Author Topic: Becoming the Masque[Comments]  (Read 2684 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Becoming the Masque[Comments]
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:02:35 pm »
Here is the thread for leaving comments on the Becoming the Masque event. Feel free to leave suggestions, praise, or concerns.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 12:50:14 pm by Illysia »

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming the Masque[Comments]
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »
Looks promising!
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 12:35:56 pm »
Ex-cited!Ex-cited!Ex-cited!Ex-cited!Ex-cited!Ex-cited!Ex-cited!
Thanks LigH!

I can't wait!  \\o//
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:27:31 am by Zalya »
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 02:02:11 am »
neat

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:12:02 am »
Looks like fun!

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:23:52 am »
I'm glad everyone is looking forward to this. Thank you to everyone that has volunteered to help so far.

And why is it always LigH that corrects everybody's grammar and spelling?  :P

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:46:57 am »
And why is it always LigH that corrects everybody's grammar and spelling?  :P

It was LigH because I didn't see it first ;P

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:27:34 pm »
A few OOC comments about the suggestions we got so far. First off, a big thanks to all the people submitting suggestions. They are really appreciated..keep them coming.

There should be food and plenty of it. Quantity AND quality, from all over Yliakum.
Yeah...I must manage to get out of Kada El's with my char one time and try to find some cooks in game for this. ;) We will of course try to do this.

Music would be nice.
Same as above...need to get in contact with more musicians in game. And I personally would really like to have some musicians describing their music in chat with /me. The new instrument system is maybe nice...but a lot people like me play without sound and it's very hard to fill a longer time with that music without repeating it over and over again. But that is up to on which musicians we can get our hands on.

Dancing would be nice.
Not much we can do there. Of course we will have an area for dancing..but other than providing a place for dancing and the necessary music we can't do much. Up to the players if they want to take that chance. The one thing I learned from the Den events is that no matter what you offer...people will always do something completely different than you expected.

Singing would be nice.
Haven't thought of that. But sure...if we find someone up for singing in game I see no reason why not. Depends again on if we find some player doing it.

A contest for which male and which female wore the best, most creative mask.
Good idea...will look into that one. Just don't expect any big prizes. I'm not up for rewarding RP in a RP game. This is no GM event where only the reward matters. Some small, more symbolic prizes are a lot better in my view.

A theatrical performance would be most satisfactory.
Here I have to say no. Not because I wouldn't like it but because I know from the theater event in the Den how much work this is. Sorry, simply no way we can do that additional work ourselves. So...if a group of players is up for preparing something there we would love to have them perform at the ball. But we can't prepare it ourselves.

For precaution's sake and the safety of the guests: Guards
Of course! Though I have to deal out the details with my "boss" first. Seems we have slightly different opinions on that topic.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming the Masque[Comments] - How People Can Help
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:21:19 pm »
Ok, a few people have asked what they can do to help at the ball ICly, so here is a list of things I could use from the player base to help support the ball

• Serve food or come up with unique dishes to offer. *
  • Serve drinks or come up with unique drinks (mixed drinks) to offer.*
  • Play music, either using the new music mechanics or using RP.**
  • Sell souvenirs, ball related trinkets, or other related good.  Send a PM if you'd like to do this but don't know what kind of things to sell.***
  • Sing songs, you can either RP the act of singing or actually write out a song to be sung**
  • Hold classes for things like dancing, acting in costume, etc...
  • Do arts and crafts and present them in the ball area*
  • Use the ball area as an RP meet up spot. If RPers looking for RP know they can find other RPers in that spot, it will make it easier for people looking for others to meet up.
  • tell stories in the ball area**
  • hold various performances in the ball area. Showcase the talent of Hydlaa
  • volunteer to guard the area for the ball****
  • run games in the area.*****

* Books can be used to both name and write a description of your unique item. Never underestimate how much other players can imagine and how much good you can do by putting a little creativity into making a unique item. ;)

** You can describe the tempo of the music or song, the behavior of your character while performing or telling the story and can also emote how you are singing. If the song or story is long, use shortcuts to help you keep everything going at a reasonable pace.

*** Merchants of various kinds are welcome at this event. Eventually we will have an area set up specifically for vendors. Merchants selling stuff somehow related to the event are preferred. Again, books are good for creating your own unique items for sale.

**** I am not inclined to have player guards off hand, but we'll see. My biggest concern is that I don't want people killed at this event. Death RPs get sticky, can provide a lot of head hurt and would interfere with players be around for and participating in the actual ball.

***** Gambling games have been the most popular in the past but games using dice are by no means the only kinda of games you can run. You can also assign numbers to cards and play that way or you can just play the game without betting. You can use books or even maps to create board games or game boards for various games. For an example of an alternate type of game board, look for the Tavern Toss game in the Stonehead Tavern.

If you want to participate but still need a push in the right direction, just PM me on the forum or query me in IRC and I'll try find something that your character can do to help. :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:22:40 pm by Illysia »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming the Masque[Event]
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 04:36:30 am »
To be true ... placing it in 'hydlaa_plaza' will keep several people away from it. The new map is so hardware demanding, it will hardly allow people to turn around without lagging due to harddisk activities.

Please consider a place on a different, smaller map with less details ... like, maybe, the backyard of the House Purrty, would this be too small? Or the East gate place?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming the Masque[Comments] - Need to move the location?
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 10:00:19 am »
Ok, LigH has brought up a very valid point. The new plaza is much laggier than it used to be and my original plans were made for the pre update map. Do most people have too much trouble as it is walking through the plaza? There will be decorations for the ball which could make it a no go if the plaza is already lagging you right out of the game.

Please leave a response here or send a PM. If I get enough responses that the plaza is too laggy, I will consider other areas.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Becoming the Masque[Comments] - Need to move the location?
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 12:22:59 pm »
Do most people have too much trouble as it is walking through the plaza?

After just having completed a tour of Hydlaa with the new 5.8.1 version; as well as having a very low tech machine; my observations were that it is very laggy at full graphics yet after going to low settings with Textures, Shader and Background loading turned off things were pretty smooth. The graphics was still rather nice as well.

You may want to give an OOC warning in your Ball adverts suggesting lowering of graphics settings if attending with old hardware.

- Nova

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 07:54:46 am »
I find the new hydla map to be seriously problematic - most likey because of low system requirements on my side.... Honestly I'm not really sure what the issue is. Anyhow, I'll most likely find a way to interact without being in hydlaa.... Perhaps interacting indirectly?

It might be useful to make a poll to get a feel for how many people find the new map to be playable. Regardless of who's fault it is, my machine will get 30-40 fps in hydlaa at times and at other times, siezes up so badly that I need to reboot(thrashing/swapping).

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 10:11:12 am »
it means your pc lacks ram. reduce the texture quality

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 10:40:17 am »
( Despite lowering it in pslaunch, it keeps getting forced to high )