Author Topic: Intolerable tutorial  (Read 561 times)

Alfonz Leduk

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Intolerable tutorial
« on: July 09, 2011, 12:15:46 am »
Thought I'd check in on PlaneShift, heard there were a lot of additions and modifications.  Finally get it downloaded and installed and working (first install the graphics didn't work, blame old vendor locked drivers on the box), and then I'm greeted once again with the tutorial of doom.  I simply am unable to complete this tutorial.  I'm unable to start it.  It is simply too offensive.  It's like doing homework.  It's like being a monkey dressed in a tutu for some NPC's amusement.  I've played a fair number of other MMORPGs, and the tutorials were painless and often not mandatory - PlaneShift's tutorial is neither.  I would literally pay someone to make an account for me and go through the tutorial before I would do it myself.  What on earth are you thinking?  I understand this game is your baby and you keep a tight rein on it all and you have your ideas about what people should do and all that, BUT DEAR LORD IN HEAVEN, WHY, WHY, WHY WOULD YOU MAKE A PERSON GO THROUGH THAT.  Do you know why there are so many complaints on this forum about the tutorial?  It's not because people are crazy and you are right and they are wrong, it's because IT'S AWFUL.  It really is.  It's awful.  It's awful.  It's awful.  And it's really too bad because the game is quite good, and has such infinite potential to be even better, better than anything.  But the first thing you do is make people do homework, even people who've already played it in the past. <shakes head> I wish I could play the game.

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Intolerable tutorial
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 12:26:05 am »
You can skip the tutorial, it's not mandatory. Just talk to the winged guy (Klyros) at the door near your startpoint.

Ingles

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 02:46:54 am »

I am wondering if you read anything at all in the tutorial because you say; " 'I simply am unable to start it.  It is simply too offensive.  It's like doing homework.  It's like being a monkey dressed in a tutu for some NPC's amusement.  " I've played a fair number of other MMORPGs, and the tutorials were painless and often not mandatory - PlaneShift's tutorial is neither. "

Yet the first thing that greets anyone joining the tutorial is

[NPC] Abelia Aruine says: Welcome to the PlaneShift tutorial! I'm here to guide you through how to use some basic commands like movement, the camera and others. To start talking with me come closer and right click me, and then select the mouth or talk option. In the pop up box one of the options will ask me to start the tutorial. If you prefer to not learn anything from this tutorial, you can talk to Xenak near the gate.

So kind of wondering if you missed that, then it explains why you did not get far at all, if you even bothered to go further.

In case I am completely wrong [your character if the same name as you used in here, shows that in 1h 38m 16s, you did not even get a quest, yet you did manage to get a shortsword and 3 rat eyes.] and you did manage to try even a little bit, how about, like I just did, give examples of what you thought was wrong and how it could be improved. This, after all, is friendly to player suggestions. http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?board=11.0

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 01:56:28 pm »
the tutorial can be skipped, but you won't get a shortsword and an air glyph to start out with. Also, number one questions beginners ask when they do skip the tutorial, "How do I do quests?", "How do I fight?", "How do I train?", "How do I use magic?", "What's RP?"

Hey, guess what the tutorial teaches you.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 02:47:49 pm »
The tutorial teaches all those things except how to traina  skill, I always have to explain to people Green+Red means use the skill Yello+Blue means train it.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?