Author Topic: gm's shouldn't address cursing unless player bypasses the chat filter knowingly  (Read 435 times)

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
i find it odd that in a game with both a swear filter and the ability to turn said filter on and off that a gm should have the right or the obligation to warn a player for swearing in clear text. those who are offended by language will leave their filters on and those who arren't should turn them off. the game has a obvious option to turn the filters on and off. personally i think the gm's should only address swearing on the instances that players use special characters such as @$% or spaces to knowingly bypass the filter.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Part of the job of a GM is to enforce the rules. the rules state.

RP Content:

Players have absolute freedom to RP any subject they want that fits within PS Settings. However, all content in public dialogue tabs in Planeshift must be PG Rated (Parental Guidance Suggested).

In other words: no profanity, no explicit sexual content, no RL drug use.

Note these rules are from before the Gossip channel was created but the GMs enforce the same language standards on the Gossip channel as well since it is a public channel.

Te full rules re Language and content can be seen at http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=31960.msg367021#msg367021

Don't blame the GMs for enforcing the rules as posted publicly for the game.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Cussing is generally a colloquial thing. In my country, in general, the French speaking population curses against aspects of the Catholic Church while the English speakers curse against aspects of sex. Perhaps we all curse against that which we are hung up on? That said, try making your cussing IC. That is rather than calling someone a %$*@head you might try something like dung of a Trepor.

- Nova

[Edit - spelling ]

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Oh...that was what the chat filter was meant for originally. But bypassing it is much easier than typing some strange letter. You only have to edit the options/chat.xml file for it. That way you can get rid of censoring any swear words and make the chatfilter do something really useful like correcting my terrible typing:

Code: [Select]
            <replace bad="accpeted" good="accepted" />
            <replace bad="adn" good="and" />
            <replace bad="afetr" good="after" />
            <replace bad="afetrwards" good="afterwards" />
            <replace bad="ahve" good="have" />
            <replace bad="ahrd" good="hard" />
            <replace bad="amde" good="made" />
            <replace bad="amke" good="make" />

Or my all time favorite:
            <replace bad="ass he" good="as she" />

There are a lot of other good uses for the chat filter for lazy people like me:
            <replace bad="osp" good="Octarchal Society for Progress" />
            <replace bad="rco" good="Red Crystal Organization" />
            <replace bad="rcd" good="Red Crystal Den" />
            <replace bad="adv_thx" good="You are welcome. Have fun" />
            <replace bad="adv_unstick" good='Try typing &quot;/unstick&quot; in the chat window' />
            <replace bad="adv_npc" good="It seems the NPC-client (the program that controls the monsters) is down at the moment. You have to wait until it&apos;s restarted again before you can attack anything. But there are a lot of others things you can do in PlaneShift. Try some quests or learn some crafting...or just Roleplay with some other characters." />
            <replace bad="adv_gm" good="To contact a GM make a petition (Button in the main toolbar). Or you can go the the #planeshift IRC channel on freenode. There is a web interface for this at http://www.planeshift.it/chat/" />
            <replace bad="adv_run" good='Open your options (&lt;o&gt;-key) and go to Controls/Keys. Assign keys to &quot;run&quot; and &quot;toggleRun&quot; and after pressing &quot;save&quot; you should be able to run with these keys' />
            <replace bad="adv_right" good='Open your options (&lt;o&gt;-key) and go to Controls/Mouse. Hold the &lt;ctrl&gt;-key while pressing the &quot;set&quot; button next to &quot;ContextMenu&quot;. After pressing &quot;save&quot; you should be able to use &lt;ctrl&gt;-leftclick to bring up the context menu.' />
            <replace bad="adv_tutorial" good="There is a walkthrough for the tutorial at http://pswiki.xordan.com/index.php?title=Tutorial_Walk_Through" />
            <replace bad="adv_furnace" good='Step close to the furnace and right-click it. Then select the &quot;examine&quot; icon from the context menu. Move your ore from the inventory to one of the free slots of the furnace and wait.' />
            <replace bad="adv_r" good="I think Xargon already mentioned the word. And as a hint, this is a mmoRPg" />
            <replace bad="adv_map" good="There is nothing like a mini-map in PlaneShift. But you can buy empty maps and paint your own maps in game." />
            <replace bad="adv_spoiler" good="Sorry, we are not allowed to give spoilers like how to complete quests, locations of NPCs or which NPC trains what in the help channel. Please ask some other players in game." />
            <replace bad="adv_logs" good='For linux the logfiles are under &quot;~/.PlaneShift/logs&quot;. On a mac you can find them under &quot;~/Library/Application Support/PlaneShift/logs&quot; (&quot;~&quot; is the home folder of your user in both cases). For windows open a windows explorer and enter &quot;%AppData%&quot; in the address bar. Then navigate to the &quot;PlaneShift&quot; folder and then to &quot;logs&quot;.' />

And of course it can be also used for some RP speeches that can be prepared in advance (like a theater-play in a vaudeville)
            <replace bad="line0001" good="[All actions on the stage are just acted. The blood used is only artificial, being produced by squeezing red fluid out of pouches. Wounds and deaths are just played, and it can be observed by the audience, that it is faked. Please stay IC and keep conversations low in order to not disrupt the flow.]" />
            <replace bad="line0002" good="Welcome, citizens of Yliakum! I am proud to present to you the first performance of a theater play at the Red Crystal Den." />
            <replace bad="line0003" good="Supported by the Octarchal Society for Progress, we hope to entertain you with a theater piece written by the Octarch's Champion and security chief in charge: Orgonwukh." />
            <replace bad="line0004" good="Some may wonder about the writer of the piece. Well, when we were looking for a good theater piece, we were surprised to discover, that most of them are not worth being played, so we were looking for alternatives." />
            <replace bad="line0005" good="Orgonwukh provided his theater play 'The Outlaw' to the Red Crystal Organization, and we immediately agreed that it is an excellent choice for our first performance of a theater play." />
            <replace bad="line0006" good="/me looks at Orgonwukh somewhat unsure" />
            <replace bad="line0007" good="/me stares at Haraun with narrow eyes" />
            <replace bad="line0008" good="/me quickly adds &quot;...unanimously.&quot;" />
            <replace bad="line0009" good="/me nods with a broad grin" />
            <replace bad="line0010" good="/me looks at the audience again and takes a deep breath" />
            <replace bad="line0011" good="So you now will see the premiere of this piece and also the first performance of the Red Crystal Organization " />

But back to the topic...The rules are pretty clear on swearing and I don't think this will change at some point. If you want to do it in your RPs then makes sure others are fine with the way your character talks and are over 18 years old..then just take it to group-chat.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Those are wonderful tips, Aiwendil! Like you, my typing becomes choppy when in some more laggy locations and the "ass he" and such suggestions will work very well for me! Much thanks for that insight!

- Nova