Author Topic: Yliakum courier / postal service  (Read 610 times)

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Yliakum courier / postal service
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:47:39 am »
It would be nice to have some postal service. For example, if some guild has a house, one could send a message which will be delivered to the mailbox there. And private individuals without a house could check their mail at particular courier service location. This would me more fun and more realistic RP wise, instead of contacting each other through whisper (unless it's telepathy by default). Also, NPC mail couriers could really travel around, like from BD to Hydlaa, etc (unless it's delegated to pterosaurs who fly invisibly :) ).

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Yliakum courier / postal service
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 04:25:19 am »
Hmm spoiler maybe? but have you tried storing something in Hydlaa and going to Jirosh in Ojaveda and finding it's there?
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:42:04 am »
That's another question. What is it RP wise? Teleportation? However it works only for personal things. The subject above is sending to others. Can you do it with regular storage?

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 05:29:03 am »
Well I don't know if using storage to teleporting your own items is actually an exploit because I don't know if it's a bug. RP wise you could say Harnquist sent the items to Jirosh, he did a frighting work for you or some other reason.

And no you can't send to others using storage. Sending to others is probably more of an RP role to do, the devs left it out to up the RP (I think) but I wouldn't trust any player to deliver a set of 300Q swords from Hydlaa to someone in Ojaveda.

But you have a nice idea going.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 06:09:27 am »
Irunor Selora is Royal Messenger of House Purrty. And he certainly met other messengers too.

There is even at least one NPC messenger on or near the plaza.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:10:30 am »
I wouldn't mind seeing a postal service someday in the future.  It would be nice to be able to leave short messages for people, using books for things that aren't urgent. Groffel/yulbar tells would still be the best for more pressing needs, but leaving someone a card, or a note could be nice. 
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:49:28 am »
It is similar to the newspaper guilds: Many were founded... but only few persist. Only players with endurance and efforts can make them successful.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:07:13 am »
What I mean is a more thorough NPC based service, with real messengers traveling around (though that's optional). And some kind of mailbox functionality, where one can check for incoming mail (letters at least. Packages may be another story). It's just another alternative method of communication, and it should add more fun to the RP.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:08:32 am »
There is even at least one NPC messenger on or near the plaza.

But you can't actually use them to send messages to any random person, don't you?

It is similar to the newspaper guilds: Many were founded... but only few persist. Only players with endurance and efforts can make them successful.
If it's automatic, it will persist ;)

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 03:07:27 pm »
Extending this wish request, postal service can also offer delivering items. Imagine a case where one player needs to transfer something to another, but they aren't both on-line. Having some shared storage / delivery mechanism can solve this.

Example scenario:

Character A leaves an object for character B with the storage / courier NPC.
Character A logs out.
Character B logs in, and gets a message (with a groffel): “you have a package waiting”.
Character B picks up the package from the storage / courier and gets notified who sent it.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 11:15:20 pm »
This sounds like a very good idea to me.

- Nova