Author Topic: Weather in Yliakum  (Read 165 times)

carua

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Weather in Yliakum
« on: May 06, 2012, 04:38:41 pm »
As I've mentioned elsewhere I've been out of the game for around 2 years so this may be an irrelevant question.Also,my computer is having some issues with the game so I can't check this myself.
Settings questions;
Does it rain in Yliakum?
Where does the rain come from?
Are there seasons?

I assume its some changes in the crystal accounts for seasons,but things like wind or rain doesnt really work in an underground closed world.Can anyone tell me if there's a reason for it,if not I can science up some reasons if they aren't in game
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:42:38 pm by carua »

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Weather in Yliakum
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 05:12:48 pm »
I have another question; we know that, since the Crystal doesn't move, some places are always never exposed to Crystallight. How comes grass (and even trees) still grow in such place?

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 05:28:52 pm »
as far as i know, the ceiling of the dome is high enough to create a dynamic atmosphere. There's also somewhere that explains that water seeps in through crack in the dome and can fall like rain.

I have another question; we know that, since the Crystal doesn't move, some places are always never exposed to Crystallight. How comes grass (and even trees) still grow in such place?

i think this is just a lack of consideration of the settings by those who modeled the environment. but! plants don't necessarily need direct sunlight to grow, and can do fine with indirect or ambient light. The entire surface of the dome is rock and rock reflects light, (don't believe me? look at the moon), so most land surfaces at least on the upper levels should receive enough light for plants to grow.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:37 am »
Yes, there are seasons. Yliakum still has an indirect connection to the planet surface, not only the light from the outer sun passes the Crystal, but also the temperatures still have influence to some degree. In the Character Creation, you can read about the ten months, as well as in the "Yliakum Calendar" wiki page.

And Aramara is certainly right, the Dome is high enough to leave room for cloud growth. You can see the walls around the Eagle Bronze Doors disappear in haze.

@ carua: If you can enable weather in pslaunch (provided your graphic card is powerful enough to display it without too much delay), you can see some effects now and then: More or less heavy rain, sometimes even snow, slight mist to thick fog. But the system is rather random, and you can only have separate weather per sector, which means there may be snow in just one half of the East Passage... Unfortunately, changing the weather is a risky moment, some clients crash, others just lock up for a few seconds. And the rendering is often wrong, e.g. even slight haze during rain can completeny tint half of the screen in white or grey. Bugs to be fixed somewhere between CrystalSpace and PlaneShift.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty