Author Topic: Cooperative Plot Creation's How To  (Read 1236 times)

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
Cooperative Plot Creation's How To
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:15:56 am »
Cooperative Plot Creation's How To

0. Introduction
We all like Roleplaying Games with thick, creative and interesting plots, right? But in a MMORPG it is particularly hard to come by these, because everything is diluted in a mass of players with different approaches and behaviours. It's still possible though!
This HOWTO explains how to create good plots at PlaneShift's Roleplay server, for someone who already understands the basics of roleplay.

1. Before You Start

1.1. Requirements
Make sure you know how to roleplay and do it for a while at PS's Roleplay Server to understand it's general context.

You also need time to spare for this. A good plot usually goes by itself after a while, but the beginning always requires plenty of effort, focus and input until everything is planned and enough material is built.

Never forget to have fun.

1.2. Some Concepts

Material: Refers to everything within the game which influences roleplay and plot creation. Backgrounds, character relations, important objects, etc.

Crutch: A crutch is material invented by plot creators that didn't take place in-game. Use as little as you can.

Input: Actions that lead to the creation of new material.

Cooperators: These are the players who will be helping you, following the script you've all agreed upon.

Participators: These players won't be aware of the script, but will participate as well.

2. Getting Started

2.1. Resources
It's rarely a good idea to start a plot from zero, because it will require you to rely heavily on crutches.
So analyse the material you have: the characters you've been playing for a while, their relations (IC friendships, Guilds), their resources (tria, items, time) and your knowledge of the setting and of other player's characters.

2.2. Plotting

2.2.1. Sketching
Now that you have considered the material you have, you just need to think about the inputs necessary to create the dynamic plot we're after. What/Who can be taken/searched for/attacked/created? Who will be responsible it? Who is influenced by it? Where should it take place? Why would you need help from strangers (participators)? Why should all of it take place?
The answers to these questions will help you get a general idea of what inputs you need to get, what crutches you'll require to use, what types of characters you'll require as collaborators in order to design a plot and the space there is for participators to jump in.

After you have an idea of what you're going after write down a simple, short and coherent script. Also it's best to make several solid and connected short plots than one big crappy one.

Avoid having situation where many collaborator characters interact simultaneously, or it'll make Plot Driving really hard.
Avoid writing static situations (like "Relo hits Juszy on the face."), try to make them as dynamic as possible ("Relo will be searching for Juszy. Relo knows Juszy stole his dagger.") This way you leave space for everyone to roleplay as they want.
Warning: Your plot should have plenty of space for the participators. It makes little sense to create a plot where everyone goes by a script. Make sure most of it happens in public, but plausible, places and leave space for interaction.

Reread the sketch more than once. Is it consistent with your character? Are the inputs capable of being produced without disrespecting settings? Can you actually communicate with that much people? Are there people enough to keep the plot flowing? Make the amends you need.

2.2.2. Cooperation
Now it's time to contact the collaborators. Use as much active characters you personally know as possible (and plausible) and then search the Database to find collaborator characters that suit your sketched plot.
Contact all collaborator players. First ask for their interest and capability in participating in a plot. Show them a little summary of it, no spoilers.
If they like the idea send them the sketch. Listen to everyone's ideas, discuss them and improve your sketch.
As soon as everybody agrees with the final plot, it's ready to be implemented. Finally!

3. Plot Driving
If you did your plotting well, only some few parts will require several of the collaborators to be online at the same time and these parts will be done at times where there are plenty of potential participators around.

Make sure the participators know at all times who they can contact to keep the plot flowing, even if you have to make some crutches, force some acting or even tell them through /tells.

Be sure to be active enough for participators and collaborators to go through you with their findings and progressions.

If things go a bit out of what you planned, try to make use of it, sometimes the plot becomes better than what you had in mind.

Have fun.

4. Oversimplified, but complete, Example

Jose has been roleplaying in PlaneShift for an year now. He gets along pretty well with some of other players and it seems he'll be having time to express his creativity.

So, Jose thinks about his resources: He's just been playing one single character, Hugthar, who is a glutton of a Kran that worships Dakkru and belongs to the Tefusang Raiders, a guild of lowly burglars. He knows of a guild of miners called Ulberpicks as well, who get gems for krans and decoration lovers.

Kra could be looking for some pretty impressive gem. Ulberpicks could have this gem, a mix of ruby, diamond, emerald... and something else. Kras mates could help kra too... But the  Ulberpicks are too tough to ambush. Maybe this is where the strangers could come in. They could help kra trick the Ulberpicks, or they could be  tricked into buying the gem the Ulberpicks wouldn't sell to the Tefusang Raiders. Why? Hugthar's just has a really exquisite taste.

(Notice there's one crutch already, the mixed gem.)

Jose writes something up: Hugthar asks around if someone can help kra buy a gem from the Ulberpicks, since they won't sell it to kra. People should get interested and ask the Ulberpicks. Ulberpicks should give the gem eventually, to someone who complies to what terms the Ulberpicks impose. A person should return to them, to be ambushed out of the gem.

Sounds fun. So Jose sends the message to the Ulberpick's guild leader and talks about his idea. The Ulberpick's leader likes it. But he says that it couldn't be a mixed gem, but maybe a necklace with all three of them, set into onyx. José thinks "sure, sounds even tastier."
He also sends a message to some of his guild mates to help with asking for help and to help with the ambush. They agree to do it.

He plays the first days and spreads the message around, along with a friend of his. They didn't need to be on at the same time, but happened to be.
However during the play the person asking the Ulberpicks told them it was the Tefusang Raiders who were asking for it and so the Ulberpicks hid the gem.
So Hugthar got no gem... And the Ulberpicks are even madder at them now. So the Tefusang Raiders will be searching the person who sang the plan in order to get their revenge.

New material was created, people had fun, everything went well.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:05:57 am by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Cooperative Plot Creation's How To
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 05:18:15 am »
Doublepost to answer to some previous criticism:

Geoni, I'll choose to go with PS's own Roleplay Guide instead of counting on external sources. We should ask the developers to correct it though.

I've corrected my example with the kran as well, thanks  for the pointer.

Novacadian, I didn't get what you mean that not all RP is random actions or PL oriented... I think this How To sows it can be generated with real creativity, while resorting to as much pre-existing material as possible.
Also, the link in the site should come back here. This is a place where criticism towards the How To can be focused and I'll make it my responsibility to update it as people help me improve the idea.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:24:00 am by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:33 am »
The Cooperative Plot Creation's How To  has been posted to the site.

If you would like it fancied up further just grab the source of that page and send me any updated versions for posting on the site.

Edit: 110810 The title of the page links back here. Hope that meets your requirements.

Nice work on the HOWTO!

- Nova

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:27:47 pm by novacadian »

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:23:46 pm »
Well, I'll tell if it gets updated.

I'm glad you liked the HOWTO, I hope it can help people.

Join the Dark Empire!

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:11:54 am »
Updated: corrected a bit of wording. Took of the 'é's out. Think you should copy it and paste it on the site, nova.

Join the Dark Empire!

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:09:19 am »
Think you should copy it and paste it on the site, nova.

Done.

Let me know if the site's version needs any more tinkering layout-wise.

- Nova