Author Topic: Misusing features....or how to get PS to do something useful  (Read 1734 times)

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Misusing features....or how to get PS to do something useful
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:52:12 pm »
Okay, since most older players are gone and can't pass on some tips to newer players I forced myself to make a serious post and offer a few, useful hacks for PlaneShift. I think most of these are even useful nowadays without any RP in PS. Use them, ignore them, do whatever you want with them...

First of all its kind of important to understand that PS uses a different directory for it's configuration than the install-directory. All configs, chat logs, saved books, saved sketches and screenshots can be found there.

On linux you can find that directory at "~/.PlaneShift" ("~" is your users home directory, ".PlaneShift" is a hidden directory so you might have to adjust you filemanager's settings to see it)

On windows the easiest way to get there is typing "%AppData%" in the address bar of the windows explorer (filemanager). Then just click on the "PlaneShift" directory there. (full directory: "%AppData%\PlaneShift")

On MacOS the directory is "~/Library/Application Support/PlaneShift". ("~" is the home directory of your user..the house icon on the left side of the finder)

So..why is that directory so important? First of all because in the "logs" sub-directory you find the chat logs. No idea how anyone can play PS without those.

But the other reason is because the files in "options" sub-folder allows you to do some nice stuff in PS.

Let's start with camera.xml:
Here we already have something important (since it's not possible anymore to change that in game)
In the <General> section of that file you can turn of camera collision checking.
Code: [Select]
<General>
    <camsetting name="StartingCameraMode" value="0" />
    <camsetting name="UseCollisionDetection" value="off" />
    <camsetting name="UseNPCCam" value="off" />
    <camsetting name="TransitionThreshold" value="1" />
</General>
The important line here is: "<camsetting name="UseCollisionDetection" value="off" />". With this the camera won't bounce off walls and the ground but go through them. While this for sure doesn't look as nice graphics wise (it leads to graphics bugs when you look at places without any 3d objects) it's pretty useful in narrow places...or in Kada El's to see what happens on the other floors.

Next interesting thing in the camera file is the <FreeRotation> section. There is a line "<camsetting name="MaxCameraDistance" value="200" />" in that section. By changing the value of "MaxCameraDistance" you set how far you can scroll back the camera. Might be useful if you want to make a map-like-screenshot of a larger area or for some other nice screenshots.

Next interesting file: chat.xml
customizing the chat filter:
The chat filter of PS is one of the greatest tools the game has. You can use it as a simple spell checker for words constantly typed wrong. (For everything I say here to work the outgoing chat filter has to be turned on. If you don't like the chat filter censoring some of your words just remove the listed words at the start and the <replace bad="brb" good="I will return shortly"/> for every substitution you don't like. I wouldn't turn on the incoming message filter if using these tips as they might change what another player types accidentally...but that's up to you)

To setup a simple spell-checker just do something like this in the file:
    <filters>
        <badwords incoming="0" outgoing="1">
            <replace bad="accpeted" good="accepted" />
            <replace bad="adn" good="and" />
            <replace bad="afetr" good="after" />
            <replace bad="afetrwards" good="afterwards" />
            <replace bad="ahve" good="have" />
            <replace bad="ahrd" good="hard" />
            <replace bad="amde" good="made" />
            <replace bad="amke" good="make" />
    <replace bad="ass he" good="as she" />
        </badwords>
    </filters>

