Author Topic: Update to Mining, Harvesting and Fishing Rules!  (Read 1518 times)

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Update to Mining, Harvesting and Fishing Rules!
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 04:09:28 pm »
at this point 2 rules are being discussed:
- the mining chance formula to get ore will be reworked very soon, at the moment it gives too low results;
- second we are thinking about awarding practice points for mining/harvesting even for failures, this will improve the overall training speed for those skills but we did not came to decision yet

Those are great and logical ideas. Failing still should give practice, since one learns on errors. Also, please fix the sapphire weight bug - they are 4 times heavier than other gems (2 vs 0.5) at the moment.

bilbous

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »
If enchanting of crystals is going to remain one at a time--/use the enchanter can the enchanter be changed to an anvil type thing so we can shortcut the process? or is there some kind of booster that goes in the off hand as someone suggested to me.

leffo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »
Hi all

Any news on when the mining chance formula to get ore will be reworked?
I am currently getting somewhere in the range of 1/3 to 1/4 of the success rate I had before the change.
This is with mining skill level 11 digging for iron.
I am in the same spot as before the change, meaning I am equally close or far to the sweet spot of the mine.

/Fenor

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 03:38:46 am »
Hi all

Any news on when the mining chance formula to get ore will be reworked?
I am currently getting somewhere in the range of 1/3 to 1/4 of the success rate I had before the change.
This is with mining skill level 11 digging for iron.
I am in the same spot as before the change, meaning I am equally close or far to the sweet spot of the mine.

/Fenor

hi the mining chance formula has been reworked and released, the lowest mining chance has been raised with the new formula. however before the change in mining quality there were too low skill requirements and this meant that almost everyone was able to get 300q ore very easily and this had to be fixed. Rising your skill will surely improve your chances. Also we are thinking about assigning practice point even for failed attempt.

Pakarro

• Hydlaa Resident
  • My kind mistress is Pakerl from "The Family"
    • View Profile
    • meet Pakerl
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 04:38:37 am »
Also we are thinking about assigning practice point even for failed attempt.

Yes, please! Mathematically, one could do the same by adjusting the practice points for the skill. But this is more intuitive :)

Have a nice time!
Glad to meet you :)

leffo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 07:08:44 pm »
I would recommend anyone responsible for the current formula to start a new character and raise your mining skill.

/Fenor

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 09:43:09 pm »
RP wise - ore is ore. I have hard time imagining what 300q ore vs 50q ore means, when you simply use a rockpick in the mine. The skill can affect speed, and ability to find a good vein, but when you dig in the same place - resulting quality will be the same, no matter what the skill.

bilbous

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 10:44:04 pm »
When you are using a pick against a rock-face you will get pieces of varying sizes and consistency. I think it is fairly rare to have ore-beds that are big enough to follow without chewing through a lot of dross as well. It isn't like here is this seam and it is 1 foot wide going straight back into the cliff 20 feet so all I have to do is keep my pick on line. A quality 300 ore will be one that is almost pure hematite  not mixed with calcite or serpentine, for example. A quality 50 ore could have bubbles of hematite bound up in the calcite constituting less than 50% of the mass. It would be theoretically possible to pre-process the ore to improve the quality which could be using a hammer and chisel to remove more of the unwanted material.

It is this way of understanding -- right or wrong -- that makes me think it would be better to have no quality associated with ore and the results differentiated by the amount of ore you get. The quality of the ore is irrelevant for crafting purposes and the only real benefit to the current system is that miners can sell to the npc's and not be beholden to the metallurgists.

All the same this is what we have so we need to work with it.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 12:30:48 am »
RP wise a better quality ore means the miner was able to get an ore with less impurity, which is more valuable, and the quality of ore and plants does affect the crafted item quality.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 02:44:48 am »
I mean - purity of the ore is determined by the location, not so much by the skill. But I may be wrong.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 04:08:00 pm »
On a side note, placement of gem mines is a bit strange. For example vandalizing the floor in the great hall to extract gems from there doesn't look like something acceptable :)

Since you already moving the mines around, can you place some gem mines in the caves in the crater or some other logical places? Caves for sure could benefit from some mines, since now they are barely visited by anyone (there is nothing of interest there).

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 04:35:55 pm »
Since you already moving the mines around, can you place some gem mines in the caves in the crater or some other logical places? Caves for sure could benefit from some mines, since now they are barely visited by anyone (there is nothing of interest there).
sounds like a good idea