Author Topic: Yace [yet another combat event]  (Read 3799 times)

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Yace [yet another combat event]
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 02:40:53 am »
Hello Bonifarzia!

Thank you for organizing this exciting event. My impression is that both participants and spectators had fun, which is the most important thing.  \\o//  \\o//  \\o//
Maybe the rules can be formulated fine-tuned a bit - in some duels it seemed that the remaining health was not really the same.  :oops: And some rules might be formulated a bit better so as to make clear to everybody that it is not necessarily the first hit that decides about the outcome.
But it was fun, which is the most important thing.
Run the event again, and I will also participate. Yesterday I had to split my attention and was only "half" there.

Travel safely.

Gonger Xaraha, of the Bounty Hunters

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 02:46:46 am »
And Haraun wound certainly have had more victories if he had been able to stay longer.

Yes, true, and the situation was similar with Firke, who first struggled with configuring his key bindings, which delayed his first round quite a bit. It is not that important who has won how many rounds, all that matters for me is that everyone was enjoying the games, so thanks for your feedback.

Gonger: I first planned to state a clear health limit like 50 hit points, but then again, I preferred the term "fully depleted" because exact limits are really hard to enforce. I can see relative health, but for a character with far more than 2000 hp it is fairly hard to tell whether 50 or 100 hp are left. Therefore and because of passive health regeneration, I stated that "very few hits - typically the first - will end the duel". That's what i wrote some ten hours before the event, and was written on the poster in game, too.

I am open for your suggestions. The main problem I see right now is to avoid delays or false starts at the beginning of each round. Sometimes players started fighting before i gave the sign, sometimes they were waiting for me because i was not sure whether they were ready.

EDIT: Kiaerulf  just made two good points in the gossip chat. First, failing research works without glyphs (null combo). Second it makes sense to enforce minimal health by defeating both fighters before a round begins. This takes a bit of time but ensure the starting health is always fair. We discussed about using magic for this, but now I think a bow will be perfect (no effects, long range). This can be done by a trusted assistant to speed things up - worst case, i can do that too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:54:08 am by Bonifarzia »

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 06:35:27 am »

Update: As the feedback was very positive and people do not seem to be bored of this, I have added a new time and date exactly one weak after the first game.

Also, I have changed the OoC description in the leading post quite a bit. The main difference will be that before each duel begins, both players are defeated with a bow so they really start with low and equal health.

Concerning the administration, it can make sense to have an announcer who will focus on commenting the games, so I can act as a referee and focus on the mechanics of this. I can do both, but splitting this up can save a bit of time. On the other hand, I think the delays were not too bad last time.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 08:24:29 pm »
I think the usage of the bow should definitely help with the minor problems we encountered with some players being hit for damage and not going down.

I thought the event itself was a great success, and I hope I can return to catch the second one.  Thanks again for playing host, Boni.  ;)
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:02 am »
* Lumi is honored by both Esanor's words and Bonifarzia kind intentions

Thanks !!  :-[

It's a good idea to have 2 different people, one to "RP" the event by announcements and comments on the matches and one for Referee. Might even add some more fun.

And i agree with Caraick, thanks for hosting this Boni  :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:23:58 am by Lumi »
<*> The Way of the Hammer <*>

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 02:35:47 am »
Special thanks to Daevaorn for moderating the yace games of yesterday, so I could focus on the administration of the rounds. We had another tournament packed with 30 rounds of action. Lumi dominated this time with 16 victories, winning nearly all of her rounds, followed by Potare and Dalos (each 5 victories). Thanks for everyone who attended, I do hope you enjoyed the show.

Here is the summary of all rounds.