It can be also used to abbreviate some frequently used phrases. Just add something like this to the <badwords> section:
            <replace bad="osp" good="Octarchal Society for Progress" />
            <replace bad="rco" good="Red Crystal Organization" />
            <replace bad="rcd" good="Red Crystal Den" />
            <replace bad="adv_thx" good="You are welcome. Have fun" />
            <replace bad="adv_unstick" good='Try typing &quot;/unstick&quot; in the chat window' />
            <replace bad="adv_npc" good="It seems the NPC-client (the program that controls the monsters) is down at the moment. You have to wait until it&apos;s restarted again before you can attack anything. But there are a lot of others things you can do in PlaneShift. Try some quests or learn some crafting...or just Roleplay with some other characters." />
            <replace bad="adv_gm" good="To contact a GM make a petition (Button in the main toolbar). Or you can go the the #planeshift IRC channel on freenode. There is a web interface for this at http://www.planeshift.it/chat/" />
            <replace bad="adv_run" good='Open your options (&lt;o&gt;-key) and go to Controls/Keys. Assign keys to &quot;run&quot; and &quot;toggleRun&quot; and after pressing &quot;save&quot; you should be able to run with these keys' />
            <replace bad="adv_right" good='Open your options (&lt;o&gt;-key) and go to Controls/Mouse. Hold the &lt;ctrl&gt;-key while pressing the &quot;set&quot; button next to &quot;ContextMenu&quot;. After pressing &quot;save&quot; you should be able to use &lt;ctrl&gt;-leftclick to bring up the context menu.' />
            <replace bad="adv_tutorial" good="There is a walkthrough for the tutorial at http://pswiki.xordan.com/index.php?title=Tutorial_Walk_Through" />
            <replace bad="adv_furnace" good='Step close to the furnace and right-click it. Then select the &quot;examine&quot; icon from the context menu. Move your ore from the inventory to one of the free slots of the furnace and wait.' />
            <replace bad="adv_r" good="I think Xargon already mentioned the word. And as a hint, this is a mmoRPg" />
            <replace bad="adv_map" good="There is nothing like a mini-map in PlaneShift. But you can buy empty maps and paint your own maps in game." />
            <replace bad="adv_spoiler" good="Sorry, we are not allowed to give spoilers like how to complete quests, locations of NPCs or which NPC trains what in the help channel. Please ask some other players in game." />
            <replace bad="adv_logs" good='For linux the logfiles are under &quot;~/.PlaneShift/logs&quot;. On a mac you can find them under &quot;~/Library/Application Support/PlaneShift/logs&quot; (&quot;~&quot; is the home folder of your user in both cases). For windows open a windows explorer and enter &quot;%AppData%&quot; in the address bar. Then navigate to the &quot;PlaneShift&quot; folder and then to &quot;logs&quot;.' />
In the example some special xml chars are used for some signs:
  • &quot; becomes " in PlaneShift
  • &apos; becomes '
  • &lt; becomes <
  • &gt; becomes >
Those are needed because they have a special meaning in xml files...so wherever you want to use them in text you have to use those special chars.

And of course it can be also used for some RP speeches that can be prepared in advance (like a theater-play in a vaudeville)
            <replace bad="line0001" good="[All actions on the stage are just acted. The blood used is only artificial, being produced by squeezing red fluid out of pouches. Wounds and deaths are just played, and it can be observed by the audience, that it is faked. Please stay IC and keep conversations low in order to not disrupt the flow.]" />
            <replace bad="line0002" good="Welcome, citizens of Yliakum! I am proud to present to you the first performance of a theater play at the Red Crystal Den." />
            <replace bad="line0003" good="Supported by the Octarchal Society for Progress, we hope to entertain you with a theater piece written by the Octarch's Champion and security chief in charge: Orgonwukh." />
            <replace bad="line0004" good="Some may wonder about the writer of the piece. Well, when we were looking for a good theater piece, we were surprised to discover, that most of them are not worth being played, so we were looking for alternatives." />
            <replace bad="line0005" good="Orgonwukh provided his theater play 'The Outlaw' to the Red Crystal Organization, and we immediately agreed that it is an excellent choice for our first performance of a theater play." />
            <replace bad="line0006" good="/me looks at Orgonwukh somewhat unsure" />
            <replace bad="line0007" good="/me stares at Haraun with narrow eyes" />
            <replace bad="line0008" good="/me quickly adds &quot;...unanimously.&quot;" />
            <replace bad="line0009" good="/me nods with a broad grin" />
            <replace bad="line0010" good="/me looks at the audience again and takes a deep breath" />
            <replace bad="line0011" good="So you now will see the premiere of this piece and also the first performance of the Red Crystal Organization " />
The nice thing about this is that "/shout line0008" works in game like a "/shout /me quickly adds "...unanimously."" As far as I now /me is the only command that works in chat filter replacements. You can't put the /shout command in there. (okay, you can..but it will be printed like text. Pretty funny to make a <replace bad="cmd_die" good="/die" /> and have people wonder how you type "/die" in chat without dying ;) Even more fun to ask them to do it themselves....)

