Author Topic: Ring of Summon Elemental  (Read 418 times)

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Ring of Summon Elemental
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:29:02 am »
Likely only parts of the idea are plausible. Take the good, toss the bad. It isn't an ego thing for me.

I'd like to see the option to complete a series of quests to obtain a ring of summon elemental. These would be high level quests - it's a powerful prize only usable by a high level player. Perhaps only master mages could get the first quest in the chain. The ring would allow an /elemental [way,] summon command identical to a pet summon. There would be one elemental for each way, and summoning it would require the ring to be encoded like for a mount. The elemental would follow the summoner for as long as it was present and provide buffs in the associated way and perhaps in one other ability. I was thinking that it's loyalty could be determined by a faction value associated with that way instead of empathy.

I was also thinking that elementals would look like a nondescript blob, differing only in color by way to make them easier to implement.

Please let me know if this idea is insane or merely stupid.

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Ring of Summon Elemental
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:36:47 am »
I do like the idea of elementals, though the nondescript blob part doesn't appeal to me. I picture the WoW water elemental pet when I think of it, but of course, PS's would have a different look I'm sure.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:01:59 am »
I've seen pokemon fights in Kada El's before with people literally naming their yulbars and groffels with pokemon names. The thought of that nonsense returning makes me shiver. WoW did have this feature and It was quite nice for fighting from a distance.

Setting wise, Animate Shadow is supposed to let you make the enemy's shadow come to life and attack the enemy. That would very interesting to see mechanics wise.

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 12:10:21 pm »
The idea of summoning elementals sounds great but it could just be a glyph combination for each type of elemental, using quite rare glyphs too and preferable at the last realm of a way. And besides that, an elemental mob could also be created and appear in very specific places with strong magic energies. Considering its only one model with 6 texture sets for 6 new elite mobs and 6 new spells I think its worth it ;)

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:07:51 pm »
I've seen pokemon fights in Kada El's before with people literally naming their yulbars and groffels with pokemon names. The thought of that nonsense returning makes me shiver.

That nonsense wouldn't be tolerated in Kada's, ICly - in fact Allelia would probably kick people out just for having their elementals up when they come in. It's not a matter of having pets or not having pets, it's good roleplay (an advanced mage using the elemental to divide an opponent's attention in combat) vs bad roleplay (mages pitting their elementals that take so much energy to summon and use against each other solely for 'fun'). Note that they didn't take pets away after people had Pokemon battles with them - the players took enough flak for their actions that it hasn't been done again.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 05:56:37 pm »
Well, being a master in a way requires some sort of maturity and wisdom to start with... A wizard doesn't take out his elementals for fun. If someone does that its firstly a matter of bad roleplaying, not whether Allelia would throw them out or not. We may have plenty of masters in many ways and skills but only 4-5 of the people I know can play the role of a powerful person without messing up.
And sorry for the  :offtopic:  :P

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 05:23:57 am »
I like this idea :D but I would suggest not to make it an option only for high level (skill wise) mages, we already have so much to grind (while I am not against people grinning if they have fun with it) and I think it would be more interesting as an option for a different kind of mage: we may have a "traditional" way mage and we would have a a different quest-chain for "elemental" mages. Of course as for the ways quests chain we may have higher and more powerful options as the skills increases. Also I would keep the empathy skill related to the new "elemental pet" (and the quest chain may require some knowledge of it to let you advance).
Otherwise we would always see the same maxed out people having everything cool.  ;)

I'd like to avoid the newbies feeling "oh ... well so I cannot have anything cool unless I train +200 skills??"  ;D

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 09:26:22 am »
A number of interesting opinions. Okay, so the shapeless blob idea is out  :D I was thinking that an elemental would be big. Ulber or consumer sized. After all, it is a incorporation of a terrifying magical energy. But what is a good shape for an elemental? A swirling midair sphere? A towering cluster of faceted crystals bursting from the ground? A floating giant mask?
I could see it being a high level spell instead of a ring. I just thought more quests would be fun and it would give shadow casters a whole new playground, gathering all the elementals for their ring. (gotta catch them all!)  :-X Learning the spells would work too though, especially if they needed to gather rare and hard to obtain glyphs. OTOH I agree that it shouldn't become part of the playground for hyperstatted chars that is difficult for those of us who aren't. Maybe getting the ring isn't that hard, getting the elemental to stick around is? Perhaps a timer that only allows occasional summoning - after you summon, it's a week till you can again or something. I really don't know.

I'm not sure how a player could fight an elemental either. An elemental is an avatar of a magical way, their material being is almost irrelevant to their existence.

-Cirerey, musing

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 01:10:02 pm »
I'm not sure how a player could fight an elemental either. An elemental is an avatar of a magical way, their material being is almost irrelevant to their existence.

-Cirerey, musing

I guess you have to fight magic with magic.  Or better yet, anti-magic.  I would love if anti-magic was like its own Way with spells like resist magic x% for a short time, negate the next spell cast at you (wears off after a while), cast at a mage to make their spells fail x% of the time for a while, and, of course, battle elementals (stun them, damage them, whatever).
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 06:04:00 am »

-Cirerey, musing

I guess you have to fight magic with magic.  Or better yet, anti-magic.  I would love if anti-magic was like its own Way with spells like resist magic x% for a short time, negate the next spell cast at you (wears off after a while), cast at a mage to make their spells fail x% of the time for a while, and, of course, battle elementals (stun them, damage them, whatever).

with the last update anti-magic seems to be gone forever, your way to resist a magic way is to know and counter that way (or having powerful magic item to specifically resist that way)

please remember that while an elemental could be pure spirit at his home (does other elemental dimension exists in this settings?) everything that is brought in a world where material beings exists should at least be made of some matter to live on (or there would be no consistency), surely that form could be very resistant.

And would you really leave those poor fighters unable to defend themselves against those elemental?  ;D

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 06:51:27 am »
Elementals as far as I know are not exactly spirits, they are elements in their purest form animated by a wizard. A fire elemental is just fire on its own and nothing more. That is what makes them immune to attacks of their own element and very vulnerable to attacks of the opposing element. So, all you need to destroy a fire elemental is Blue Way magic. Other methods might work too but will not be as effective.
The trick about elementals is they can't be all fought by anyone thus forcing the players to cooperate. A Blue Way mage will need some help when they encounter a water elemental, A Brown Way mage will need the help of an Azure mage for Earth elementals and so on.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:53:48 am by Chessire »

Cirerey

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 09:30:35 am »
I understand the idea of an elemental being living fire, living air, living death, whatever. I'm not sure if they need to be a creature you can fight directly like a monster. But it is fine with me if they turn out that way.

hulla

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:04:41 pm »
Hello everybody
i think the game dont need to have another kind of pet your "ordinary" pet can (in the futur ?) do more thing than he do just now i train empathy whit the hope to see my pet doing more things if i train
have you never opened the "pet info board" they are "real character" stuck in what they can do for now but full of opened things for tomorow (the ultimate thing they can do in the futur can be "doing quest for you" ? hehe)