Author Topic: Hurtfull Criticisim  (Read 794 times)

Dramborleg

• Traveller
  • Ye kin no make anyun appy. But ye kin make 'em mad
    • View Profile
Hurtfull Criticisim
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »
 :o Aye curaumba, I have noticed a lot of hurtfull criticisim.
I know am probably opening myself to abuse....but.
 Sounds like a lot of people hear woulda told Piccaso nice painting but way to much blue.
I bielieve in supporting and encoureging creativity.
 just saying :thumbdown:

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Hurtfull Criticisim
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 01:45:38 am »
Sounds like a lot of people hear woulda told Piccaso nice painting but way to much blue.

And a lot did in his time. Perseverance and self-criticism are what make an artist as opposed to an attention whore.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 02:53:13 am »
It is sad, Dramborleg, but it has been so all the time. Too much food for all the trolls out there. People demand even what they get for free.

Stop mourning the ill-bred. Get creative for the well-educated who know to value your efforts.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 08:44:31 am »
The poor in spirit will always be with us. Turn the other cheek and fart in their general direction. Seriously, who cares what jerks have to say?

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »
are you kidding? this place is nicer than deviantart. it's frickin carebearland over there.

by the way, that's called creative criticism, dramborleg. artists need it. please don't label all criticism as "hurtful", or they'll never get better. real artists love to have their work criticized. it's incredibly annoying when people only praise artwork and don't give thoughtful input.

Phage

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 08:29:04 pm »
[..]I have noticed a lot of hurtfull criticisim.[..]
Sorry Dramborleg, but begging for affirmative critics only is ridiculous. You apparently presume Picasso was complimented always only?
Since personally I think my contradiction of your claim would taint any attempted specific critics, I would rather refuse from the latter.

LigH, I dont think merely praising everything in general, just for it was posted and it was for illustrating individual PS-ideas, makes the respective novice (or say artist) improve in any way, do you? Or are you simply entertained, hence your thumps-up?
Over there, lurking from safe distance.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:23:52 am »
I don't deny criticizm in general. Criticizm is necessary to discover flaws and to improve. I just don't want the hurtful kind which became usual here (with prevailing moods like "it doesn't make sense anyway" and similar) discourage the creative people so much that they surrender and abandon their few last friends here. But that appears to be a Sisyphean task.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 03:10:19 pm »
where's the hurtful criticism you're speaking of?

jenideandre

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 03:24:09 pm »
ditto LigH.  Typically when two words are used together, one is modifying the other.  Thus, hurtful criticism means the type of criticism meant to hurt.  If Dramborleg had meant all criticism, he would have said "criticism."  Use le brains guys, come on.

Also, Sarras I guess you have a char ban not a player ban, as I saw your alt Merjer ig the other day.  Hard to stay away from Yliakum, non?  Also, if you study art with professional artists (professors and working artists) as well as reading about art, you would know that there are all kinds of artists in the world - many brilliant artists neither needed nor desired criticsim, as they self-regulated.  Many others would have been lost without it.  Better not to generalize about a group of people, displays ignorance.

Agree with Dramborleg.  And love the initial advice (especially the monty python advice).  For those who've never noticed hurtful criticism, keep calm and carry on (to another thread).

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 06:30:29 pm »
Sarras is Merjer O.o?
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 06:32:25 pm »
don't know who merjer is. i'm IP-banned from zeroping. anyway...

dramborleg has not produced any examples of hurtful criticism from this forum. this thread seemed to come out of the blue. thus, it appears he may be confusing constructive criticism with hurtful criticism.

please don't assume things, jenideandre. i don't call myself an artist. but i have studied with professional artists and have won national art medals. people like to think i'm an artist. now that you know i can back up my opinions... lol...

brilliant artists need criticism to grow. nobody starts out being the best artist in the world. it's correcting mistakes and experimenting that allows them to become better. criticism from others helps the artist recognize mistakes and form new ideas. picasso wouldn't have minded hearing there was too much blue in one of his paintings. he may have meant for there to be too much blue, so he would ignore the criticism. or perhaps he didn't realize the balance of colors was off, so he would fix it. pretty sure that in high school i did a paper on this.  X-/

here's a good example of a critique: http://browse.deviantart.com/critiques/?offset=24#/d2c4xtp

Dramborleg

• Traveller
  • Ye kin no make anyun appy. But ye kin make 'em mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 04:56:40 pm »
 Did not mean to imply all critisism is bad, when used to teach  and inspire. Art by definition inspires emotion. Was speaking of degrading and malicious crtisisim, ment only to harm and be hurtful.
 I refuse to point specific fingers. As do not wish a personal attack on others.
 Just a small plea for a little compasion and understanding.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 06:00:45 pm »
by not pointing fingers, you may be discouraging people from posting any criticism at all. they may be self-conscious that their words could be hurtful, even if they aren't. if you really think this is a problem, report the specific posts to neko. making a thread about it won't help. people who wish to cause harm won't stop if they're politely asked to.

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 06:46:26 pm »

jenideandre

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 12:35:55 am »
Love the small plea, Dramborankle.  Cheers.