Author Topic: Kubuntu 12.10 Report  (Read 567 times)

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Kubuntu 12.10 Report
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:52:14 am »
Trying to get PS running again after a new install of Kubuntu 12.10.  The install ran fine, then the launcher, which upgraded itself properly and then the rest of PS.

On clicking PLAY however, I get endless scrolling messages:
The launcher installer Failed to remove file /this/pslaunch.tmp.bin

I'll keep at it, and will record the process and results here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:03:46 pm by Xanthan »

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Kubuntu 12.10 Report
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:41 pm »
I managed to get it running directly via psclient.  It seems to run fairly well using the open source drivers (AMD/ATI no longer supports my 1 1/2-year old graphics card!).  However, I've experienced a hang and crash.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »
Xarthan! Keep at it Friend, cause we miss you IG... I have no tech skills, so instead I'll mix ooc and ic and cast some "hang and crash" relief spells over your kubuntu!

Your Pal and Guildmate
Roled the RedKnot
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 06:57:50 pm »
Thanks Roled.  I'd love to get back in-game again, and see the old KS crowd for sure!

Are people using recent linux distros and unsupported ATI cards having success using legacy Catalyst or mesa?  The former seems like a temporary solution, since it won't work unless you downgrade to an old X.Org, and that won't be viable for very long.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:13:57 pm »
Can't help you here, since I stick with Nvidia only. It proved to be the least painful on Linux.

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:00:23 pm »
Thinking it might be some holdover from my old setup, I moved and let PS create a new .PlaneShift directory.  Now it gets as far as starting the client and getting through the "loading bar", then dies before entering 3D.  So not as good...

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »
For what its worth, I had no problem getting it to run on Ubuntu 12.04 ( after installing OS updates and Nvidia's video driver ). I run it from my home dir instead of /opt

Did you by chance try lowering settings in pslaunch to minimal values to ensure that its not some sort of resource shortage?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 02:14:19 am »
For "legacy" graphic chips (including all intel's), it may be worth trying if disabling GLSL gets you one step further.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 03:21:53 pm »
Thanks LigH.  That's not it, apparently, but I will keep trying.

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 10:31:58 pm »
I never got it to stay running for more than a minute.  Sad to think that AMD won't support a two-year-old video card.  Though I'm also not certain why X.org becomes incompatible with older drivers as it's updated.  The lack of compatibility over time is frustrating for those of us who don't want to buy new computers every year, or run Windows.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 07:51:48 am »
Ok, I went back to Windows 7 , on my Acer, after trying Ubuntu 12.10. I couldn't get PS to run on it. I finally updated the old Dell to 13.4 and had a little trouble but just with the permissions and had to down-grade my graphics a little.

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 11:08:45 am »
Just a happy followup note.  I tried an update a couple of weeks ago, and things now seem to be running fine.  I've begun a little exploring, and hope to be back in Yliakum sometime soon.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »
Just a happy followup note.  I tried an update a couple of weeks ago, and things now seem to be running fine.  I've begun a little exploring, and hope to be back in Yliakum sometime soon.

YEAH!!!!!
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala