Author Topic: Unable to reach server  (Read 868 times)

Bubebolos

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Unable to reach server
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:02:35 am »
I'm forced to run my internet through a collegiate system, login info, yadda yadda. I've made a hole for the program in my personal firewall, gone through and checked program files, updated, repaired, etc. and yet still no luck. I constantly get a message in the midst of character creation saying that the server is disconnected, wait 5 minutes and try again.
Any way around this?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to reach server
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:33:37 am »
The routing will have to forward UDP packets, that might be the most common problem. Some NAT or proxy solutions only support TCP (e.g. for HTTP and FTP).

The game server expects UDP communication with its port 7777, but your local PC's UDP port may be any random number, your firewall only has to open the same UDP port for listening which sent, which is a rather usual behaviour for many firewalls (except for some paranoid ones).

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Bubebolos

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:32:07 am »
I created a rule for allowing UDP port 7777, even shut my firewall down for a few minutes. Made exceptions for PlaneShift in the rules, etc. etc. it's still giving me this issue....

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 01:26:39 pm »
Once again: You don't have to keep UDP port 7777 on your network open. It is port 7777 on the server somewhere out there in the internet.

We may have to know more about the structure of the local network. Are there routers separating subnets?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

BoevenF

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Amdeneir citizen, mostly travelling
    • View Profile
    • The Doømed Ones SVG
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:07:41 am »
I believe this could help. The only drawback it's the need of another remote machine for tunneling.
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=40724.0