Player victories  rounds
      Lumi    16  19
    Potare     5    9
     Dalos     5  11
  Kiaerulf     2    7
     Bakin     1    7
   Stalfos     1    5
   Wolferz     0    1
    Hirene     0    1

round    winner      opponent
  1        Lumi         Dalos
  2        Lumi         Bakin
  3        Lumi        Potare
  4        Lumi        Hirene
  5       Dalos          Lumi
  6       Dalos      Kiaerulf
  7      Potare         Dalos
  8      Potare       Stalfos
  9      Potare         Bakin
10        Lumi        Potare
11    Kiaerulf          Lumi
12       Dalos      Kiaerulf
13       Dalos         Bakin
14      Potare         Dalos
15        Lumi        Potare
16        Lumi      Kiaerulf
17     Stalfos          Lumi
18       Bakin       Stalfos
19       Dalos         Bakin
20      Potare         Dalos
21    Kiaerulf        Potare
22        Lumi      Kiaerulf
23        Lumi       Stalfos
24        Lumi         Bakin
25        Lumi         Dalos
26        Lumi       Wolferz
27        Lumi      Kiaerulf
28        Lumi       Stalfos
29        Lumi         Bakin
30        Lumi         Dalos

Mouli

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 02:53:47 am »
Mouli stands & claps for Lumi
"Congrats Lumi !"

And Thx Boni & Daevaorn
Too many chiefs, not enough Indians...

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 04:55:28 am »
cheers boni and daevaorn

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 08:27:21 am »
Reasoning again about the administration of this, I think these are the remaining problems and possible solutions.

1) Declined /challenge or /invite commands prevent me from using them again for a few minutes, which was the reason for the first big bad delay. Solution: I should make it very clear that players should decline a /challenge via /yield and an /invite via /groupleave.

2) Players still tend not to fetch their rewards, so it is maybe simpler if I hand those out actively after each round. This should work well during the time one player is locked due to defeat.

3) Delays mostly happen when players enter the pit. I will therefore /challenge the player for the next round a bit earlier, just after hitting the two current fighters with arrows. You can then prepare to enter the pit as soon the fight is over.

I am willing to host this game again, so feel free to make your suggestions for the next time and date.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:29:37 am by Bonifarzia »

Bakin_Fundinson

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Improving life for Stonehammers Dome-wide :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 01:41:53 pm »
Thanks for a good event.
I had a good time.
 :flowers:
Best regs,

Bakin
We, all of us, serve a higher purpose. Finding it out, however... :)

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 12:36:07 pm »
The Yace games are not over yet. Last week, there was the convention of magic [as well as Easter holiday], this week it is time for another champion's cup and next week there will be the challenge of minds. Technically, I can host another round of Yace any time, it simply should not collide with another event. Also it will be great to have Daevaorn on board again as a moderator if the time will be suitable for him. Furthermore, the summaries and stats (victories per rounds) will be easy to publish, as they are extracted from the logs with a little script.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:45:24 pm by Bonifarzia »

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2013, 04:24:04 am »
Let us make a suggestion: Sat 13th of april 20:30 GMT.
Challenge of minds seems to start 2.5h earlier, so that should be okay.

EDIT: We will find another time and date.
According to the event calendar, it [A challenge of minds] is 22:00 CEST (GMT+2).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:03:38 am by Bonifarzia »

kiaerulf

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 07:57:31 am »
What about running it at Sundays instead? Not as many events at that day it seems ... except dev meetings. Also more people might have time to join if its not too late (European time) like 18:00GMT  (that's 20:00CEST).

- Kia

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 09:05:11 am »
Yace is not dead... sorta... at least it has not really faced true perma-death  :whistling:

Looking back at the past events, I still have the feeling it will be worth hosting another game or a few more, on the other hand I am amazed how much time has passed since the last round took place. Well, from the technical side, there is no difficulty to administrate a game and to do the statistics. The main difficulty is to announce a suitable time, and to have some help for the RP side, like someone acting as an announcer while I am busy with the mechanics of the game.
Feel free to share your thoughts.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 09:06:28 am »
It shall not be dead; you know, Lumi is back...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty