Author Topic: Expanding canon  (Read 555 times)

Grigori

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Expanding canon
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:30:52 pm »
Hello everyone.
I am one of those who has been in Yliakum for few years and for that years we all have seen little of story change. New locations, new NPCs, few new quests, but "canon" for RP is still the same. I am not here to find out who is guilty, but what to do to change it.
Let's examine, what is canon:
1) Information on planeshift site: history, races, etc. Oh, it hasn't been changed since Talad knows when.
2) Character creation hints. The same.
3) NPC quests. Some new quests were added to let us see ordinary life of people of Yliakum. That's great stuff, great stuff. But is it possible to fulfill all the quests? I mean, should one AVOID roleplaying before he/she/kra learns how to do it by quest solving?
4) Books inside game. Amazing, they haven't been changed for years too! I remember Knowledge Seekers announced they would publish some books from volunteers to the library, but in fact none was added.

All of it (1-4) can be changed by devs only. And they do it sloooowly. :(

We should find new (or maybe old) ways of
1) creating semi-canon info.
2) testifying it. We shall decide whether or not it corresponds to canon and other semi-canon.
3) forcing devs to add it to canon :D
4) advertising that info to people to convince them to roleplay it.

And for that tasks are there any suggestions?

Camazotz

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding canon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:19 pm »
But HOW?

We can't blackmail them, I certainly will not sink to bribing them and obviously the prospect of asking them goes without saying.

=3
It's a well known fact that black cloaks are warmer than anything else.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:03:09 pm »
4) The Knowledge Seekers reviewed a few dozen submissions. Then there was this ... uhm, difference among several people, especially in relation to the settings department - along with some personal insulting. Many of the developers and game masters related to this deal and the "Octarchal Society for Progress" (Dajoji, Semutara, Rizin) disappeared. At the moment, weltall and drJack are trying to get some progress back into this project. But I am still not certain who is waiting for whom...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Grigori

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:37 pm »
Speaking about books:
As for Knowledge Seekers' books, it is sad such initiative doesn't work.
But speaking about books, can we by books expand canon + semi-canon if we cannot add books to the library? Many try to write books inside PS and sell them (sometimes giving for free).
There problems they meet are:
a) only author can copy book. For that he/she/kra must save it to file and load file to empty book. If you are not the author you cannot save book text to a file.
b) it is difficult to spread your book, as probably nobody will help you to spread it, and while you are online, you could give it to really few people.
c) for most books quality is really low. No, seriously, I don't want to offense the public, but it is so. Most books are written in bad English, or they are not interesting (biography of your character is not others want to read unless your are REALLY famous :D), or they are against the canon. Strange thing is the same is true for newspapers. I remember only one really good one - the Herald.

We have wiki on ezpcusa, but few visit it or even know it exists :) In fact it has interesting language projects, that are already implemented in the community. Words "dovoy" or "kga" can be heard often nowadays. But that's all.
On forum, where there are lots of players and devs, we have fanfiics of poor quality.

How could we start the process of constant improving of player-made books and spreading hem?

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:03:29 am »
for 1 you need to use public books. not being able to save is a protection for the author. they can always send you the text in another way if they want you to be able to copy them

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:18:38 am »
b) There are publishers. Ask Miadon Watec about it. And there are Book Fairs. The KS just had one at the first weekend of this year.

c) We are players. Only few enjoy foreign languages as a game, most have a hard time even mastering their native language... :P (just "would of been" as example)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty