Author Topic: Shield Designs  (Read 1444 times)

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
Re: Shield Designs
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 02:08:07 pm »
Try again.

No. Please never try again. Stay away from Photoshop. Forever.
You say its critisism,, Others say its trolling.
Its just you, randomly trying to bring this chick down, critisism, is a well thought out, combination of both good and bad aspects of somthing sombody has done.Along with a thought out way of improvment.
What you stated there, was not critisism, it doesnt even deserve to be called rhino shi*
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 02:24:16 pm »
"a garish iron shield, festooned with small steel rivets and containing a blindingly bright circular pattern"

The only only statement made thus far in this thread that I can accept as an actual critique. Thank you Rinenud.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 02:42:46 pm »
Do not be happy about receiving critique from a troll (Rinenud).My personal opinion is that the idea is nice but it was implented poorly.

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 03:02:22 pm »
This thread is funny, someone made something not so good visually and here we got flamewars already. Its like some old western where someone hits someone else in a saloon and everyone starts fighting within seconds. Take it to kada el's!  :thumbup:

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 03:23:49 pm »
Aramara:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2jbzoyNhk

An in game description would be the best you could use here. Some shields in game are good-looking (for example, the golden shield). A buckler isn't how you think it is, but a small round piece of wood covered by leather with a steel/bronze/iron dome on the center. A small round shield used to be that, round, with some edging around it, and maybe some bands to reinforce it. Some could even engrave magical runes or names, or enemies they've defeated with the help of that shield.

In the medieval times, though, shields didn't use to be round except cheap shields. I'm sure you've seen those kite shields as they're called (which would be valiant and wooden and metal shields in game, even though these are perhaps too rough). Also, the pattern you've used for that small round shield would've been pretty difficult for a blacksmith to achieve without the use of perforation and cut tools, which are relatively modern items. Such a shield, if crafted, would've been worth a lot of money.

And as for the art… *big sigh*:

The colors and gradients are "horribru!". Really. I'm not saying you have no taste, I'm just saying that you could've done it far better than that. Plainly, it hurts my eyes. Make the color gradients richer, with more reflections and shadows. Use the central and linear gradients. Also, the burn and dodge tools, when used on a duplicate layers, might help you to achieve the shadows and higlights you desire, but be careful. There are also the lighting effects, and play with the layer modes. And please, please, PLEASE, save your works in PNG format.

* MishkaL1138 blushes a bit and looks down "But, em, you know… whatever you want to do to it is fine…"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:46:06 pm by MishkaL1138 »

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 04:03:01 pm »
Look. Shhhhhh. Shhh. Shhh. It's ok, look.

I get it. We are all little flecks of light clawing for the chance to grab each other's attention, for a chance to look into each other's eyes. It's ok, you don't have to be belligerent about it. I will let you look into my eyes.

I thank you for your remarks, all, for through them I can see the effectiveness of my work.

Picture you are an ulber, stumbling through the grasses of the wilderness with not much on your mind, when suddenly, a flash of light, a beam of dissonant frequencies. You are blinded, startled, pain in your pea-sized brain. Unable to weigh any other options, you charge forward to the source of discomfort, fangs and claws bared, snarling, lashing forth. You reach your target and what are you confronted with? A garish iron shield, festooned with small steel rivets and containing a blindingly bright circular pattern. This enrages you! Oh, you can't stand it! What sick and twisted mind could create such a foul horror! Danger! Danger!

You flail your claws and teeth about, only to be met with a hard resistance. Suddelny a piercing pain in your side. You yowl in agony and glance at the wound, but where did it come from? You look about for your target, but what do you see? A garish iron shield, festooned with small steel rivets and containing a blindingly bright circular pattern.

Fail to see the metaphor? The walrus is Paul.

What is the one thing you want to bring attention to in combat? Your shield. That is its function. To draw attention away from your main force, so you may strike when your enemy is not looking. Don't you want your shield to blind your opponent? Don't you want to enrage them with its audacity that it becomes the only thing they can focus on? A shield can take a hit, your face can't. These are the shields I offer to you. I will be selling them at the Amdeneir Fair.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 06:46:38 am »
Just try to put some effort into it Aramara. And if you want to get acquainted with Photoshop read some tutorials. Mishka's post is spot on.
If you don't, I suggest you stick to describing the thing in words, you might even get someone else to make a design for it if you ask nicely.
"A new day will come when those who rudely interrupt are swept away!" -Lereal

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 06:59:17 am »
It was fine until Catlemur entered. Now it is less a Western and more a Greek tragedy.

Awaiting further critiques.
Thanks for spreading my fame in your signature.Proof that you are a troll: http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=39653.0

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 07:08:07 am »
Catlemur, I'll simplify it for you:

:offtopic: may lead to  :ban:

Stop it, because if Aramara doesn't, I will ask neko myself to delete some replies here.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Caym

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 01:59:20 pm »
(yes I'm aware the we just passed through the Solstice, which technically means that the days directly ahead of us will contain less and less hours of sunlight, but you get my drift.)

Winter is coming.

:|
"Proclaiming I am thine trollop, 'tis not even a jest, 'tis but the truth." - Jekkar

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 02:16:52 pm »
Danger! Danger!

HIGH VOLTAGE!

Sorry couldn't help it, E6 ftw.  Anyways the idea itself was good but as you can see from the massive atomic war going on in here the implementation wasn't. Maybe tone down the brightness? The thing is blindingly bright (even if it's supposed to be that way, you could just say it's shiny as hell and tone down the light!)