Author Topic: BUY your own SMALL ARMY!  (Read 754 times)

PkEddie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
BUY your own SMALL ARMY!
« on: May 24, 2003, 01:51:20 pm »
I think it would be awesome if people could be able to purchase slaves or a small army of about 10 NPC. If you had to go into the forest or go fight somewhere with strong monsters a person should be able to buy a few NPC that can help him out in fighting. The price range could very depending on how strong you want them. Once you buy them they come with a certain amount of life and once they are destroyed in battle they disapear. This way people can go and explore tough areas alone.
children in the back seat cause accidents
accidents in the back seat cause children

Bonez

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2003, 02:00:54 pm »
you could have npc\'s who if attacked would fight back.. or you could have servants who carry out tasks and stuff for you
Join the Legendary Warriors at http://www.legendarywarriors.tk and feel real power and wealth

beza1e1

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 02:05:39 pm »
Hiring NPC for adventures is against a role playing community in my eyes. On the other hand it would be nice to have some guards for your house, what would be a pretty boring job for a player ...
thanks for reading
 -- beza1e1

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 03:38:10 am »
Originally posted by beza1e1
Hiring NPC for adventures is against a role playing community in my eyes. On the other hand it would be nice to have some guards for your house, what would be a pretty boring job for a player ...

i agree ...hired NPC guards are ok, but hireing a NPC army?!? ...what\'s wrong with hireing 10 (or even more) players? i mean, it would cost the same, and it would be probably more effective (AI vs. an enraged experiecned paid player)
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln

kyp14

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2003, 06:37:52 am »
well hiring a small army (10 people isn\'t really an army compared with 10,000 now is it) would be role playing perhaps you are role playing a evil shrewd person who is rich and pays people to do his dirty work while he hides behind the scenes eg Osama Bin Laden

PkEddie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 12:39:51 am »
Well technically its not an army but a group of slaves or minions who attack what you tell them to attack. They can follow you into battle and protect you or help you. It would be cool if you could buy ones with diffrent skills, a person could but archerers or magicians or swordsman, I dont think they should be amazingly powerful but they should be able to hold their own for a while in battle.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 08:40:44 pm by PkEddie »

Barak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 02:40:46 am »
I would probably be better to hire players. Give players something to do, won\'t have to worry about posses making lag. Just pay more for higher level players.

Peace8)

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 03:33:31 am »
Originally posted by PkEddie
Well technically its not an army but a group of slaves or minions who attack what you tell them to attack. They can follow you into battle and protect you or help you. It would be cool if you could buy ones with diffrent skills, a person could but archerers or magicians or swordsman, I dont think they should be amazingly powerful but they should be able to hold their on for awhe in battle.

hmmm... i didn\'t notice any slaves and minions mentioned in the setting of planeshift. and i think most of us here aren\'t really in favour of 0\\/\\/|/|1|\\|g someone ...well, you can still try to buy a real player

i\'ve just begun to see a patern here - most \"evil\" players tend to choose the evil side, because it\'s usually easier to play (no rules, minons by default, wicked magic...) ...well, i think that in PS it would/should be just as easy or hard to be evil then IRL - be whatever you want to be, if you want slaves buy a real player that\'s at the lowest and in dispair, gather followers that pursue you because of their belief in you or because you pay them or because you\'d kill them if you don\'t ...but i don\'t see why you\'d get slaves&minons that easy ...and don\'t worry, there\'ll be tons of player mercanaries in PS ...it\'s just logic :)
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln

Badakai

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 01:44:02 pm »
Buying other players wouldn\'t make sense. What if you are online but he/she isn\'t? You can\'t possibly force a player to be online when you want to...
Or the other way around: your slave is online, but you aren\'t. What could that person do? Go away? But what if you need him/her when you come online?
Escaping slavery would be too easy, too.

Mercs are the way to go.

PkEddie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 08:39:44 pm »
I dont think you guys picked up on the words NPC (Non Player Character) this way people dont have to worry about people not being online. An NPC can be called upon when you log in. Also I am not prone to the \"evil\" side and you took the idea of NPC slaves the wrong way mybe NPC mercenaries sounds better. I dont expect them to be cheap infact I think they should be the oppossite, pretty expensive so random people cant buy their own little factions.

Darkanan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Buying NPCs
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2003, 12:42:48 pm »
Buying NPCs would be cool. It seems like you will soon be able to do that with buying a pterosaurus to fly with but it says that at higher levels he can even join you in battle. Whats really cool that I saw done in some RPGs was that you could buy pets and actually train them. Like you start with a little kitty cat and once the pet gets to like lvl 30 hes a powerful Tiger.

Nadius

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
i dont agree
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 02:21:07 pm »
this idea im my opinion takes away from player interaction... i mean if you could buy a npc group members what is the point of playing a mmorpg???
i know sometimes its difficult finding a group... (experenced hours and hours of waiting in sebillis for a group...) want to have a dedicated group of friends and helpers... join a large guild. hey now cmon maybe a animal pet would be of maybe even 2 .. but npc mercs no that seems foolish

!Aqua

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2003, 02:48:09 pm »
if we had those.  what would be the point of playing.  it would take away the fun.  they\'d do all of the work.  while  you sit on your butt and do nothing.  yes, that sure is a 100% fun game! NOT!

Darkanan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2003, 03:25:40 pm »
WEll i don\'t know about teh army, but with regards to the pets. You don\'t just send them off to go kill and get 100s of xp. You level with them and they are an added source of protection for you. They wouldn\'t be so powerful as to get rid of the fact that you would then only XP on your own.

PkEddie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 04:22:35 pm »
Why do people keep jumpng the gun? I dont want them to be all-powerful everlasting NPCs. If they are killed then they are gone forever, this is just a temperary solution if you want t go explore somewhere or fight a tough monster. Its not like the NPC can do all the killing for you! and if they are expensive not everyone will own them

I like the pet idea too, training your own monster coul be very helpful