Author Topic: Mary Sue Litmus Test  (Read 937 times)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Sue Litmus Test
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 07:53:18 am »
I can't do this test :/ I have stable and unstable characters, loyal and unfaithful, etc… I'll try with Mishka, though, will edit to post the result here.

Edit: Mish got a 29 ^^' Can't say I didn't expect it. Actually I'm disappointed I didn't get more.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:19:15 am by MishkaL1138 »

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Without imagination, we never will go anywhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 09:43:15 am »

X-/
It's just an idea, it might contain nonsense until proper sources are given.

First rule of programming: Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.

Jjairr

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • The Felines Lair
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 10:29:13 am »
Well that's funny. I posted this link too - a year and a half before Illysia xD Jjairr got a 39 when I took it that time, but somehow it dropped down to a -1. I guess Jjairr has become significantly less interesting over time. Of course that was five years ago. Maybe I've just become a better roleplayer.

I think a PS-specific Mary Sue test would be amazing.

Lilura: ralas and Jjairr  be all like "oh i was a xiosia worshiper before she existed" "rivnaks are too mainstream I ride a yulbar" "I was a nolthirir before they were green"

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 08:14:41 pm »
@Aramara: No worries, it's not like most of the people that originally saw that thread are still around to reminisce about it. ;)

@Sarras: Ok, I retook the test for Ech and got -5 which is probably about as low as any of my characters will ever get. So... *Ppbbbblllltttt* :P

@Mishka: You aren't supposed to get higher scores. :P

@Jjairr: A year and a half before that post, I was probably still sticking with the technical forums. XD I didn't read much on the forum besides bug fixing. XD And less sue doesn't mean uninteresting, just maybe not as much stuff going on. :3 However, I think a litmus test for PS would probably cause more grief than say humor or help... After all, that walks on the "good RP" -"godmodding/MarySue" border.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 08:44:49 pm »
a lower score just means your character is realistic (in a fictional setting, of course). sarras had plenty of stuff going on. but it's all believable. also, a character's strengths and weaknesses should balance out. their personality, psychology, goals, and actions should connect and actually make sense. aaand, finally, when you make a character, try to avoid stereotypes.

literally, i have already met at least 80% of your characters in other roleplaying games, movies, books, shows, etc. but it's not that bad. nearly everything's been done before.

ooook gtg

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 11:02:47 pm »
Hehehe.... Ok, I got 16 for Tesh, but if I discount some of the actions based on other characters in game, it drops to 6.

I particularly love this line:

Is your character ever manipulated or used as an unwitting pawn by someone without the aid of mind-control technology, magic, or drugs?
*With tragic results?

Seriously, these people have never heard of Travosh.

Oh they have, part of being ultrafine. I just requested to not have his likeness used, would make unusable standards.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 03:14:04 am »
@Mishka: You aren't supposed to get higher scores. :P

Then you don't know Mishka at all.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 02:36:28 pm »
PS's mary sue litmus test = mishka sue litmus test?

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 06:04:56 pm »
24 here as well, Ara. Can't say I'm terribly surprised  :P