Author Topic: ok no daily builds for ps but what about weekly builds ?  (Read 345 times)

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
ok no daily builds for ps but what about weekly builds ?
« on: October 13, 2010, 12:06:50 pm »
for those of us idiots who dont know how to compile source code the possibility of daily builds was discussed and deemed not feasable due to lack of a dedicated server to perform the build.

what about weekly builds of the client into it's binary installers? it would use less time but still allow the players to stay relitivly close to the cvs/svn (not sure which you use) version

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ok no daily builds for ps but what about weekly builds ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »
And what do the "idiots who dont know how to compile source code" want with a weekly snapshot? Annoying themself with half finished features that cause more problems in their state than do good? Going to ask devs to spend time on coding toggles for those features so that they can play with the weekly build? Complaining that they can't connect to to official servers because of protocol changes? Bug people to also supply a ready to run test server implementation for that weekly build?

Seriously...I think it's easier to explain those two or three "idiots" who want this the PlaneShift Compiling Guide than handing out weekly builds...but I am no dev, I have no clue of course. Still that guide is a step by step explanation how to do it...for people who still can't do it after reading that I can't see what a weekly build with all it's problems offers.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 12:48:07 pm »
Seriously...I think it's easier to explain those two or three "idiots" who want this the PlaneShift Compiling Guide than handing out weekly builds...but I am no dev,

My feeling is that you would not have to be an idiot, but illiterate, to not be able to make a build from that concise document.  ;D

- Nova 

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:13:09 am »
There is at least one reason why even that would fail:

Updates which require a changed database or network code so they will become incompatible with the currently running server.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:26:43 am »
not to forget those that require additional art, new data, ...