Author Topic: Firearms in PS  (Read 2687 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Firearms in PS
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2012, 11:13:16 pm »
How would they add immersion?

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 03:27:10 am »

To me, something is lost when you add guns. I'm not sure what you would call it. There's something awesome about a good sword fight where skill and balls come into play. Magic gives fantasy, or high fantasy a kind of flavor and mystique thats not found in modern settings. Together, they fit quite nicely.  When one person whips out a sword or casts a spell, and the other pulls out a gun and busts a cap in their opponent's ass, that just ruins it for me. At that point, it is no longer fantasy/high fantasy...
Just because you COULD does not necessarily mean you SHOULD.

Fully agree! :thumbup:
Glad to meet you :)

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 06:52:28 am »
@Rigwyn: I can understand how one could be particularly hostile towards the idea. Especially because they may be afraid PS would turn into a first-person-shooter. But these aren't repeating firearms.

They would add immersion due to them adding more role-play. Plus the current path that yliakum is taking would have it making an absolute ton of sense. Engineers use mechanical items frequently in quests, and this could be another contraption; I'd say it would be a should.

Of course, one could assume that one would have an idea for a revolver, but the current technology of Yliakum points to primitive firearms. Considering the winch with it's assortment of horrors, there could even be cannons for such cases.

Now, one could easily say "Yliakum -hasn't- developed like this.

But it has. We should look at the winch, which everyone seems to know about. In addition to other mechanical devices. Plus the cases of explosions in-game? It would not only make sense for the world, it would, as I've said before, add immersion.
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 09:53:13 am »
You keep talking about "immersion" but you never explain what you mean.  You say it would "add roleplay."  How would having a gun add to roleplay in ways that a crossbow wouldn't?
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Vankseal Serozan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 10:00:26 am »
@ Rigwyn:  "Just because you COULD dose not necessarily mean you SHOULD." I believe most of us agree on this and are are waiting for a dev to shed some light. I understand what you are saying and agree that it could mess up the fantasy and I am leaning towards agreeing with you after giving it a lot of thought.

@ Knightspark9; I appreciate the enthusiasm you have toward the topic but I have to say a lot of your posts are mostly restating ideas from your previous posts. We can all read them and I hope anyone that is posting has already read all the posts made by others so they are not rehashing the same stuff.

As to the damage bows can deal compared to the damage old firearms can deal I would have to say the bow is going to out damage the firearm. I have used bows before in my life but not old firearms however I have spoken with a good friend whose brother did a lot with them. Why would a bow do more damage? Bows can be reloaded and fired within 5-7 seconds, if you're good you will still hit your mark often. Also you would be able to add a variety of poissons to the tip of your arrows to increase the damage dealt. The damage dealt from a arrow is a combination of piercing and cutting irl in game its just piercing where as the damage from a round ball fired from a gun would be more blunt and carry more energy. I was told that if you make your bullets from the right material they will transfer all their energy to the target possibly throwing the target a ways and nocking it down. With this in mind perhaps it would be best to make guns nock a target back or throw them to the ground so the effect is different from other ranged weapons (if we want them in game).     

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:05:44 am by Vankseal Serozan »

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 10:45:27 am »
Actually the idea that a bullet can knock someone to the ground is mostly myth.  Basic physics dictates that the amount of momentum the bullet can carry must be equal to the momentum pushed back onto the person firing the gun.  Therefore any bullet powerful enough to knock someone over would also knock over the person firing it.

If you don't believe me, the mythbusters mythbusted it.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 11:42:57 am »
This, and early fire arms were wildly inaccurate, because the actual bullet was not invented for some time. All early projectiles were round, semi-soft balls of iron or lead, mostly lead, and caromed around in the barrel, offering only a small chance to hit from short range, and almost no chance of hitting from long range.

Bows, for quite some time, outranked early fire arms. The only effective early ones were used in short range situations, like blunderbusses by the pirates for crowd control, or pistols when a man was close enough. Long range rifles were iffy at best and often malfunctioned.
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

Knightspark9

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Hear ye, hear ye, free ale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2012, 01:05:14 pm »
@tman: I believe I explained it well enough. The path that Yliakum takes leads to it, hence making it more believable, thus immersion.

@Vankseal Serozen: Sadly I do have to repeat ideas because it seems others seem to be missing the points, or we don't get anywhere because people say the same arguments, henceforth me having to say mine again.

@Cairn: Though long-range rifles were used in that time. People were willing to take the chance for greater range. I like the idea of blunderbusses and long-range rifles. Of course, the down-sides being said before.

As a side note, I think it would be interesting, and it would certainly make my experience better, instead of worse.
Ardoin: So, do you drink moonshine?
Earowo: As long as it has alcohol, I'll drink it.

Vankseal Serozan

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2012, 02:11:20 pm »
Actually the idea that a bullet can knock someone to the ground is mostly myth.  Basic physics dictates that the amount of momentum the bullet can carry must be equal to the momentum pushed back onto the person firing the gun.  Therefore any bullet powerful enough to knock someone over would also knock over the person firing it.

If you don't believe me, the mythbusters mythbusted it.

Some of what I said is personal experience and some is what my friend told me so I can't be sure of it throwing the target (btw idk how heavy of loads this guy used, I was told he bruised his whole shoulder and side up once with one shot when he was playing around with heavy loads in his muzzle loader and he was a big guy.). My personal experience of using modern firearms is that even with a metal but plat I don't fall over when the target does but that is most likely due to were it been hit and the damage done, not the total amount of energy transfered. I forgot that these are old weapons we are talking about that do not have the modern recoil absorption systems like the guns today that can reduce the recoil of a 50 cal into an easily manageable kick and that baby can throw things XD. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:23:05 pm by Vankseal Serozan »

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2012, 03:56:01 pm »
We have reviewed the proposal, but we decided this doesn't fit in the current PS setting. There maybe be pretty advanced mechanisms, but firearms will completely change the dynamics of combat, by making it less heroic, and so less in line with what we think PS should be.