Author Topic: Shortcuts Window  (Read 684 times)

peren

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Shortcuts Window
« on: July 24, 2012, 01:40:04 pm »
I must be missing something. I've seen several mentions of a shortcuts window which allows for custom 'macros', or chains of shortcuts assigned to a key. Does it still exist? I can't find it anywhere!
Thanks

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Shortcuts Window
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 02:39:43 pm »
You can make the shortcuts window visible by either clicking the "Shortcuts" buttons in your main tool-bar (usually at the top of the screen) or by typing "/show shortcut" in the chat window.

It should be a window with several already predefined buttons. You an create a new shortcut (or change an existing one) by right-clicking one of the buttons. That should get you a window where you can define the shortcut. First always give the shortcut a name there or it won't be saved if you close that window. In the "Enter command(s)" box you can type all the commands that should get executed by this shortcut. Put each command in a new line there. Example:
Code: [Select]
/advisor on
/advisor list
This would turn on the advisor mode and print out all open help requests.

For a description of all commands check the in-game help. Of course you can put commands that send text as chat as well (For example with the /say, /me or /auction commands)

With the "set" button at the top-right you can assign a key to this shortcut.

Now to what is not possible:
- You can't exchange the positions of shortcuts...so a good planning of shortcut groups might be good idea.
- The commands won't wait for the previous command to finish..means, you can't put two /cast commands in one shortcuts. It will only result in the first /cast command being executed and the second giving an error because your char is already casting a spell.
- There are only 200 different shortcuts...so you will run out of shortcuts pretty quickly. Might need to remove unused ones often again.

Last but no least..the shortcuts are defined in the <ps-config-directory>/options/shortcutcommands.xml file. In case of longer shortcuts it might be nice to edit that file directly with a text editor.

Edit: Actually I think all this should be described in the in-game help as well. At least I wrote a description for that in my version, not sure if it was included. The images I made of the process are for sure missing in the offical help though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:44:44 pm by Aiwendil »

peren

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 07:06:04 pm »
Yes, I did read most of that online. Thanks for copying it though! I didn't read the bit about the command line (/show shortcut). That works!

And then, I realized you can right click on the gem! Holy cow! I had been stuck on the toolbar which only shows a few icons. Planeshift just got cooler. Now, can that be more obvious? I'll file a bug if someone hasn't already.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:05:28 am »
Unfortunately there are several places where "the development" believes that new players shall be "protected" from an overwhelming user interface, and completely ignore the warnings from advisors with months of experience in the Help channel that very useful parts are being withheld, and that the explanation of their activation is very elaborate. There are people who are unable to imagine that e.g. new players already join a guild after just a few hours of playing and immediately miss the Guild Chat...

Rule #1.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 04:05:43 am »
OMG...are you serious? In the default config players have no simple "click" access to shortcuts? Sorry peren, I wasn't aware of so much stupidity in the default config. And come on LigH...haven't you seen how the actual player number doubled the last years...those "sane" default config just must be great.

(and just because the /show command usually doesn't get very much attention..it's also great to setup different screen layout in a shortcut. For example you could use it to hide most windows except inventory and chat to setup a special trading screen. Then just assign a key to that shortcut and you can switch screen-layouts with one key-press)

peren

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:23:33 pm »
Aiwendil,
I like the idea about using /show to create screen layouts. The problem I've had with that is that /show is a toggle. So, if I already have one of the windows in my new layout open, it is closed by the command. Have you gotten it to work differently?

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 04:53:19 am »
Ugh..sorry, my fault. I use a heavily modified client and obviously added an option to it to force closing and opening of windows. Just checked the original sourcecode and it's indeed not possible there. If there is an interest in the "show <windowname> open|close" command I can post a patch for it. But seeing how patches are handled lately I don't think there is any chance to get it included in the offical client so that patch would only help those who compile PS themselves which probably is only a very small number of people :/.