Author Topic: Make some objects in game environment movable  (Read 384 times)

Shaz Zamari

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Make some objects in game environment movable
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:43:21 am »
Hi:)
I've been exploring the climability of parts of Hydlaa..lately..and been having some fun with it. I like the fact that..buildings are climbable at least to a point. I believe if a character could manipulate his envronment,  for example, by being able to push a crate or a chair or some other small piece of his envronment, this could really enliven RP more, and facilitate a greater interest in climbing than what we have now. Not everyone has a rivnak or drifter to get to high spots. Besides, it's just fun to climb with 'one's' own hands and feet.

I'm not certain whether this is too difficult to achieve in PS or not, but I hope it's seriously considered:)

Love the game by the way :thumbup:
Shaz Zamari: What did you do today, Marizel?
Marizel Deepwater: I got stoned!
Shaz Zamari: What!? Did anyone try to hurt you?
Marizel Deepwater: No..silly..I just couldn't think straight ...:) I was mining all day!

Timil Deeps

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Make some objects in game environment movable
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:20:37 am »
Shaz! Good to see ya. Was this inspired in part by seeing me at the feet of the Laanx statue?  ;D But yeah, movable and climbable objects would be cool. Even if it were just the ability to grab a chair in the tavern and slide it over to join a table where a conversation is taking place.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:05:36 am »
if you haven't noticed, your character has a stat for a climb ability. no idea how that will ever be implemented.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Shaz Zamari

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:36:16 am »

Aramara Meibi said
if you haven't noticed, your character has a stat for a climb ability. no idea how that will ever be implemented.

Yeah..I did notice Aramara:)..I think that one will just give u greater resistance to falling or less harm to life if you fall...not sure. But moving things about would make it more interesting and real ingame and could allow more climbing to take place. Imagine if you wanted to roleplay spying or being a thief...It would be cool. Roleplay accompanied by actions just make it more real:)

No Timil:)..sorry to say..it wasn't inspired by that..but it has been on my mind for a while..and i thought I would bring it up in the forum. And I still haven't got my Rivnak yet..so...I keep thinking how I can get up to certain places:)

Thanks for the comments guys!
Marizel Deepwater: No..silly..I just couldn't think straight ...:) I was mining all day!

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:44:38 am »
you can do some neat things within the confines of a guildhouse

Shaz Zamari

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:02:56 am »
Ooooh  ....I've got to try that Aramara;)..I suppose it should work in the Guildlaw as well?

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 10:15:11 am »
yes, i believe so. it used to work everywhere. you just stack objects (such as crates, chairs, fish delights) ontop each other and climb up. within a guildhouse those objects work with collision detection so you can stand on them. outside a guildhouse that collision detection is off.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:22:48 am »
Guildhouses are a significant exception. They have clipping (collision detection for items). So you could build some structure which can be actually used. For some reason it doesn't work outside. Can devs please explain the difference, and whether it's possible to enable clipping everywhere? One should be able to build a hut in the wild which actually can be used without walking through walls.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:27:05 am by Gilrond »

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:25:03 am »

It's historic and it did work before. Character could climb up the high mountains. As usual, "too much fun" and probably some technical reasons caused that to be switched off.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 12:21:34 pm »
Guildhouses are a significant exception. They have clipping (collision detection for items). So you could build some structure which can be actually used. For some reason it doesn't work outside. Can devs please explain the difference, and whether it's possible to enable clipping everywhere? One should be able to build a hut in the wild which actually can be used without walking through walls.

i believe they turned it off because people were doing exactly what dannae is doing in that picture.

also, trapping idle people in a cage built of apples and fish

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:51:32 pm »
I.e. "too much fun" once again? As if the game doesn't need to be more fun to play (I'm not even mentioning attracting new players with this attitude).

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 04:55:59 pm »
i.e. too much abuse.
it's not fun if someone builds a cage you cannot escape around you while you're afk or under the curse :P
or if people spam random items all over yliakum to climb up somewhere, etc.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 05:08:02 pm »
You call it abuse. I call it fun of the game. For the same reason mobs became static (it was too fun, or too abused according to others). If something mechanics can be changed. It doesn't make sense that you can't move a fish lying somewhere, and become trapped by apples.

I don't see any problem building a ladder to climb somewhere. It can be nicely RPed. It will give the game much more interesting activities, like an expedition to high BD mountains for example. Or something like construction / artisan work.  I don't mind making a makeshift bridge or some custom made house somewhere. If that's too heavy on the server - that's another story. But I don't agree with the abuse argument, which is used to take many good elements away from the game making it more static and dull.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:18:07 pm by Gilrond »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 05:55:20 pm »
idling is abuse

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 08:42:26 pm »
You call it abuse. I call it fun of the game. For the same reason mobs became static (it was too fun, or too abused according to others). If something mechanics can be changed. It doesn't make sense that you can't move a fish lying somewhere, and become trapped by apples.

Have you tried building an ACTUAL cage out of apples?  Good luck with that one...

And I'm surprised no one has thought of the simple solution.  Just make it so only unguarded objects have collision detection.  If someone tries to trap you with crates you can just move them.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.