Author Topic: pvp ad combat system  (Read 317 times)

y1n

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
pvp ad combat system
« on: June 03, 2003, 09:31:02 am »
Q:what will the combat system look like?!?!
Q:how can you guyz make a combat systems using key baord keys half the common keys are used for walking and etc...

idea...i hope the combat system is not like diablo/ultima one of those click and kill type
i was hope a realistic type like one that involes skills like key board skills and timing of a attack/spell and aim etc
like for melee a good example is counter strike when fighting in a dagger match u need timing and movement skills for melee attack speed and automactic dodge depend on agi but u can also manually dodge with side stepping or jump back when another one character charge you with a deadly strike and that way it will balance the ownage for  archers and mages since u have a chance to dodge there spells and arrows depending on your instant and reflexes and skills making gameplay realistic such a combat system would be good for plane shift because planeshift game play makes you feel as if you are in the game.

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 10:06:53 am »
the combat system is described on http://www.planeshift.it
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln

DizzleCorinthos

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 10:08:39 am »
Implementing a system where timing is a key factor in combat is hard to do.  I would think it is worth while, as most combat in this genre is just plain boring.  Take it up to almost an FPS level I say.  I highly doubt that will happen though.  

If timing in combat is too difficult to do, could a triggered chain event system happen?  Based on the level of the combat skills of a character and depending on actions they took.

If a fighter excutes standard attack, then executes special attacks for a jab, then a slash, then a thrust, the system could roll, say a d100, in the background with getting under the combat skill as the goal.  If the check succeeds, a special option lights up and is usuable for 20-30 seconds.  It could be a battlerage, a series of attacks, a speed boost, etc etc.   I think it would make combat a bit more interesting.

Thanks for reading!
DizzleCorinthos, Jragi - Planeshift

\"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.\"

LordSpyder

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 01:31:48 pm »
i personaly would like to see a combat system like PSO where there are combos and such, but not like fighting game combo\'s but combos based on timing, you go to fast and it doesn\'t work, you go too slow and it doesn\'t work
a combat system like this would make it less of a button masher because you have to think about the combo you want to do then get the timing right.
Knights of the Order
http://www.kotoguild.tk

DizzleCorinthos

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 02:33:43 pm »
Hitting buttons with timing is just so.... Nintendo to me.   If I wanted to hit buttons at the right time, I would go play Parappa.

Combos are great, but they should be done based on the order of your actions, or possibly what skills others in your group have.  Set up nice combos where say a fighter type and a mage type combine their skills into a combo.  Could be fun.

\"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.\"

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 03:23:21 pm »
I?d answer the what will pvp be like?except here is the wrong place for it, and it is not finalized, I doubt it will be finalized untill the game is way into full production?.and that is way off.
-Paxx

LordSpyder

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 04:23:02 pm »
Originally posted by DizzleCorinthos
Hitting buttons with timing is just so.... Nintendo to me.   If I wanted to hit buttons at the right time, I would go play Parappa.

Combos are great, but they should be done based on the order of your actions, or possibly what skills others in your group have.  Set up nice combos where say a fighter type and a mage type combine their skills into a combo.  Could be fun.

then you haven\'t played phantasy star online, it isn\'t what you think, you have a soft hit, medium hit, and hard hit
now if i repeadtedly mash hard hit i\'ll get 1 hit off and the stand there like and idiot, but if i hit it once then wait for the attack to take place, then at the right time come in with a follow up hard hit, then i have a 2 hit combo, now you could get up to for or five hit combos, mixing up hard, medium and soft hits. and each type of hit takes it\'s own amount of time to complete.
Knights of the Order
http://www.kotoguild.tk

DizzleCorinthos

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 10:14:51 am »
I havent played PSO.  I am just not a fan of trying to time a button sequence in a RPG.  I say leave that to the fighting games.