Author Topic: Jailbreaks  (Read 1214 times)

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
Jailbreaks
« on: October 09, 2010, 03:29:21 pm »
Now I know this has probably had a billion discussions, but I'm going to get my two cents in. I've got a plan outlined that would theoretically, at least enable you to get into the jail. It would require a crapload of Gm cooperation, because NPCS would have to be used. But wouldn't a jailbreak GM event be something fun for everyone? Say your character doesn't like the person being sprung, help hunt him down! Say your character does, help him escape!

Ill outline the plan here, please, help poke holes in it to be fixed! (big holes, not just tiny tiny things.)

From what I learned from GMS, tbe prison is pretty much impervious to magic attacks like burning down the door. This would mean it has some sort of strong magical barrier. There is also the matter of unlocking the door and cells, and getting past Taulim and the (unseeable at least) other guards protecting the jail.

Let us assume that all guards eventually get around to doing different jobs protecting the city, as most guards do. Some days you're just on patrol, other days you're guarding different parts of the city like the jail. From what I've learned doing quests, Bevon isn't the brightest tool in the shed. It wouldn't be the most difficult task to have someone distract him, or perhaps dress up like a guard yourself and steal his keys (or just trick him in your fake guard suit into just giving them to you) Viola, you can get into the door and cells.

Before you can get to the door at all though, there is the matter of the magical barrier protecting the jail. After doing several quests involving Levrus, you can deduce he's often 'not all there'. He is also old, and seems to be at least a little bit lonely after the loss of his apprentice. By whatever means necessary, either by paying him or tricking him, you might acquire a means of breaking down magical barriers. (Though there may not be any surrounding the prison at all, im just guessing)

Alright, you can get past any magical protection, and open up the doors, but what about Taulim (and the invisible other guards) standing guard around the jail? Here's where money comes into the mix. Either by Ukanbu or Zak, you could pay one of them (preferably one that you've gotten to like you the most, and also with a high theives faction level) to go and jangle themselves around in front of the guard house, obviously causing the guards to have to give chase. Someone like Zak is obviously an expert at getting away from people trying to kill him, so you could be almost certain he would be safe if you're worried about him.

Alright, you can sneak past Taulim, and get inside the jail, but what now? The jail would have to have guards inside. This could take timing, and is the most inexact part of the break. Guards change shifts, its inevitable, but if you got right between the times where the old guards are going out, and the new ones are coming in, there would be significantly less of them. You would have to either overpower, or use some tricky magic and or items to get past the few that remain inside. Then of course you've got to open up your friends cell, and escape with him/her against a tide of other players and or guards.

Now then, poke away.  

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Jailbreaks
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »
Well one possible hole is that the guards, or many of them , live in the jail since it is really a jail/barracks. To support this there are several beds on the upstair areas on both sides of the house. so during your shift change there are likely more guards in the jail/barracks not less.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:46:35 pm »
Thank you for your input! Jail/barracks was something i should have forseen. There is also more than one way into a jail then the doors. If you could get down the magic, you could get through the roof or a window. Heck, maybe tunnel through the dang sewers.

And even if they do live there, they probably dont spend all their life in there. Eventually they'd leave to go do other duties. I know it would be impossible to find a time when there are no guards, that'd just be improbable, but at some point there would be less than a full regiment.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »
it would be a lot more helpful and realistic if the guards weren't demigods...

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:18:29 pm »
It would, but it would also be realistic if the Hydlaa NPC Guards were able to react, so.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »
Put something sleepy in the garrison's soup.  :thumbup:

- Nova

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 09:37:08 pm »
just burn down Chorind's house and watch the guards go running

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 10:41:43 pm »
hi
remember that court event last year. We could have him breakout. Good idea :)

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 04:03:15 pm »
You could always have a group of other people willing to cause trouble in North Hydlaa, drawing all the guards out of East Hydlaa, except for a few that would remain to guard the prisoners. 
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 04:36:11 pm »
While a good jailbreak RP might be fun the one thing that the GMs have to be concerned about is the charge of showing favoritism. for example if we let one player character get away with a jail break then the next player who lands in jail is going to want to break out as well. If we don't let the second player have their jail break then they will complain that we are being unfair because we let Player X have their jail break but we aren't letting them have their. I would see a jail break being more of a GM even with a GM character being the one broken out of jail just to avoid the problems of protests of favoritism on the part of the GM team.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:43:43 pm »
well, about multiple jailbreaks, the second person would have to also have enough people willing to help them pull the break, and also a couple of different ideas, since the guards would learn from the first time. So that second person should think whether or not they've got an the manpower and brainpower to do it themselves.

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:38:20 pm »
Phantom brings up a good point.  The player would have to get a significant player group together to pull something like this off.  Not one or two friends, but ten or more.  With that kind of effort in place, it would be easy to refute any GM favoritism.  But even a GM event of a jailbreak would be fun to try XD. 
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai