Author Topic: Lurker Trolls  (Read 4985 times)

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Lurker Trolls
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 05:31:02 pm »
Its sooo much fun to piss off the moderators. You can't do that to any other game, where the development/owners of the game are open to criticism.

I don't understand what is fun about pissing off moderators? Unless there's some tech BOT thing I don't know about,
I was under the impression that moderators and developers are 1) human beings and 2) volunteers.

@Irishman and trolls- I agree!  ::|
Unless the troll is 1) way cute or 2) has something helpful and not hateful to say. Or 3) she's Irish... ;D

:whistling:
RR

"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 05:40:40 pm »
You can't do that to any other game, where the development/owners of the game are open to criticism

What games specifically are you referring to?

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 06:19:54 pm »
Its sooo much fun to piss off the moderators. You can't do that to any other game, where the development/owners of the game are open to criticism

They are clearly open to criticism because [blablabla]

You should realize that good counter-arguments are troll's most liked food. That said, no man, they obviously aren't open to arguments. Everything you mentioned is just there to create the illusion that they are. It's just like politics, where your voice doesn't actually count, they only say so. And it's important to them that you think they listen to you, so that you further support them; hence, they will do everything to maintain the illusion. In reality, you don't count.

I think the real problem is you and other people who don't know how to talk to trolls. E.g., I bet that you were going to carefully pick arguments against the paragraph above. That would be correct, if this was an argument. But it isn't. I don't really object you that much, I just want to see if you can come up with more arguments, maybe weaker ones that I could then take to pieces, or just repeat your old arguments and I can blame you for doing that.

The problem is: to get rid of trolls, the community must learn how to deal with trolls. Banning, telling them to leave, re-telling what they are doing, or bringing the problem up to discussion will not only not help at all, but also make them even more convinced about themselves. Trolls will only leave if everyone's used to them and doesn't bother about them. Maybe they will even stay in such a situation, but then it doesn't matter all that much anymore, because everyone's used to them. Okay, so they can still troll noobs, that's a good point. But trolling noobs away isn't all that exciting, it's more exciting to mess with people that think they know you. Thus, it's way more likely for trolls to leave if everyone accepts them.

IT'S A PARADOX, BUT IT'S TRUE.

You don't have to believe me, but if you want to get rid of the trolls, you'd better.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 06:51:00 pm »
That would work derula... except for one thing. The biggest problem is the conversion factor from being a relatively content player to outright troll. What needs to be admited is that more than general bitterness is causing this. Thus necessitating effective action. Some action doesn't count. It has to be the right action.

I understand that there's always been people coming and going and people trolling. But, at some point, the people coming slowed down considerably, and bad word of mouth isn't enough by itself to cover this. However, the people going didn't slow in response. Worse yet, more people turned into malcontents... some even coming back here to become proper trolls.

Now I told myself for years that it was all cyclical and it would eventually resolve itself blah blah blah... but the fact of the matter is, there is a consistent downward turn and waiting it out isn't working... look at player numbers, dev team numbers, and gm team numbers... almost too low to be sustainable. Then tack on the rise of the malcontents... even if it was just a matter of the players needing to get off it, the team would still need to do something positive in similar channels to counteract it. Adding new bells and whistles to the game and Talad hiding behind "the PS Team" just to say said team refutes the claims of malcontents doesn't cut it... There needs to be some direction changes just to clear the air.

For the Lazy People :P : Trolls will be around until the favorable environment for them is cleaned properly and thoroughly. Even adding stigma isn't enough.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 07:06:31 pm »
Everything you mentioned is just there to create the illusion that they are. It's just like politics, where your voice doesn't actually count, they only say so. And it's important to them that you think they listen to you, so that you further support them; hence, they will do everything to maintain the illusion. In reality, you don't count.

Only an ignorant or apathetic fool believes that a person's voice doesn't count. That is you.

Trolls will only leave if everyone's used to them and doesn't bother about them.

That is exactly what has and is happening. People don't bother - they just chatter away with them.

Illysia, more posts about solutions?

Neither of you know what your talking about.

Trolls are people who like to hurt others - they use forums as mediums for their needs. They survive for long because they are tolerated, and often accepted. PS will never be perfect enough - nothing ever is - for trolls to be gone forever. People such as Xoel would subsist here, still, if this project had everything someone like Illysia could dream of in an RPG.

Don't even bother to try and work in a way this ties into PS' problems involving the GMs, Devs, gameplay or client issues. Pointless.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »
Expand your horizons Irishman... and definitions. ;) Trolls that don't affect anybody are as good as not there. Timmy does it all the time but it's not the same kind of trolling and many find it absolutely hilarious. I'm afraid you are no more "aware" of the reality thab anyone else and derula is right. Posts like the one to Xoel make matters worse by feeding the fire oh wise one. ;)

Also, ignore the ties if you want... The team has had that policy for sometime and look where PS is. :oops:

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 07:43:12 pm »
Need I explain the context of my using the world "Trolls"? There are different types of trolls - thats why I gave the definition for the context, Timmy not being included, neither I or others like Sarras.

ADDED: Feeding the fire does not include making measures to stop the source of the flame.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 07:44:43 pm »
Starving trolls seek lusher feeding grounds... ;) Don't feed the trolls.

A simple but profound internet concept.

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 07:46:52 pm »
That is my point. Been saying it in almost all of my replies to this topic.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 07:57:08 pm »
And ironically all your posts happen to be troll food. That's the point derula made. ;)

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 08:14:07 pm »
Every post can be troll food. He made no good point.

Feeding the fire does not include making measures to stop the source of the flame.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 08:49:50 pm »
Trolls have their dining prefrence like any other and a lot of flamable materials doesn't negate gasoline's particularly notable interaction with fire.

Simply put, you're putting the fire out with gasoline... ;) As any internet source, and anyone with some experience with trolls, will tell you, ignoring them is the best thing you can do.

Marathal

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:59 pm »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:10:42 am by derula »

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2010, 09:40:30 pm »
I have no issue in personally dealing with trolls - I am attempting something for the community as a whole. I don't know where you got the impression that I needed your shouldnts, shoulds and advices.

For the rest of what your saying, you're going off into a tangent I have no interest in.

I made my point before this.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:42:46 pm by bloodedIrishman »