Author Topic: Avoiding the superman syndrome by stat rank capping  (Read 1680 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding the superman syndrome by stat rank capping
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 02:53:54 am »
In addition, I believe that the ability to maximize all skills without disadvantages supports the separation between casual and "permanent" players. If half of the characters are perfect, the other half becomes useless, if you rate them by skill values only.

I don't want to be sorry about being employed and having less time to invest in skill training than other players. I want to enjoy playing the game as much. For me as casual player, it means that I should be satisfied with average skills, and I hope that roleplaying won't be seen as the only excuse for a lack of training, but that skills will develop in a way that even characters with average skill levels will be useful regarding the game mechanics. I believe that metallurgy already uses such a concept, that higher levels won't produce basic goods anymore...

Specialization supports the diversity of the player base and the interaction. The differences between the characters make them interesting. If everyone can be perfect, then it doesn't matter who I play with.

The little use of EZPCUSA seems to support the opinion that there was little interest in rating skills higher than friends to play with.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

thalaric

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 05:28:56 am »
LigH, that's the interesting part of it. The max everything approach changes all character interactions from professional relationships into those more resembling lord/serf. A brand new mage just out of the academy who meets an accomplished wizard would naturally assume a subservient attitude. That's not necessarily true of persons with different trades. For example, if a low level fighter interacts with a higher level wizard, he should be given some kind of professional courtesy. It's certain that even a low level warrior is better at martial combat than the wizard. The same is true of smiths, miners, leatherworkers, etc. In PS not only is it not certain, it's almost certainly the opposite. So anyone you meet falls into two categories: more powerful, or weaker. When you're a newb you'll aways be the serf, which can be demoralizing but if you stick with it eventually you'll always get to be the lord.

bilbous

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 09:12:48 am »
Why do people care about this so much? I don't care if you have vastly more skill than me in any measurable way. Many characters do. I don't slight you because you are completely untrained in everything, many characters including my own are. All I care about is making my own way through the hoops laid out before me by the developers.

David got off a lucky shot on Goliath and they made him king, did that make him a better person? I don't think so. The game metrics are an entirely OOC system to provide the mechanics. Why sweat the small stuff?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2012, 01:59:23 pm »
True. Roleplayed battles can be fun too, and the biggest challenge is to lose gracefully. :)

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

bilbous

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2012, 02:48:13 pm »
I don't know about you but I've had one real life fight in the last 15-20 years and it didn't last very long. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I never fought another character again in the game.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 03:33:13 pm »
I don't expect you to enjoy a battle.

And I hope you won't judge bad what you didn't try.

Some may enjoy it. Allow them to.

Long ago, we had duelling points. They have been removed for a good reason.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

bilbous

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 04:50:20 pm »
Ya I went negative pretty quick back then.

Whatever floats peoples boats is tide into this discussion. :)

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 12:44:21 am »

Very glad to see the point system removed. All that contributed to was OOC grinding of duel points, and the encouragement of noob-killing.  :thumbdown:
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »

Very glad to see the point system removed. All that contributed to was OOC grinding of duel points, and the encouragement of noob-killing.  :thumbdown:

Can't say that if those were still around I might be plagued by urges to say... incinerate random nublets by the Lava Pit-load.

ether

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 09:20:51 pm »
Alright, I know the topic's been kind of dead for a bit but I just read through it and feel like this might be a good place to propose an idea that might satisfy a lot of the 'problems' I've read.  Thalaric's summary post that pointed out the circular nature of the argument and pretty much killed all progressive discussion is a really good place to start.

Historically, it goes like this: (A) "There should be restrictions on training", (B) "No there shouldn't because of such and such real life example" (A) "Actually, real life doesn't work like that" (C who agrees with B) "But This Isn't Real Life". This circular logic has dictated the pace of the discussion for the last three pages.

So here's the core of the issue: In addition to not being an accurate model, maxing many unrelated abilities *limits gameplay*.

Here's how and why:
The top of character progression is a character with all abilities maxed
Thus, sense of accomplishment is skewed towards that character progression
Thus, anyone who intends to keep playing will have the same goals and motivation
Thus, in-game characters are extremely similar, meaning they act the same, have [many|all] occupations, and their stats don't denote relative meaning
Thus, characters don't need anyone else since they are equally skilled in everything as all others of their pp/tria level (no niches)

To be fair, I'd like to draw a line here between "stats" and "abilities", and assume that Thalaric was referring to the former, whereas stats are the numeric values assigned to skill ranks; your strength, your blacksmithing, your crystal way skill are measured by stats.  Abilities are actions your character is capable of performing; in its current form, Planeshift really only offers magic spells as its abilities - maybe (hopefully) these will also include specific types of melee strikes or defensive manuevers, even magically-enhanced attacks.  Anyway, a distinction should be made here.