Last interesting file in that directory is "shortcutcommands.xml"...not much one can do there, but it's much nicer to edit some shortcuts in a text editor with spell checker than in-game. If you need quotes or apostrophes in the text don't forget to use the xml-replacements for them.
    <shortcut54 name="Aiwendil House">/group **The ground floor consists only of one large room. A small stair at the left side of the room, just wide enough to allow one person to get through, leads upwards to the first floor. The side of the stair is covered by some wooden shelves which mainly embody books but also some smaller items and toys of Terendul. To the right of the entrance a large wooden table stands on a frayed, dark red carpet. Behind the table there is a small kitchen in the corner consisting only of a stove, a small table with a large water bucket on it and some shelves, containing the dishes, a few pots and some other utilities. A cupboard next to the table obviously holds some food an ingredients needed for cooking. The carved parquet floor of the room enhances the impression of a worn but not uncomfortable house.**</shortcut54>

Now to something else that might be useful for people with more than one account. This time not in the configuration directory but the install-directory. In the "data" sub-folder there is a file called servers.xml. It includes the addresses of the official servers. By copying a <server> line there and changing the name one can make the login screen on PS display two entries for the same server:
<serverlist>
<server name="laanx (RP)-1" description="SkyLab Host is our roleplay server. All players are expected to engage in roleplay and avoid things like leetspeak.
Failure to follow these rules will result in kicks/bans.
Register at http://planeshift.skylabhost.it/register" ip="62.173.168.9" port="7777" />
<server name="laanx (RP)-2" description="SkyLab Host is our roleplay server. All players are expected to engage in roleplay and avoid things like leetspeak.
Register at http://planeshift.skylabhost.it/register" ip="62.173.168.9" port="7777" />
<server name="laanx (RP)-3" description="SkyLab Host is our roleplay server. All players are expected to engage in roleplay and avoid things like leetspeak.
</serverlist>
But how is that useful? Pretty simple...The login email and the password are saved for each servername in that file...this way you can have a different standard login for "laanx (RP)-1" and "laanx (RP)-2" in my example. So to login a different account all you have to do is selecting another server in the list...not changing the login data.

Hope that's helpful for a few people. Now have fun again with your PLing...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:06:35 am by Aiwendil »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Misusing features....or how to get PS to do something useful
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »
And these little edits can be used with the official servers because it's not an edit to the actual client, right? Wai didn't you make this thread earlier? :'( This stuff looks useful... well, to someone still playing anyway.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »
I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed...it are only configuration options that can't be changed in the user interface (yet). And I doubt anyone will declare local configuration files as sourcecode now so that those changes are seen as modded clients.

Awww..sorry, thought you knew about all this. At least the chatfilter we used often in RCO events. ;)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:52:24 pm »
Yeah and I still couldn't make heads or tails of how to edit the chat configuration thingie back then. :P

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 11:18:18 pm »
More cool tips! Thanks Aiwendil!

- Nova

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 12:08:30 am »
I'm glad this was posted; I've considered sharing the chat.xml thing used for The Outlaw with others, but I'm terrible at explaining this sort of thing. Thanks Ai! :thumbup:
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 01:08:22 am »
:thumbup: Thank you for summing it all up.

Unfortunately, the Opera browser does not wrap looooong CODE lines. It tears apart the whole page. Where is the "Post" button now?!

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 05:52:45 am »
Admittedly, the music of PS is not bad, but after some time playing it gets old. But no need to desperate...it's not that hard to replace with some own music.

What you need for this are music files in the vorbis ogg format. (I think wave files would work also, but for the background music of a game they are wasted space). A easy way to convert audio files on linux is Konvertible but every other sound converting application should do. Sorry, no clue about windows or macOS but I am sure there are many free converters out there also.

Once you have the .ogg file of the music you want create a new directory in the "art/music" sub-folder of your planesift installation directory. I use "mymusic" in the following example as directory name but feel free to use whatever name you like and just change the xml file accordingly. Next copy the .ogg file(s) in that newly created directory.

Now go back to the "art" sub-folder. In it should be a file called "soundlib.xml". Make a backup of it!

Next open "soundlib.xml" in your preferred text editor. It lists more or less all music files used within PlaneShift.
Now comes the important stuff...never change the "name" of a sound. The name needs to be the same for the executable to find the correct sound/music. Only change the "file"..so for example to replace the music at the login screen change the
    <Sound name="mainmenu" file="/planeshift/art/music/main/maintheme.ogg"/>
line to
    <Sound name="mainmenu" file="/planeshift/art/music/mymusic/Powerlevellers_Creed.ogg"/>

The file is always relative to the PlaneShift install directory, that's why it's easiest to just create a directory there and copy the files there. Oh, and for windows users...use "/" instead of "\" for paths like in the example...msdos and resulting from this windows thought is's a great idea to use backslashes for separating directories...so windows users have up to now live with almost every URL looking different than the windows intern ones.

That's already all that is needed to have a different music played at the login screen..works the same for the other sounds in PS.

There is one more thing that might be worth mentioning. Soundeffects can be changed in this file also. While I doubt many will be up to make their own sound effects this is instead useful to disable some annoying magic sounds. If you don't like a sound and want to disable it just replace the file with "/planeshift/art/music/main/zzz.ogg".

And one last thing (this is also true for the previous hint about servers.xml to manage different accounts): Make a backup once you changed the xml-file. The PlaneShift updater will overwrite the file with every "--repair" update or if there is a regular update for the file.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 06:19:03 am »
The reason to use forward slashes ("/") is that PlaneShift refers to internal structures in a "Virtual File System" defined in the vfs.cfg file; possibly another hook to grab, for tweakers...
__

For Windows you can find a lot of converters towards Ogg Vorbis on http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.php (no, there are no "Warez" at all).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:21:20 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 08:30:54 am »
Always wondered why your magician char who slays everything with magics has to cope with the same shortcuts as the fighter char who slays everything with a large hammer? You only have one char who needs the annoying chat window because he sells all the special loot of your other chars? No problem...it's not so hard to setup PlaneShift to use different configuration directories.

First go to the PlaneShift installation directory. In it should be the executables for psclient and pslaunch (on windows I think psclient.exe and pslaunch.exe). Create some shortcuts to both of these files. (In KDE right-click some empty space of the directory in dolphin, "new" -> "link to application", I think it's similar in windows and macOS. In the upcoming window give both shortcuts a meaningful name like "pslaunch-Uber-Super-monster-slayer" and "psclient-Uber-Super-monster-slayer"). As the program to link choose the executables for pslaunch and psclient. But then add "-cfgset=PlaneShift.UserConfigPath=<some-path-to-a-writable-directory>" (like "-cfgset=PlaneShift.UserConfigPath=/home/aiwendil/.PlaneShift-Kill-Them-All") to both commands.

After doing that with both shortcuts, start the pslaunch shortcut to do some general settings.This method also allows running clients with different graphic settings, like one for the main char with all settings as minimum so that duels lag less and anther one with all settings at max for group-screenshots of the guild). Now everything is ready to start the psclient shortcut. You will start with a complete fresh configuration which is independent from the default configuration or any other configuration you create by this method. All you have to do to use the different configurations is starting PS with the shortcut.

And as a last note, screenshots, logs, saved books and saved sketches will end up in the new config directory also...On linux you can still have all clients write to the same logfiles by creating hardlinks to the old logs in the new config directory but no idea if that works on MacOS (should work I guess) or windows.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:32:29 am by Aiwendil »

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:08:20 am »
Yes, PS doesn't have much public setting...and even worse it is scattered over different pages. I can't help with the stupid secrecy about settings infos from the team but at least PS offers a nice way to include often needed settings info in game without having to open a browser and search the forum, wiki or PS mainpage for it. The "data/help.xml" offers exactly this.

Before starting...make a backup of help.xml as always.

Then open the file in a texteditor.

To include a new section in that file scroll to the end of it and add a <branch> tag before the </help> end-tag:

<topic name="Z">Sit down or stand back up.</topic>
        <topic name="1 - 0">Shortcuts one through to ten in the Shortcuts Window.</topic>
    </branch>
    <branch name="Setting">
    </branch>
</help>

This way you created a new section in the in game help called "Settings". It's also easy to include a few sub-sections in it...just add another <branch>-tag

<topic name="1 - 0">Shortcuts one through to ten in the Shortcuts Window.</topic>
    </branch>
    <branch name="Setting">
<branch name="Races">
</branch>
    </branch>
</help>

But now we want some content. This is done with a <topic>-tag:

</branch>
    <branch name="Setting">
<branch name="Races">
    <topic name="Ylian">Humans enjoy learning multiple crafts or arts, without exceptions. For this reason they hold roles in virtually all organization of the city. They have an average body structure and an intelligent mind suitable for most jobs...

Physical Traits:
Their robust and well-proportioned body gives them the opportunity to work in all arts. They can have hair from black to white, eyes with wonderful colors and skin from pale to dark brown. They are from 1.60 m to 1.85 m tall.

Abilities and fields of interest:
Ylians are a practical and disciplined race with fighters, sorcerers, merchants and politicians. They tend to learn a little of everything without choosing a preferred profession.

Psychology:
The Ylians were the first men who saw the Blue Sun. They were proud of this peculiarity and, in the early days of the civilization, they invented the name Ylians to distinguish them from the other humans that arrived later. In spite of this, they are the most inclined to mix with other races, and to have friendly relations with anyone. Thanks to this ability they often cover political roles.

