:32 pm »
Well, If im doing a quest usually i just scroll back up, otherwise i use the sticky note feature on my windows 7 (notepad if you dont got it) and write down keywords.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 04:57:48 pm »
If you logged out or crashed and you lost all previous dialog in your NPC tab you can still check your logs to find that information. You will find the logs folder following this path:

Windows: In the user home directory, usually in "Document and Setting\Username\Application Data\PlaneShift (make sure windows isn't hiding folders or enter %AppData% in the address bar of the explorer window)
Linux: ~/.PlaneShift
Mac OS X: ~User/Library/Application Support/PlaneShift (start at the house icon in the left bar of your finder window)

It is important to know where your logs are so you can review dialogs with NPCs and friends for quests and RP. Most problems in the tutorial arise from simply not reading what the NPCs say.