It should also be pointed out that, while we as PCs ARE Yliakum, our characters were set into the place not while it was being created, but long after it already had an established society.  It's already been suggested that a player must choose ONE Way via a certain quest, and while not actually established as a game mechanic just yet, it hints that once your character chooses and pursues a certain Way, that's it.  No other Circle will train you.  You're cut off from all but the most basic understanding of that magic.  Yliakum's society, as it is built now, is competitive, but cooperative and community-minded.  It would be extremely difficult for a character to have any close relationship with a person or group without other people figuring out pretty quickly, so sneaking in and pretending to be part of two different Circles would quickly be discovered.

What's wrong with this system?  Yes, you can still max the stats and skills for other Ways, but as for being truly adept at it, obtaining its abilities, no - not because you're not ABLE, but because the SOCIAL LORE of Yliakum prevents it.  Here we have a seamless lore-driven restriction that still allows for character progression.  All citizens of Yliakum are required by law to receive weapons training, so it's not a hard thought to swallow that someone could be adept at combat and magic, or any combination thereof.

Could we carry this into crafting?  Perhaps there's crafters guilds, one for armor, one for weapons, one for alchemy, an artist's guild, whatever, the list can go on.  Everyone can learn the basics and max the skills and stats and continue to produce not just basic, but good and useful items, but perhaps only weapons guildmembers could enchant a sword, given the secret knowledge of the guild.  Or, another good idea, items can only be enchanted by using a special wand, which only responds to the person it is bound to by some sort of spell.  Master weaponcrafters will have a weaponcrafter's wand bound to them in some ritual or some such that only they can use to perform enchantments.  You could go so far as to assign specific enchantments different Way alignments, so that only enchanters that follow certain Ways can perform certain enchantments.  Or not.

Anyway, my point here is that if we limit abilities, we don't have to limit stats, and we can avoid that "Thus, in-game characters are extremely similar, meaning they act the same, have [many|all] occupations, and their stats don't denote relative meaning" part.
We can also avoid the RP vs. not-RP arguement by making the system a logical part of the setting and completely overriding it, making it both a game mechanic AND an immersive reflection of the game world.  This is actually how many other MUDs do it.

Point is:
By implementing a REAL, lore-driven restriction on character abilities in the Ways, and giving more definition to the Ways and how they work in game-mechanic combat, we can build PCs that are equally powerful and important, and can fulfill different roles in a larger setting without overly limiting their capabilities or hindering their stat and skill building.  This can probably be carried over to gathering, crafting, melee combat techniques, you name it.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 12:27:09 am »
+1

Excellent ideas.  I really like the idea of quest decisions actually having consequences.  Real, big consequences.  Like members of some circles won't train you or give you quests.  Or members of this faction won't associate with you if you do something terrible to one of their members.

It kinda reminds me of the game Morrowind (the prequel to the prequel to Skyrim) where the Theives Guild and the Fighters Guild were hostile toward each other, and doing certain quests for the Fighters Guild would make the Theives Guild not even allow you to join. There were also three warring Great Houses and you could only pick one to join.

I think it would be really cool to implement something similar.  Factions having relationships with one another (good or bad), and building positive relationships with one faction having effects on your ability to interact with another.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

raline

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2012, 12:43:29 am »
It is possible to have a permanent negative faction rating with Concave of Glyphs (doing so also increases your rating with Laanx)

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2012, 03:08:04 am »
To tman: Big consequences of quests can extremely dangerous. You can ruin your carefully built character in one blow. Not so nice.

Still, any means to achieve a more distinguished character development is highly desirable.
Glad to meet you :)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:22 am »
To tman: Big consequences of quests can extremely dangerous. You can ruin your carefully built character in one blow. Not so nice.

Obviously any quest that can damage your reputation with another group would have to have a big fat warning before you accept it.  Like "If you do this, that group of people probably won't want anything to do with you anymore.  Make sure you're ready for the commitment."  Or something.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:41 pm »
Ima throw in my five cents, towards the original post, there should be no cap, its an RP game, We all have the right to train whatever stats/skills we want, however that does not have to mean it is IC'ly part of the character, you can max every type of combat skill in the game, and still RP that you are only a sword master, if sombody wants you to duel them with axes, but your character is supposed to be weak with them, use a text duel, there is no reason to limit what we can do mechanical-wise, when everything relivant to the character, can be done through text, thats the whole point of RP isnt it?
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?