Nutrition:
They have no preferences on meals. Ylians eat meat, vegetables, fishes, etc.

Rules:
Starting stats: STR 60, END 55, AGI 64, INT 58, WIL 58, CHA 55
(implemented in future releases) Normal vision. +2 Mana Points at creation. No restrictions on skills.</topic>
            <topic name="Xacha">They differ from other humans because they are taller, have a...</topic>
</branch>
    </branch>
</help>

Don't forget the </topic>-endtag. Of course you can also have several sub-sections:

</branch>
    <branch name="Setting">
<branch name="Races">
    <topic name="Ylian">Humans enjoy learning...</topic>
</branch>
<branch name="History">
    <topic name="First Epoch: Laanx and Talad">Laanx and Talad were Gods before the races ever existed in Yliakum...</topic>
</branch>
    </branch>
</help>

I guess there are some other uses for this also...like creating a help.xml including a section with guild rules and handing it to every new guild member...or one with all quest spoilers, trainers magic spells and whatever.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:17:34 am by Aiwendil »

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:31:29 pm »
Okay...all blame for me resurrecting this old thread and offering even more possibilities to misuse cra...not-ideal PS features goes to Shangshi this time as he wanted to know how this can be done.

This time it's about a really great new feature of PS..the quickspell bar. No, I don't want to get into discussions about how great it is to waste coding time on a redundant system...nor into the question why a new system that is far worse than the old system in almost every view should be be preferred. I want to give some examples how this new system can actually do something useful.

So, lets create a short-cut in the quickspell-bar for equipping weapons and give it an appropriate icon.

First, open the quickspell-bar in-game and put a spell in every single slot. It doesn't really matter what spell you put there..you don't even have to use different spells. All we want is PS to create a config file with some content for ever slot of the bar. Then logout PS again.

Now open "<config-dir>/options/bartender.xml" in your preferred text editor.

First we are going to define the commands that should be executed when this slot is clicked. The original line for the first slot looks something like this:
<slot name="BartenderSlot_1" image="glyph_darkness_icon.dds" tooltip="Darkness" action="/cast Darkness" />
If you want to change not the first but another slot just edit the line with the correct Slot number.

As we want to make an equip weapon shortcut the /cast command isn't actually what we want to execute there...so let's change it:
<slot name="BartenderSlot_1" image="glyph_darkness_icon.dds" tooltip="Darkness" action="/equip Sabre" />

Okay...who fights with only one weapon. Of course we want to duel-wield, so lets add another equip command to the other hand:
<slot name="BartenderSlot_1" image="glyph_darkness_icon.dds" tooltip="Darkness" action="/equip Sabre&#x0A;/equip Sabre" />
(The "&#x0A;" is the special code for <return>. So if you want to add even more commands just put a "&#x0A;" between them)

Of course we can also adjust the tooltip to display something more appropriate
<slot name="BartenderSlot_1" image="glyph_darkness_icon.dds" tooltip="Fear not...I have a sword." action="/equip Sabre&#x0A;/equip Sabre" />

Now last but not least we want an appropriate icon. This is the hard part...as figuring out the icon name is not that easy. Most icons available in PS are listed in a file called "imagelist.xml". But that file in buried in a zip-archive in "art/skins/base/client_base.zip". So for a list of all available icons you have to unpack that file somewhere and take a look in imagelist.xml. I took a sabre icon as example here:
<slot name="BartenderSlot_1" image="/planeshift/materials/sabre01a_icon.dds" tooltip="Fear not...I have a sword." action="/equip Sabre&#x0A;/equip Sabre" />

Now start PS and we get something like this:

Click the shortcut and have fun with you weapons. Of course you can make other shortcuts like this as well...one to unequip the weapons again comes to my mind there...or shortcuts for greeting (/me works here as command of course too) or showing of specific windows ("/show study"...this will even act as toggle..so clicking the shortcut again will hide the window again). Use your imagination ;)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 04:50:08 pm »
Sweet :)

So far I've only used the thickSpellbar for spells that I use rarely as hot keys are far more convenient for targeting, attacking and looting. Using this for generic greetings and spell/attack descriptions with $target might actually be quite handy.

An idel hack though, would be to find a way to scale the bar down to 1/2 or 1/4 the height.

Another thing that would make this more usable is the assignment of hot keys, and an alphanumeric overlay so you can see which hot key correlates with each button. -- this is why I still rely mainly on the shortcut bar. You can at least prefix your button labels with the hot key description. Ie. "[F5] Loot"