Author Topic: Art...sort of  (Read 22367 times)

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Art...sort of
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2012, 06:20:12 pm »
Maybe this page helps?

Looks good :)

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2012, 06:55:09 pm »
You can take a tortillon and go over anything sketched to smooth the shading and lines.  HOWEVER... 1. they cost money, however little. 2. they can be tricky to find, depending on what stores you have nearby. and 3. it's cheaper to just take a scrap of paper, and start folding it like you would make a paper airplane, and keep folding it over and over until you get a very narrow point/concentrated bit of paper.  What you really need is a point that has some manner of substance to it, so you can apply a bit of pressure. 

It can take a little getting used to, but if you work on the principle of "less = more" then you'll do just fine with it.  Start off with keeping the most graphite/lead/charcoal nearer to the outer/darker areas, and begin blending your way in.  You can smudge the color over a pretty sizeable area, so work on applying the most color almost as an outline, and then smudging and working it inwards.  Don't make any harsh/sharp lines, and use a very light hand to put a basic layer of color down.  Sometimes, I literally only use 3-4 pencil strokes over a centimeter or so of paper, and then buff over it with paper to disperse it.  Also, after you've been using it a bit, your paper/tortillon will be "dirty" and will have the ability to transfer color without a layer of pigment already on the paper.  This can be great for medium-darkness areas, but can mess up a light area quickly.  That's another reason why I use scraps of paper, as I can change them as often as I like. 

It's also possible to use an erasing technique to leave a smooth, faded color/shading.  But that's a lot trickier to control the lines of, and after a while, will remove part of the paper.  I don't recommend it unless you're positively desperate to remove color from something. 

Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #287 on: July 10, 2012, 06:59:26 pm »
You're so awesome  :love:
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2012, 01:15:49 am »
Can't win a beauty pagent? Girl please. You make this look good.

(Again the shadery comes out not like I'd prefer, I've got to find a way to take these pictures without diminishing horribly all the shadery. Did this keep me up hours past my bedtime? Yes, yes it did. THANKS FOR THE SHADERY ADVICE, TESHIA! Here's your reward in picture form :D)

And thank you for that website, Jilata! Very helpful indeed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:24:58 am by Mariana Xiechai »

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 11, 2012, 08:20:32 am »
 :o

Badass!!
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:59 am »
If you only have a photo camera: Have light! No lamp has the magnitude of the summer sun, regarding brightness. And only enough brightness allows cameras to take pictures with a good signal-to-noise ratio. Comparing the level of noise contrast with the level of image contrast, I can only assume that this picture has been taken at night with a desk lamp...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2012, 03:09:53 pm »
Also, if your camera has a macro-focus setting (usually denoted by a flower icon), that can help with up-close detail shots. But yeah, enhancing your ambient lighting will help a lot.  :thumbup:

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 11, 2012, 06:00:09 pm »
thanks for the tips, ya'll. I thoroughly enjoyed this whole close-up idear, so if anyone has a character drawing request for me, I'd be happy to do it. Aka, I'll take requests!

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #293 on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »
I think this might be my favorite of all the things you've done of Tesh so far.  You caught her furious disdain quite nicely.  :love:
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #294 on: July 11, 2012, 08:42:34 pm »
I have tooo many requests :p

But your wulfar = perfect. I'm so happy you drew him :)
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2012, 07:15:38 am »
thanks for the tips, ya'll. I thoroughly enjoyed this whole close-up idear, so if anyone has a character drawing request for me, I'd be happy to do it. Aka, I'll take requests!

I do as well. But no one approached me. Now I am stuck with some huge project I decided on doing because I was lacking ideas on what else to draw...

Hmm... requests... remember Jilata? It would be intreresting to see her drawn by someone else except myself :)

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 12, 2012, 07:46:46 am »
I'd enjoy seeing how you envision Timil.  :D  Or perhaps Raila/Paulandra.  :whistling:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 07:48:30 am by Timil Deeps »

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 12, 2012, 08:23:34 am »
/add to request counter.

Dunno if you ever finished that rendition of Marscapone.  :whistling:
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2012, 10:09:20 am »
Marscapone

Who? Marqsaynt as Al Capone? ;D

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable