Author Topic: Are roman numbers OOC?  (Read 1137 times)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Are roman numbers OOC?
« on: October 19, 2010, 03:12:07 am »
[ :thumbup: Nice guild structure.

BUT yes me and my name hating, still finds your name lowly thought out. I also find your list OOCly named as I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, are the Roman numerals, Roman Numerals are not IC. Other than that great work with your guild so far!]

split from http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=38318.0
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:55:53 am by neko kyouran »
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: [GUILD] Guilds & Traders Journal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:35:03 pm »

BUT yes me and my name hating, still finds your name lowly thought out. I also find your list OOCly named as I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, are the Roman numerals, Roman Numerals are not IC. Other than that great work with your guild so far!]

I would say that Roman numerals are quite alright to use, seeing as the IG laws in the Octarchal Decree all have Roman numerals.
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:20:36 pm »

I would say that Roman numerals are quite alright to use, seeing as the IG laws in the Octarchal Decree all have Roman numerals.

Or maybe that just shows how fail PlaneShift is to its settings :P

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 11:38:48 pm »
Or some people love nitpicking so much that they do it even with absolutely unimportant details.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:02:29 am »

Without higher mathematics a system akin to Roman Numerals seems much more natural a development and more fitting to PS settings. Our modern numeric's set should be on the same par as the use of smilies in Main.

- Nova

Raikana

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:08:37 am »

Roman numbers, first of all, are numbers. Is not OOC to write "1" or "15" or "6377" even if in fact these are Arabic numbers. So let's not be racist! ::)

I would also like to emphasize that we are going  :offtopic:. This thread exists so that interested citizens can help the development of the newspaper and I would ask everyone to avoid discussions about topics that are not of any real utility.

Thanks to all for the participation!
Characters: Zakena Plip

Raikana

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:16:05 am »
I would like to ask to a moderator to move all this useless discussion to the "Hydlaa Plaza" forum, please. The topic is "Are roman numbers OOC?".... :(
Characters: Zakena Plip

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Are roman numbers OOC?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 12:37:45 pm »
If they're in the Octarchal Laws, then they're not OOC, unless the settings team decides to change that. Honestly, is it that much of a stretch to assume that in a land full of so many intelligent races from different backgrounds, there would be a few different ways of writing numbers?
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:54:48 pm »
That's possibly the most retarded suggestion I have ever heard. 6=VI. It's said "six" whether written in roman numerals or the simple number. 
Therefore, one could write it however they please in Main.

There is no zero in roman numerals; thus a less developed numeric system. I, II and III are straight from finger counting. The rest looks like a mishmash building upon that theme. Interestingly, a Roman Numeral conversion program was the first programming assignment given me in university so they hold a soft spot to me still.

If memory serves, on some semi-official posting or settings page, it was suggested to not use regular numerics in Main. i.e. use three instead of 3.

- Nova

Perlam

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Masters of Move Guildsite
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 01:07:19 pm »

Koios is right, the laws in the Octarchal Decree are written in Roman numbers

Heleckie: why is there always an apple involved
Heleckie: why not a mango

Irgendwer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 01:26:39 pm »

split from http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=38318.0

0123456789 <- These are Arabic numerals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu-Arabic_numerals)
abcdefhijklmnopqrstuvwxyz <- These are latin characters.

Hope, you play a deaf and dump character in game, as otherwise, I can not perceive how you'd able to communicate ICly.

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 02:00:13 pm »
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 02:35:39 pm »
I spoke with Venalan and he said that the new laws that will be released sometime in the near future are in Arabic numbers, obviously because Roman Numerals are OOC.
It is pretty obvious they are OOC as you cant really say in main: "Oh those Roman Numerals, I so don't understand them" Rom, Roman, are both OOC because they exist in the real world, as also the same as naming a character William or John... etc. To the PS settings it is OOC imo.

Perlam

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Masters of Move Guildsite
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 02:40:45 pm »
k, but Arabic numbers would be OOC too, in truest sense

Heleckie: why is there always an apple involved
Heleckie: why not a mango

Irgendwer

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:18:52 pm »
... I wonder if OOC phobic roleplayers could be pleased if the devs would stop working on the actual game until they have come up with a synthetic language, totally unique to PlaneShift (actually one per race and dialect) that has an equally unique glyph set as an alphabet. We could finally eliminate OOC once and for all by no longer having OOC words.
Well ... we probably wouldn't have any players any more either, but hey, that's an acceptable tradeoff in order to turn PS into an RP heaven, isn't it?