Author Topic: - in player last names.  (Read 1068 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
- in player last names.
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:51:48 pm »
I was wondering why you cannot have dashes in your last name. e.g. the famous NPC Brintec Dev-Onni??
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
Re: - in player last names.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:37:50 am »
brintec and xarven are bugs.

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 04:06:41 am »
You sure?
Brintec Dev-Onni
Vladovic Chel-Astra
Sharven Xant-Areth
Uri Djho-Maat

That's a fair few NPCs and there seems to be no reason as to why a player or NPC cannot have a - in their last name?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:04:22 am »
thanks for the list. yes they are all a bug.

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 02:43:29 pm »
it is a copout
both hyphens and accent points are valid gramatical operations common in many names. i think the naming conventions of this game are seriously limited and because of their overbearing strictness there are many names that are more than acceptable but none the less fall under some obscure reference noone ever heard about and thus any gm who is having a bad day can force you to change it.

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:24:34 pm »
It's not that obscure, because there are naming rules.
Why exactly do you need so badly those special characters in names? "Others use it, too" is not a great reason why a rule, that was hopefully made with some thoughts, must be changed.

:offtopic: Personally, I don't mind what characters are allowed (So I'd be fine with dashes for example). I just wonder why there can't be any small detail of any rule that can't be just accepted if there is no strong reason against it...
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 05:57:21 pm »
If the Devs think too many players will over use it, or abuse it by putting -van or -von, then why don't they let GMs do it, or when you get married? e.g Vakachehk Kivikar gets married to X Gulmp, why cant he rename himself Vakachehk Kivikar-Gulmp?

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 06:59:16 pm »
i think one simple change could be made to the naming rules. if a name is found to be in violation the gm must bring it before the whole gm team and judge wether or not the name fits the period / is apropriate. if the name if found to be apropriate and the person had no prior knowledge of the place item or other reference that was implied in the word than the gm team reserves the right to exempt them. no gam may arbitratily force a name change withought first consulting the team to prevent abuse.

if you take a look at the current naming guidlines it is nearly impossible to find a name that doesent violate it. look in any book of names at your local library and youll find references to places things plants and animals everywhere. there is no name in the universe that has no meaning. the current naming guidelines simply serve as a blanket permission for any gm or dev to arbitrarily decide you need a name change because of some obscure thing they can dig up. take my character for example his last name is oakleaf. clear reference to a plant/animal in real life and yet i havent had to change the name in the 4+ years my character has existed. and do you know why? because it fits the period and is inofensive and if you want the real kicker that name was spit out by the random generator built into the game. so there is a real double standard.

but if a gm wished it they could eaisly force it to change.

but to be honest there is only one thing that needs to be changed in the naming conventions
and that is the rule about references to reallife animals plants and objects it could eaisly be changed from a direct not allowed to a descressionary option

an example of a rule change could be as simple as this
references to places items plants and animals are allowed provided they are inofensive and fit the period. for example alton firewalker and larisa running deer would be considered where as  bear wolf or rock would not. use intelligance and creativity when crafting your name do not simple drop a word in haste
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:25:14 pm by mikeloeven »

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 03:20:14 am »
There's already a general way what to do when you think a gm did something wrong. Or I don't get what you mean with prevent abuse...

To the rules: It's quite clear that there should be only names that do not disturb the rp-immersion. Almost all single rules are the try to make it more precise.
So, there are a few things that exist in RL and ingame (e.g. carp fish), and some that don't. My personal opinion is that no RL-objects should be used, because you automatically have to think on RL when you read it. But that's not fully consistent in ps right now, and I guess it's up to the gms to decide what is acceptable and what goes too far. Be happy that either no gm really had a look at your name, didn't know about it, or said it's fine enough because of the sound of it or whatever.

I must say you're reasonable though with your suggestion about the limits. Just to be aware of, it'd still be up for a gm to decide wether it's ok or not, so there'll still be debates and complaints about that part.
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:32:59 am »
There's already a general way what to do when you think a gm did something wrong. Or I don't get what you mean with prevent abuse...

-van -von
Vakachehk Kivikar-Glumph-ghurr-hirrel...

Long names, or more OOC names.

@mikeloeven Yes it is almost impossible but what they mostly mean is that you do not do it on purpose, but accidental. I know of someone called Whero which means Yellow in Maori, but in Maori it is pronounced phero or fero. I suggest you bang the keyboard till it makes a name :)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 06:48:26 am »

Other than changing ones name after the fact, no one in rl has any say in the name given to them at birth. My character's name was given to her from the random list offered during character creation. It seems to have done the job fine. It is a name that would never have occurred to me on my own... yet it has really helped to shape the character, for me, over time; with the shortened Ven usage becoming common to most other characters that she knows.

Personally, just typing in proper spelling of first names in chat can be a chore sometimes. To make them more complex would not be something that would get my vote if this were a democracy.

- Nova

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:54:59 am »
if this were a democracy.

Oh so you've had a wake-up call?  :lol:

I do think that players should be able to have a - in their nicknames for the enkidukai, like Vakachehk mentioned. The ' for the enkidukai, stonebreaker, and dermorian would be another important addition. Various accents for dermorian, stonebreake,r and nolthrir languages and implementing that into naming a character should also be available. I'm not really sure how to do the accents though, seems like it is something that can be done on keyboards meant for other languages than English.

-sig by sarras

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 10:59:35 am »
if this were a democracy.

Oh so you've had a wake-up call?  :lol:

Coming from a table RPG background there has never been any confusion about that on my part.

- Nova

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 11:44:47 am »

To the rules: It's quite clear that there should be only names that do not disturb the rp-immersion. Almost all single rules are the try to make it more precise.
So, there are a few things that exist in RL and ingame (e.g. carp fish), and some that don't. My personal opinion is that no RL-objects should be used, because you automatically have to think on RL when you read it. But that's not fully consistent in ps right now, and I guess it's up to the gms to decide what is acceptable and what goes too far. Be happy that either no gm really had a look at your name, didn't know about it, or said it's fine enough because of the sound of it or whatever.

I must say you're reasonable though with your suggestion about the limits. Just to be aware of, it'd still be up for a gm to decide wether it's ok or not, so there'll still be debates and complaints about that part.

yes but on the other hand even there are no models for your common wild animals is it too hard to belive that say wolves exist but simply try to stay out of sight ?

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 07:22:15 pm »
If the Devs think too many players will over use it, or abuse it by putting -van or -von, then why don't they let GMs do it, or when you get married? e.g Vakachehk Kivikar gets married to X Gulmp, why cant he rename himself Vakachehk Kivikar-Gulmp?
becuase your name would be so much more appealing as vakachehk Gulmp ;D
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?