Author Topic: Notice of picking up items.  (Read 690 times)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Notice of picking up items.
« on: October 27, 2011, 09:29:36 pm »
Just as there is a notice that so and so drops an item, it would be nice if there were a notice that so and so picked up an item. For those that have no use for it, perhaps, it could be a configurable thing in the log settings.

My character was left sitting in the Gugrontid temple to see who was clearing the altar off each day and they were able to come into the temple and with her sitting there take everything off the altar that was not guarded. With my wish installed that would not have been possible and seems a lot more realistic to me than their cloak of invisibility.

- Nova

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Notice of picking up items.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 10:39:25 pm »
maybe it was Talad.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:58:58 am »
If you wish to have items on the altar protected, you should ask Game Masters to lock them.

But there seems to be another issue with picking, there used to be a system message recording the pickup as well as the drop, but this message seems not to appear anymore. I'll try to report this in the bugtracker, using system log files.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Soloyos

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Guardian-Bloodstone Brethren&Partner-Hydlaa Museum
    • View Profile
    • Bloodstone Brethren
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 02:49:26 am »
I dont like the idea of a message appearing if someone picks up an item. It means people can see who takes something if maybe they are Rping they are stealing it and no one notices. I know it will be an OOC piece of information but many people might use it as Rp reasons and state they saw said person take such item.

Maybe the person picking up the item can diecide if the people near by him see this msg, this means it could be taken off for people wanting to remain in the shadows.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 03:10:28 am »
I see this message as an important part of OOC security. There are often unexperienced players who pick up whatever is pickable. If you can't read back who picked a possibly valuable item, it is not possible to ask the player (or even a Game Master) to return it.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Soloyos

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Guardian-Bloodstone Brethren&Partner-Hydlaa Museum
    • View Profile
    • Bloodstone Brethren
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:22:41 am »
I see this message as an important part of OOC security. There are often unexperienced players who pick up whatever is pickable. If you can't read back who picked a possibly valuable item, it is not possible to ask the player (or even a Game Master) to return it.

Why would you put a valuble item on the floor unguarded? but yes i agree with that point, but the pickup logs are logged already, as weltall has used them before whent he tables in the courthouse got taken. So the devs can view information like that meaning players dont need to.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:29:07 am »
The guarding range can be surprisingly short. Recently I did screenshots for translucent crystals, and moved just outside the picking range to place the camera well. Only a few minutes of fiddling in a painting tool, and they were taken. Without any notice who did. Fortunately it were just 3 crystals.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 07:00:14 am »
If you wish to have items on the altar protected, you should ask Game Masters to lock them.

My priest character promotes the theme of temple offerings as give without attachment and take according to need. So locking is not desired on my part.

If the alert were to show a noob clearing things out then a simple OOC chat with the player explaining that and offering tria if that is what they are in need of would do. If it is a malicious RP by a more experienced player then at least they could be tracked OOC so that counter RP measures could be taken within the monitored playing times of the offending character.

But there seems to be another issue with picking, there used to be a system message recording the pickup as well as the drop, but this message seems not to appear anymore. I'll try to report this in the bugtracker, using system log files.

If that could be reinstated then my wish would be granted.

- Nova

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 07:41:28 am »
Just tested: Only the active char can see drop and pickup messages, but no bystanders.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 04:01:39 am »
This issue is interesting for me, as I am planning to host a game where pickup messages will be important for the arbiter to prevent cheating. On the market yesterday, I did get "pickup" messages from players clearing up their shops, so I wonder if this is on the client side (that was 0.5.7.1).

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:06 am »
Tested with weltall again; this time we saw everything. Strange. As if only specific packets got lost, but regularly for both of Evaraj and me? When I tested it with Evaraj, we both did not notice the drop and pick messages of the other one.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 06:34:11 am »
bonifarzia notice you can see them only on a 5mt range from the player doing the action (not the item)

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 07:29:09 am »
Thanks for the clue, Weltall. So my arbiters will have to run and keep up with the players.
On the other hand, 5 length units seems a bit short compared to the range for picking up items.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:23 am »
bonifarzia notice you can see them only on a 5mt range from the player doing the action (not the item)

Thanks for clarifying that Weltall. That will probably do for my needs with better positioning of my character.

- Nova

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 09:41:00 am »
it's the same distance of picking up 5 mt for both