Author Topic: By the Gods! ... How may they look at all?  (Read 841 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
By the Gods! ... How may they look at all?
« on: September 28, 2011, 06:57:01 am »
While playing with the Akinator I tried if he knows some elemenst from PlaneShift, and was partially gleeful, partially disappointed, that it seems not famous enough yet ... so I tried to submit Talad, Laanx, and a few races, until he was able to guess at least the right direction, so I would be able to upload an image ...

But there was none. All I found was the description in the Player Guide, in the beginning of chapter 3.4: Yliakum History.

Therefore I feel like asking the artists of the PlaneShift Community: How do you imagine our Gods of Yliakum? :detective:

But that is only a rough idea for now. There is not yet any organization of a contest, there are no prizes available, no schedule...

For now I'd like to know your opinions, and hopefully offers from the community and from the team, how to make a contest out of this vague idea, collecting pictures of
  • Talad
  • Laanx
  • Dakkru
  • Xiosia
  • Vodùl?
  • Black Flame?

I believe it would be suitable to create specific threads for each of the accepted categories to collect images and add polls after some deadline. And I hope we can finish it all before 2012, in time for 20 years of PlaneShift (including the 2D era...).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: By the Gods! ... How may they look at all?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:12:53 am »
Good point, LigH.

The first and only thing that comes to my mind is an illustration I've seen on the events pages:

Celebration of the Spirit

I don't even know if this is official game art, but I would like to see more of these.

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:15:49 pm »
I'm not skilled enough to draw the gods, but I have been writing some fanfic of them.  I'd love to see a visual of Talad and Laanx.  That's a very lovely pic of Laanx.

[And I submitted Talad to Akinator too XD]
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:34:58 pm »
Worked the Akinator with a few characters, and the deities.  Very funny little program.  ;D
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Onilise

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Onilise.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:24:22 pm »
hmmmmmm.... awesome idea!! If there's a contest to draw them, I'm in!  \\o//

Never trust a unicorn fish.

miomo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 03:28:00 pm »
How apropos, I'm currently working on a stylized version of Dakkru. Think Hindu Gods. If I can actually pull it off I hope to draw the others as well.
Miomai is currently sane.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »
I went to that link ligh put on there, and tested myself if he knew planeshift, tried to make the computer think of talad, but he thought of the plumber from ratchet and clank, wonder if they are really related ;)
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

ncfbn

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 04:56:23 am »
I went to that link ligh put on there, and tested myself if he knew planeshift, tried to make the computer think of talad, but he thought of the plumber from ratchet and clank, wonder if they are really related ;)

I would have guessed a different plumber, possibly one who wears all red and shoots fireballs... :whistling:

Oh wait...the other Talad.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 06:19:21 am »
Shush, the Akinator was just a remark. — And you can allow him to continue 2 more times before he gives up.

The topic here is: "How do you imagine the Gods?" ... and "Who would help me making a contest?"

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Jilata

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 08:14:38 am »
Being able to imagine a god is not only restricted to those who can draw... so I think it could be interesting if other write descriptions on how they imagine them and let those draw who want to draw them

If you really want to make a contest with it, why not one with a description and a drawing one, and one based on the description?

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 08:41:03 am »
These are merely constricted glimpses of the Gods, of course. No insult, only praise is meant through their diminished presence.

Xiosia

Vodul

Dakkru

Laanx

The Black Flame

Talad

Xiosia
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:39 am »
@ Jilata:

Certainly a good point. Talad and Laanx were described in the Settings, but e.g. Dakkru and Xiosia are still quite freely imaginable. Except I missed other sources...

@ Aramara:

We are not yet close to showing images; and with such a large number of large images, it might be better to prefer thumbnails or text links only, or this thread may become heavy to load and hard to read...

But apart from that, using abstract elements is indeed a valid kind of interpretation.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

miomo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:16:40 am »
Dakkru is described in a book in the D.R. library. It is not how I imagine her, however, because she appears like the Goddess of Christmas in her cloak of ruby, emerald, and diamond shards.

Aramara, your artwork grows on me.
Miomai is currently sane.

Onilise

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Onilise.com
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:10:52 pm »
Love those Aramara !!!  \\o//

Never trust a unicorn fish.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 02:58:18 pm »
Aramara, your artwork grows on me.

like bacteria!
all blessings to the assembled devotees.